Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Filling a beanbag chair solo - suggestions?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-20-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ordered a double size beanbag chair from http://www.blob.co.nz/us/home.html and it just arrived today. Actually the cover and liner just arrived today, the filling came last week in two separate boxes. I opened each box to check status when they came in but didn't notice until just now that one of the bags had been punctured - messy! At least I should be able to vacuum most of it up, but it's still a major hassle.

That said, does anyone have suggestions or experience filling one of these things solo? I've tried binder clips and a few other things to hold the mouth of the liner around the mouth of the stuffing bag, but the transfer hasn't worked very well at all yet and I'm starting to get a little frustrated. It's one of those times when it would definitely be useful to have 4 hands, but unfortunately I don't have anyone around to help me with this right now.

This is the final size once it's filled - should be great for movies and games if I can ever fill it properly.
Old 03-20-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to get one of those double ones and use it to replace the bench seat in the back of my Tahoe, think it would fit?
Old 03-20-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably, I can take a scale shot if I ever finish here - would it blow away though or are you talking enclosed?
Old 03-20-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Enclosed. I'm constantly having to take the rear bench seat in and out of the vehicle to accommodate either passengers or golf clubs/fishing gear/luggage/etc and it's such a pain in the ass. I've been wanting to buy a couple bean bag chairs to throw back there but that thing looks like it would fit nicely. If you could just get the basic measurements when you get a chance, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-20-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who cares....how can I get that chick's number?
Old 03-20-08, 11:55 PM

Duct Tape, in conjunction with appropriate chair(s)/other furniture, to help form and hold the opening in some suitably stable position. Improvise.
Old 03-21-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Duct Tape, in conjunction with appropriate chair(s)/other furniture, to help form and hold the opening in some suitably stable position. Improvise.
Thanks. I was thinking about this last night after the binder clip incident. Perhaps also in conjunction with a large funnel. I'll try that one next.
Old 03-21-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I would pour the filling into a large trash bag, maybe not all the filling, but 3/4 of the way full. Then I would set the trash bag on the floor, top up. Take the open chair cover and put it over the trash bag so the trash bag is completely inside the chair cover, then flip them upside down. Then pull the trash bag out of the chair cover and as you pull the filling should come out into the chair cover.

That's all I got.
Old 03-21-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
Enclosed. I'm constantly having to take the rear bench seat in and out of the vehicle to accommodate either passengers or golf clubs/fishing gear/luggage/etc and it's such a pain in the ass. I've been wanting to buy a couple bean bag chairs to throw back there but that thing looks like it would fit nicely. If you could just get the basic measurements when you get a chance, I would appreciate it.
Kinda dangerous in a crash though right?
Old 03-21-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably, but adult passengers aren't required to wear seatbelts in the back and have been doing this for decades, so
Old 03-21-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never had a problem filling it by myself. Mostly because I'm Goro.
Old 03-21-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Suggestion? Video it, we want to watch!
Old 03-21-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do they sell the beans and the bag separately, and make you fill it yourself? It would take the same volume and shipping hassle to just sell the chairs already filled. What a lazy-ass company!
Old 03-21-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Moving to XCritic...
Old 03-21-08, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
I want to get one of those double ones and use it to replace the bench seat in the back of my Tahoe, think it would fit?
Aside from the aforementioned safety concern, it would be a hairy ride for the beanbag passengers. They would get severely tossed around (during starting, stopping, cornering maneuvers) without the benefit of a stable anchored seat.
Old 03-21-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally did it by duct taping the [very large] mouth of the bag to a much smaller size and then pouring while having the opening clipped to a couple of chairs.

They ship separately because the covers come from NZ while they have the stuffing/beans produced and shipped domestically in the US.

I'll measure tonight after I get it settled in shape a little better.
Old 03-21-08, 06:22 PM
Banned

Why are there people older than 15 with beanbag chairs?