Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpot?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpot?

Old 02-12-15, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpo

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
If possible, I would keep it a secret that I had won. Then, I would live out my fantasy: to go into work and say exactly what I wanted to to co-workers and customers until I got fired. And it would have to be very slow and subtle. No drastic change of character, no yelling, no profanities, no threats. Just measured, calm, yet brutally honest comments that, while not specifically breaking company policy, would become absolutely unacceptable after several weeks.
I may heave to steal this idea if I won.
Old 02-12-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpo

Servants. We want a French Maid and a pool boy.
Old 02-13-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

I would keep it secret and treat it like a curse. I would hope that many people around me never find out. I would create a trust, and funnel all of the money into my business as investment capital.

I would also consider creating a second trust, and naming certain (and many) family members in it, with dividends paid by an investments manager. That would trickle down to other friends and family, and make everyone happy.

By utilizing investments, you can grow the money, support other people's businesses a little, and (most importantly) tell people that you don't have a lot of money.

My worst fear would be getting killed by some dummy relatives or some random jealous stranger. It is my belief that the population is as stupid as you can possibly imagine. So I'd be super discrete and careful.

And no, I didn't buy a ticket.
Old 02-13-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd open a sci-fi themed brothel in Nevada. Ever wanted to bend Deanna Troi over the tactical station on the Enterprise's bridge? Now you can, only $500. Into bondage? Enjoy our spacious replica of Jabba's palace with your very own Princess Leia on a chain, $800, or for an extra $400 you add a green chick for a threeway. Have a fantasy involving Munchkins, Jawas, Ewoks, or hobbits? Don't worry, I'll find a midget prostitute and provide her with a full array of costumes.
Old 02-13-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pay for the Kardashians to enter the witness protection program.
Old 02-13-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'd open a sci-fi themed brothel in Nevada. Ever wanted to bend Deanna Troi over the tactical station on the Enterprise's bridge? Now you can, only $500. Into bondage? Enjoy our spacious replica of Jabba's palace with your very own Princess Leia on a chain, $800, or for an extra $400 you add a green chick for a threeway. Have a fantasy involving Munchkins, Jawas, Ewoks, or hobbits? Don't worry, I'll find a midget prostitute and provide her with a full array of costumes.
Too late. They already have that.
Old 02-13-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

For those that think you'd be able to keep it a secret - the winnings administrators would not allow it. You have to do press with the winnings. Yes, you can make arrangements like getting a financial advisor and setting up proper paperwork, etc., but when it comes time to cash the ticket in then you will be paraded in front of the cameras and press.
Old 02-13-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
For those that think you'd be able to keep it a secret - the winnings administrators would not allow it. You have to do press with the winnings.
Unless you live in one of the following states:

(Powerball) DE, KS, MD, ND, OH
(Mega Millions): DE, KS, MD, ND, OH, SC

CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS WHEN I HIT THE JACKPOT?

All but five states (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks. Some states are considering anonymous claims. Some states are considering a one-year period of anonymity to give the winners time to get used to their new lifestyle. Other states may offer to assist you in some way, including such things as the creation of trusts. But generally, you will want to hire an attorney to review the laws in your state to see what options you might have. Photos and press conferences are up to you for most part, though some states add a requiremment for photos on their tickets. Check with your state lottery to see if photos or more are required. Most of the time, it is advisable to get it over with the press so that you don't have one or more reporters following you around to get that "exclusive" interview. Even if the you can keep your identity secret from the press and the public, you will have to be known to the lottery - so they can confirm that you are eligible to play and win.

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

Last edited by Kmical; 02-13-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have a panic room.
Old 02-13-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd have a panic HOUSE!
Old 02-13-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd be in a State of Panic.
Old 02-13-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
For those that think you'd be able to keep it a secret - the winnings administrators would not allow it. You have to do press with the winnings. Yes, you can make arrangements like getting a financial advisor and setting up proper paperwork, etc., but when it comes time to cash the ticket in then you will be paraded in front of the cameras and press.
That's when you spend a year changing your looks, deleting your facebook, ditch your cell phone and get a ton of burners, legally change your name and after all that come forward to the press.
Old 02-13-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I would not immediately cash in the ticket. I would hire a lawyer, find a reputable financial planner, and gracefully extract myself from my job. None of that walking into the office and going, "fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're all right, and fuck you!" from me. Just knowing I could do it would be good enough for me

Anyhow, my lottery ticket will sit nice and safe in a deposit box at the bank until a really big news story enters the cycle. Something like Ferguson, or a major figure dying. Something that even local news will bleat on about endlessly. Then I slip in, grab my cash, and I'm a ghost.
Old 02-13-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I would not immediately cash in the ticket. I would hire a lawyer, find a reputable financial planner, and gracefully extract myself from my job. None of that walking into the office and going, "fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're all right, and fuck you!" from me. Just knowing I could do it would be good enough for me

Anyhow, my lottery ticket will sit nice and safe in a deposit box at the bank until a really big news story enters the cycle. Something like Ferguson, or a major figure dying. Something that even local news will bleat on about endlessly. Then I slip in, grab my cash, and I'm a ghost.
So basically what the first person who came forward to claim this prize is not doing.
Old 02-13-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 546 Posts

There's a pretty short deadline. Someone here lost out on a million dollar ticket by not coming forward before the two months were up. You might not get a Benghazi or a missing white girl story in time.

But I'd wait as long as I could.
Old 02-13-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 694 Likes on 502 Posts

My PowerBall ticket had 3 numbers so I won $7.

Bought two slices of pizza and a 20oz Minute Maid lemonade
Old 02-14-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oooo. I just got the "impractical" part on the thread title.

I would fly all of you in for an Otter Meet. First class and private jets. We'd have the best party ever.

And then I'd lock the doors and set fire to the the place.
Old 02-14-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There's a pretty short deadline. Someone here lost out on a million dollar ticket by not coming forward before the two months were up. You might not get a Benghazi or a missing white girl story in time.

But I'd wait as long as I could.
If nothing comes along, I'll just cash it in Friday afternoon at 4:00 when the reporters are packing it in for the weekend.
Old 02-16-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That really sucks. I'll take the fortune, man. Keep the fame. I don't know what the hell is do with that money. Help all of the people in my life in need to cover their debts, first of all. And my own, obviously. Maybe buy a house someplace where it doesn't snow. Thereafter, buy the most badass home theater system imaginable. Then I don't frigging know. Maybe buy a cinema and collect 35mm prints of stuff?
Old 02-17-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
I pay for the Kardashians to enter the witness protection program.
I would pay the hitman I hire to take care of the Kardashians to enter the witness protection program. Actually I wouldn't need to, they'd need to get their medal from Congress first.
Old 02-17-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If I won the biggest jackpot? I'd probably...

1) Keep my job but transfer back to SoCA

2) Buy a house for my sister

3) Give a lump sum to my cousins who housed me for a while when I had nowhere to go.

4) Buy myself a place.

5) Save and invest

6) Take a vacation.
Old 02-17-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

If nothing comes along, I'll just cash it in Friday afternoon at 4:00 when the reporters are packing it in for the weekend.
I think the problem with this is that you can cash it in on Friday afternoon, the lottery people are going to say "Congratulations! The press conference will be at noon Tuesday."
Old 02-17-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd cash in immediately. Something could happen to the ticket or me if I waited. I trust myself to do the right thing with the money.
Old 02-17-15, 09:14 PM
Admin

Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
I'd cash in immediately. Something could happen to the ticket or me if I waited. I trust myself to do the right thing with the money.
Cash it in, but have a plan. If I won, I'd be in a hotel room and have a lawyer before I cashed it in. People will get your address. Not all of them wish you well.
Old 02-17-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Buy a theater like the one in my picture.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.