Reload this Page >

Calling all gay otters!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Calling all gay otters!

Old 03-22-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all gay otters!

Please explain to me why a student LGBT group would be offended by this.

Article link (with logo pic0

Burger joint's name, logo irks LGBT group
New restaurant's logo described by some as demeaning
By: Jillian Berman, Daily Staff Reporter
Posted: 3/21/08

When the owners of Quickie Burger and Dogs chose their logo, they thought it would make patrons crave an order of chili cheese fries. But the logo, a busty woman in a tight shirt straddling a hamburger, has drawn criticism from campus groups.

The newest addition to the South State Street landscape has caused a stir on campus with its brightly colored logo, which some believe is offensive.

The restaurant, which opened two weeks ago, sits south of campus at the intersection of State and Hill streets. Adorning the blue awning above the restaurant next to its name is an image of a cowgirl riding a hamburger.

The Stonewall Democrats, a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender caucus of the University's College Democrats chapter, has taken offense with the restaurant's logo and recently began circulating a petition to sway the owners to change the logo.

LSA senior Kolby Roberts, a member of the Stonewall Democrats who has led the effort, said he finds the logo's message inappropriate and offensive.

"I have a problem that you take a women riding a hamburger and you put it next to the word 'quickie,' " he said. "It just seems like it's not putting a good message out there for the objectification of women."

Maria Arman, whose family owns the restaurant, said the logo was meant to invoke a cowboy theme.

"We were thinking beef, rodeo, so instead of putting a cowboy, we just picked a cowgirl," she said. "It's a rodeo-style cowgirl riding a bull, but instead, it's a burger. It was put together to be funny and different. No offense was meant to anyone."

Before selecting a logo for the restaurant, which features a maize and blue color scheme with televisions tuned to ESPN on the interior, the owners showed the logo to more than 100 people and none of them objected, Arman said.

"The people who we talked to told us, 'It's a college town and the kids will think its funny,'" she said.

LSA freshman Dan Yeomans said while he wasn't personally offended by the logo, he could see how others might interpret it in a negative way.

"I could see the same people who were offended by the South Quad T-shirts taking offense to this," said Yeomans, referring to a batch of dorm-sponsored shirts that featured lyrics from the popular, but controversial Soulja Boy song "Crank That."

Roberts said he believed the image was distasteful, regardless of the person.

"Basically, what it has is a provocatively dressed woman straddling a hamburger, and she's very busty and its kind of really horrible," he said.

Roberts and the Stonewall Democrats have begun circulating a petition, which he said currently has about 100 signatures. The group plans to send a letter along with the petition to the owners. The restaurant's name, he said, isn't a problem.

Roberts said the purpose of the letter and petition is to convince the Armans to alter the logo.

"I don't think anyone has a problem with the name because it implies that I'm going to get a quick burger," he said. "Instead, we're just thinking about getting rid of the logo. Maybe trying to change it so it's less offensive."

Arman said she would be open to talking with the protesters.

"We will consider talking to them," she said. "We're open-minded. We're not here to offend anyone or to make anyone angry."
I don't see how its offensive, but then I probably lack the ability of being offended as a typical straight person.
Old 03-22-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-22-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Bobbi Flekman: You put a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck, and a leash, and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black glove in her face to sniff it. You don't find that offensive? You don't find that sexist?
Ian Faith: This is 1982, Bobbi, c'mon!
Bobbi Flekman: That's right, it's 1982! Get out of the '60s. We don't have this mentality anymore.
Ian Faith: Well, you should have seen the cover they wanted to do! It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Old 03-22-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would expect it to be more offensive to feminists than to GLBT people. In fact, all the trannies I know would love it!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old 03-22-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these people retarded? Jesus Christ! It seems like this group just looks to cause problems. This is as bad as the horseshit Al Sharpton pulls. Maybe they should save their efforts for REAL issues that affect gays and lesbians, not a sign that features a hot chick riding a burger. She isn't even scantily clad, and she should be. Actually, why are gays and lesbians even offended here? Isn't the only complaint that it's objectifying a woman? Shouldn't feminists be all over this instead of a local gay/lesbian group?
Old 03-22-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If she was riding a hotdog, maybe I could see the concern ...

Overreaction at its best!
Old 03-22-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like Pink Taco, I bet this is a great way to get some free publicity.
Old 03-22-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get it.

However, keep in mind that feminist and gay rights groups on campus are often closely linked.
Old 03-22-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Like Pink Taco, I bet this is a great way to get some free publicity.

Solidarity now!
Old 03-22-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh. I saw the logo first, assumed she had a groetesque misshapen labia and was offended. But according to the story, that's not her labia, it's a burger. Maybe the people protesting haven't been told it is a burger either.
Old 03-22-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a lesbian, I don't find it offensive and don't see the problem with it. Thankfully I've never been "PC" and uptight like the Gays in question regarding this BS.
Old 03-22-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
First, I thought crazyronin was using Other as a dating service, which we all know it is not.

Second, I, along with others, don't see what the big deal is.

Third, Tracer seems to have the most logical reasoning.

Fourth, there's an Arby's joke in kvrdave's post, but I won't go there.
Old 03-22-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
First, I thought crazyronin was using Other as a dating service, which we all know it is not.
I was going to title the thread "I need a gay otter NOW!" but I knew that I would get the "DVDTalk is not a dating service!!!11!!eleventy!" response.

Judging from who responded, I'm shocked, SHOCKED that there are so many that I didn't know were gay (except for kvrdave, who came out in the "Post your pic, you big wuss!" thread.)
Old 03-22-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotta do something to stay in the news and public eye.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a gay Otter.
Old 03-22-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bronkster
If she was riding a hotdog, maybe I could see the concern ...

Overreaction at its best!
If it was this, I'd could understand the issue.

Old 03-22-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
If it was this, I'd could understand the issue.

A mouthful of meat in every bite that comes with "special mayonnaise"

Last edited by Mankal; 03-22-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 03:06 PM

You are all familiar with what "burger" is slang for, correct?
Old 03-22-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Only when it's preceded by "fur"
Old 03-22-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty! Off to the Bearded Clam store!
Old 03-22-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Yes, and it's one hell of a stretch to associate the two, given it's a damn restaurant. I'd think a picture of a hamburger would be rather accurate. If this was a strip club, and you had the same image, then I'd be more inclined to agree this could be an issue. But it isn't. It's at a burger joint. And holy fuck, I just said "joint", so I must be a pothead as well.

If a woman spread her legs and revealed a 100lb hamburger with all the trimmings, why, I'd be dating more.

I guess I better go across the street, where a sexy man is riding a big batch of fries.

And we all know what "fries" mean, don't we. French. Fry.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-22-08 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Douchebag
Basically, what it has is a provocatively dressed woman straddling a hamburger, and she's very busty and its kind of really horrible
Bigot. If I were the manager, I'd publicly inquire whether a compromise to change the cowgirl to a traditionally dressed cowboy would be acceptable. When he accepted, I'd then loudly demand he explain why his organization promotes bigotry and discrimination against women based on their physical appearance.

das
Old 03-22-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Woof! I could go for that hot dog...
Old 03-22-08, 06:28 PM

It's pretty obvious why this is offensive. I've added those who pretend they can't see it to my ignore list. *snap*
Old 03-22-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And holy fuck, I just said "joint", so I must be a pothead as well.
It's your turn to bring the munchables
Old 03-22-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The picture in question...
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
...doesn't even come close to the pure, raw, unadulterated sex-appeal of Disney's Pecos Bill's Babe: 'Slue Foot Sue'...

...and if Mr. Disney didn't think there was anything offensive with her, I sure as HELL don't either!

YIKE-SAKE!

What a ABSOLUTE BABE, INDEEDY!

What IN THE WORLD would make folks act so vehemently against a harmless picture of a babe (in PANTS) riding a hamburger?

I wonder if these same people would have made all this 'Hub-Hub' over Sue (in a SHORT SKIRT) riding a friggin' catfish?

(There's something more than meets the eye going on here if ya ask me...)

-Pablo

Last edited by The Edit King; 03-22-08 at 09:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.