Reload this Page >

Taking a vacation day... to work

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to see what you guys thought of this. Let's say you take a PTO/vacation day from work (not referring to a sick day). Is it wrong to then do a part time job on that day off?? For example, let's say you are an office worker and in your part time you are a photographer. Is it wrong to take a vacation day with the intention of going to a gig to take photos?
Old 03-23-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on your work policy. Every place is different. I think at my job we are allowed secondary employment as long as it's not a conflict of interest, or a conducted during normal business hours. So if at my job, I were working during 8-5 during the week, I could get in trouble or even fired.
Old 03-23-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's your time off. Do with it as you feel.
Old 03-23-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's your time off. Do with it as you feel.
Exactly. You owe no explanation either.
Old 03-23-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It isn't their concern....unless you have a non-compete and it violates that or something similar.
Old 03-23-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have done it before, no big deal its a vacation day.
Old 03-23-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Depends on your work policy. Every place is different. I think at my job we are allowed secondary employment as long as it's not a conflict of interest, or a conducted during normal business hours. So if at my job, I were working during 8-5 during the week, I could get in trouble or even fired.
I believe my company has the same policy.
Old 03-24-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it would seem stupid but yes, it may matter. it my job, we are not supposed ot moonlight (aka work extra shiftwork at various hospitals, usually overnight call or ER work) unless it is cleared from our dpeartment chair since the time we are working outside of our regular job still contributes towards (and may push you over) the 80 hour work week or the 10 hours out fo the hospital or not more than 30 hours of continual service. people sstill do it, though
Old 03-24-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I work in I.T. at a university, and even here the hiring agreement says that you will not have a second job AT ALL without managerial approval. So even if I wanted to work the weekend overnight Burger King shift, a job that couldn't possibly interfere or have anything to do with this one, I'm still supposed to get prior approval.
Old 03-25-08, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to sign off on an annual statement indicating that I am not engaging in business that the company would deem competitive. I guess 'competitive' would mean that the company could offer the same services.
Old 03-25-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, you need to check. My company also has a policy of "conflict of interest". And just because it is not a competitor doesn't mean there couldn't be a conflict of interest.

In your example lets say your an office worker. And through your work you meet a co-worker or a customer who randomly mentions a daughters wedding. You tell them you are a part time photographer and get the gig. Some companies would view this as a conflict of interest for various reasons (you could be perceived on selling another business while working for them, could they be held liable should something go wrong, etc).
Old 03-25-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no.
Old 03-25-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's 2 different issues people are discussing here. First is whether the second job is ok or not. The second, which seems to be the OPs question, is if it is ok to take a vacation day to do what is otherwise an accepted 2nd job.
Old 03-25-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
There's 2 different issues people are discussing here. First is whether the second job is ok or not. The second, which seems to be the OPs question, is if it is ok to take a vacation day to do what is otherwise an accepted 2nd job.

Correct... I'm really asking the 2nd question, but honestly I have no idea if it is okay at my job to have a 2nd job.
Old 03-25-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My manager, who is a very busy guy, has been known to take vacation time which he uses to spend at home working remotely. That way people don't bother him and he gets a lot more done. This has happened on more than one occasion, although to be fair it's usually when he's in danger of finishing a quarter with more than 200 hours vacation which means he'd lose the extra.

Yes, my co-workers make fun of him.
Old 03-25-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuck no. Its your time off. Do whatever you want with it and make no apologies for it.
Old 03-25-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's the second question, then it doesn't matter what you are doing on your time off.
Old 03-25-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Which I addressed in my post. If the 2nd job occurs during normal business hours you can't work it. Doesn't matter if it's approved or not. So, if you took a vacation day and worked that 2nd job on your "off" day, you'd still be in violation of my place of employment's policy.