Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpot?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpot?

Old 02-11-15, 02:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpo

commission the creation of a proper animated mic drop emoticon.
Old 02-11-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 643 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: What's your crazy/impractical for when you win an obnoxiously high lottery jackpo

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'd assume a new identity.
Why So Green?
Old 02-11-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Modest homes for all my family members.

I'd ensure that all relatives had jobs or at least had the opportunity to find a decent job, whether that's funding a small business for them or bankrolling their education.

I'd learn how to fly a plane.

I'd buy and restore a tank.

I'd buy a large plot of land in a rural area and build a self-sufficient survivalist compound complete with bunkers, watch towers, gun ranges, a fully stocked armory, solar and wind power, and an airfield. Oh, and a kick-ass home theater, too. Bring on the zombies.

Lots and lots of vacations, with condos or vacation homes in my favorite locales.
Old 02-11-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Buying an 18-wheeler and having a mobile home theater system in the trailer. Travel the country (Canada, too!).

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-11-15 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 149 Likes on 121 Posts

I'd buy this place and shut it down. And lots of cocaine.
Old 02-11-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

Got a large office pool going so would only clear 20 mil after taxes, so maybe just retire and invest to live off the interest.
Old 02-11-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Collect every issue of Action Comics and Superman comics.

And donate to a lot of animal shelters.
Why would you donate such valuable comics to animal shelters? They'll only line the cages with them!
Old 02-11-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 787 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
So the PowerBall is half a billion so assuming I take the lump sum and after taxes I'm walking away with what? $220 million (in NY)? That's a lot of cheddar.

The crazy purchase I'd make is to buy a boat and plane. Other than that I'm buying property which I wouldn't consider impractical.
Jackpot analysis by state and cash vs annuity: https://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot.asp

FYI, they only calculate your federal taxes as 25 percent. That is what is taken off the top immediately. You will have to pay another 10 percent or so at tax time, since you jump up a few tax brackets.
Old 02-11-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't even imagine having that kind of money. It's like explaining physics to a caveman.
Old 02-11-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

After socking most of it away, I'd give a mil to my 4 best friends right off the bat. Then we'd figure out some kind of distribution to our family members.

Then it would be a big house and a couple of cars. I'd love a tricked out Shelby Mustang. And that new Tesla looks fun.

I am also the artistic director for a theater company - I'd also build a brand new theater for that and set up an endowment to keep it going.
Old 02-11-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 447 Posts

I'd make it my purpose in life to educate the masses that spending any amount of money in a lottery is a tax for the stupid. Maybe by having all that dough, I would also have some clout, have a chance at becoming instrumental in shutting down some of the lotteries we have today.
Old 02-11-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If possible, I would keep it a secret that I had won. Then, I would live out my fantasy: to go into work and say exactly what I wanted to to co-workers and customers until I got fired. And it would have to be very slow and subtle. No drastic change of character, no yelling, no profanities, no threats. Just measured, calm, yet brutally honest comments that, while not specifically breaking company policy, would become absolutely unacceptable after several weeks.
Old 02-11-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd roll up to work in a ridiculously expensive car while just acting like everything was normal. I'd want a house with an indoor basketball court. And being a tech junkie, my house would be filled with electronics and automated shit that's more about cool factor then functionality. And i'd probably buy season tickets to my favorite teams around here and spend my time attending games. And of course, give money to my friends and family.

Our dog just had back surgery, so my fiancee and I were actually talking about how we would create some sort of foundation or start our own pet hospital aiming to help those who have trouble affording surgeries and care.

Maybe buy DVDTalk from Internet Brands and finally update and upgrade it to HD Talk.
Old 02-12-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm enough of a hermit that if I simply put in my 2-weeks notice and said I was moving out of the state, no one at my job would be too surprised if I dropped completely off their radar. I'd share the knowledge of my win with my immediate family and only one of my friends. Then I'd spend the rest of my life travelling the world, stopping in places for a few weeks at a time.
Old 02-12-15, 12:19 PM
RIP

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
After socking most of it away, I'd give a mil to my 4 best friends right off the bat. Then we'd figure out some kind of distribution to our family members.

Then it would be a big house and a couple of cars. I'd love a tricked out Shelby Mustang. And that new Tesla looks fun.

I am also the artistic director for a theater company - I'd also build a brand new theater for that and set up an endowment to keep it going.
Old 02-12-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Modest homes for all my family members.

I'd ensure that all relatives had jobs or at least had the opportunity to find a decent job, whether that's funding a small business for them or bankrolling their education.

I'd learn how to fly a plane.

I'd buy and restore a tank.

I'd buy a large plot of land in a rural area and build a self-sufficient survivalist compound complete with bunkers, watch towers, gun ranges, a fully stocked armory, solar and wind power, and an airfield. Oh, and a kick-ass home theater, too. Bring on the zombies.

Lots and lots of vacations, with condos or vacation homes in my favorite locales.
So essentially you'd be like one of those nuts on the "I Was A Lottery Millionaire Winner" shows.
Old 02-12-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems one of the winning Powerball tickets was from Puerto Rico and people are losing their shit: http://www.latinorebels.com/2015/02/...norance-begin/

Old 02-12-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I would buy Puerto Rico and ship all the dudes to New York City, keeping las boricuas for myself.
Old 02-12-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I would buy Puerto Rico and ship all the dudes to New York City, keeping las boricuas for myself.
That is an awesome plan... for all of a day. There are some gems here but also some extremely high maintenance hotties that might make you swear off women entirely if you were left alone with them on a deserted island. And with the pack mentality many of them have, it'd be like all the Smiths in The Matrix Revolutions.
Old 02-12-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy shit! I'm moving now, before I ever hit the Powerball Lottery.
Just looked up my state's tax rate on the posted link.
Federal withholding 25%
New York State 8.82%
New York City, additional 3.876% or 12.696% total
Highest total state withholding by FAR. Next highest is MD at 8.75%.
Eleven states/territories have no state tax on lotteries, including Puerto Rico.
Old 02-12-15, 04:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts

I'd give everyone who posted in this thread one million dollars.
Old 02-12-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd buy an island and import humans to hunt when I'm bored.
Old 02-12-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'd give everyone who posted in this thread one million dollars.

Just in case.
Old 02-12-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So essentially you'd be like one of those nuts on the "I Was A Lottery Millionaire Winner" shows.
Of course. I'll do my best to not get robbed by any strippers or tranny hookers, though.
Old 02-12-15, 06:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 351 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
If possible, I would keep it a secret that I had won. Then, I would live out my fantasy: to go into work and say exactly what I wanted to to co-workers and customers until I got fired. And it would have to be very slow and subtle. No drastic change of character, no yelling, no profanities, no threats. Just measured, calm, yet brutally honest comments that, while not specifically breaking company policy, would become absolutely unacceptable after several weeks.
Brilliant.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.