Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Online VIDEO news content

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-20-08, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely hate the way cnn, foxnews, msnbc, etc handle Video news. Theres nothing more annoying to be browsing through the news and to find a story that seems somewhat interesting. Only to click it, have a crappy video applet initialized, then 20-30 seconds of commercials before you can even sniff the story.

No thanks
Old 03-20-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love Yahoo's exact same Netflix ad every other news story. "Every day as soon as we get home the first thing we say to each other is: did you check the mail? Is there a movie in there?" I want to kill myself after hearing the ad a few times. I can only imagine what I'd do if my wife seriously asked me that every day when we got home from work.

I don't mind a commercial periodically, but the same commercial every single time is too much.
Old 03-20-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry.
Old 03-20-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I, too, would like to apologize.
Old 03-20-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bauermj
I absolutely hate the way cnn, foxnews, msnbc, etc handle Video news. Theres nothing more annoying to be browsing through the news and to find a story that seems somewhat interesting. Only to click it, have a crappy video applet initialized, then 20-30 seconds of commercials before you can even sniff the story.

No thanks
Couldn't agree more. I just want to read the damn article. I don't care if there's an 'optional' clip/video, but just give me some text to read, and I'll be happy.
Old 03-20-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bauermj

No thanks
I see this as a good thing. It might actually encourage more people to develop and practice their reading abilities instead of being spoon fed "video" presentations. And they might even pick up some improved grammatical skills as a bonus.
Old 03-20-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, yeah - sometimes Yahoo will make it look as if there's a video clip and a text article, but the lower link always brings up the video player. It's like they would prefer people not read.
Old 03-20-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sign me up, I hate being forced into video. I'd rather read the nickel-tour AP writeup then try to do the video. Especially at work since we have somewhat open cubicles.