Reload this Page >

Are you a creature of habit?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-20-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've discussed bad habits before, but do you have any habits in general, good, bad, or otherwise?

For example, when I do grocery shopping I usually always park in the same one or two areas: way to the right of the store. This is the case at both places I go to.
Old 03-20-08, 01:09 PM

Whenever our family goes out to eat, I have the habit to constantly clean and tidy up the table while we are eating. It drives my wife nuts at times.
I mostly do it for the sake of the wait person or the Bus boy to make their job a little easier. That and I can't stand things being "messy".
Old 03-20-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very much so. Geez, there's so many to mention. I constantly wipe down my dash in my car and clean the floormats. I'm retardedly meticulous about having a clean interior in my vehicle. I always arrange my remotes on the table so that they're lined up with equal spacing. When I cook, usually pasta or bbq, I lay out all utensils to be used, where they'll be used, and then I clean while I cook so that once I'm ready to sit down and eat all the dishes are already done. There are a lot more little things too, but those are some of the ones that drive my gf nuts.
Old 03-20-08, 01:24 PM
Suspended

I have a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and an iced latte for breakfast almost every single day.

And I always feel vaguely dissatisfied when I have something else instead.
Old 03-20-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the most part, I am a creature of habit.

I think anyone above the age of 8 probably is
Old 03-20-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am a creature of habit.

I think that once the initial shock wore off - I would fit into boot camp / prison well.

I am comfortable with familiarity. I'm not OCD with things... but I do like going into the same place every day, knowing the route I am going to take to work etc.. and have been known to drive someplace on the weekend to ease my mind about where I have to go on a Monday. (This is pre GPS)
Old 03-20-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutley. Way to many to mention. Not at an OCD level, but close
Old 03-20-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes.
Old 03-20-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes.
Old 03-20-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-20-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell yes. I am nearly OCD about my routines.
Old 03-20-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You guys are supposed to describe the weird freaky routines you do.
Old 03-20-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
You guys are supposed to describe the weird freaky routines you do.
I thought devilshalo was quite explicit.
Old 03-20-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a ton of things I do out of being a creature of habit...time I get up for work, time I walk my dog, time I eat (and the things I eat), time I go to the bathroom (which is pretty much the same time ever day), time I go to bed...even down to the rows I park in the grocery store and other areas I might not be thinking of right now.

I can't imagine not being a creature of habit. How could you live without some order and habits instilled in you? Just walking through life as one big cluster F###?
Old 03-21-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. No. Click. Post Quick Reply.
Old 03-23-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I can think of that I do habitually, is the order that I do my showering/getting ready to go somewhere. Other than that, I'm fairly non-routine.

Maybe the order I go through my internet bookmarks.

Although, I imagine I do things out of habit that I don't notice are a habit.

Last edited by mndtrp; 03-23-08 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-23-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the human mind constantly seeks to relegate things to habit and memory...

it's a an optimization routine... runs constantly...

there was a scientific test of people's habit/routines and their minds...

the subjects were given intelligence tests, several to be thorough, and perception tests...

one of the experiments was, the team took out a map and found 6 completely different routes from the subject's home, to their place of employment... they tried to keep them roughly the same drive time but a totally different route... the subject drove each route for one week for the next six weeks...

after those 6 weeks the subjects scored higher on intelligence tests and perception tests...

their minds were forced to look at new things... think about the new routes... were not able to relegate the whole experience to habit and routine... and like a muscle lifting weights... their mind grew 'stronger'...

they then changed the furniture arrangement completely in every room of the subject's house... same furniture... just completely different... it forced them to think about the rooms they walked into instead of not 'seeing' them, but having a non-awareness caused by routine and habit...

there was a corresponding increase in test scores...

our minds try very hard to free up resources and 'get lazy' with habit and routine... it's the source of many accidents and mishaps in fact... because in truth that person wasn't "watching where they were going" they were running on autopilot...