Reload this Page >

Disfigured woman who wanted euthanasia dies

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-20-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PARIS, France (CNN) -- A French woman severely disfigured by facial tumors has been been found dead just two days after a court rejected her request for an assisted suicide.

Medical examiners were Thursday looking into the death of 52-year-old Chantal Sebire -- whose case had prompted nominally Roman Catholic France to reexamine its stance on euthanasia -- to determine whether anything illegal had taken place.

It was not immediately clear how Sebire died.

Sebire had suffered from esthesioneuroblastoma, a rare and incurable form of cancer for eight years, developing tumors in her nasal passages and sinuses that distorted her face and caused her nose and eyes to bulge.

The woman from Dijon, in eastern France, said drugs were ineffective against the excruciating pain caused by the condition and there was no reason doctors should not be permitted to hasten her death.

Assisted suicide is illegal in France, however. The law permits only passive euthanasia -- removing feeding and hydration tubes when a person is in a coma, or inducing a coma and then removing the tubes.

Sebire's lawyer had tried to convince a French court that it was "barbaric" to put her through the ordeal of dying slowly in an artificial coma, something that could take up to two weeks while her three children looked on in anguish.

The court turned down the appeal Monday.

At the same time, Sebire wrote a letter to French President Nicolas Sarkozy appealing for help, but he responded by suggesting top doctors should reexamine her for a second opinion.

Her plight and the questions it raised caused so much public debate in France that when Sebire was found dead Wednesday night, it made front-page news in heavyweight papers including Le Figaro and Le Parisien.

CNN Senior International Correspondent Jim Bitterman in Paris said the Sebire had many supporters in France with hundreds of people writing to her to express their backing. Watch as euthanasia row divides France.

"One of the reasons for this is this woman was a relatively young mother of three children and many people could sympathize. People think 'what would I do in the same circumstances.'"

A French group called the Association for the Right to Die with Dignity, which took up Sebire's cause, believes laws must be changed to take such cases into account.

"It is not the liberty of a politician or a doctor -- it's the liberty of the person who is suffering, who has a terminal disease," said Jean-Luc Romero, president of the group.

"It's only the decision of the people who have a terminal disease to decide (whether they may die)."

Others disagree.

"It isn't because a citizen says 'I want this' that we should modify the law," said Patrick Verspieren, a Jesuit bio-ethics expert. "The law is already quite open."

France's prime minister, health and justice ministers all made clear they did not believe changes in French law are needed.
----------------------------------------------
Old 03-20-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Poor thing. Obviously she took matters into her own hands.
Old 03-20-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So, assisted suicide IS legal, just you have to induce a coma and let them starve?

Someone has not thought this through.
Old 03-20-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I wouldn't want to live either.

Fuck the courts. Let people die with a little dignity.
Old 03-20-08, 10:33 AM

Poor thing. If you look at the 2nd picture, it looks like she is still smiling even though her situation looks bleak. Hopefully she is in a better place!
Old 03-20-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's awful. I can only imagine the pain that woman went through. The coma and feeding tube option is really messed up.
Old 03-20-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read about this earlier today, and I just don't understand how assisted suicide is not legal. You should be able to end your suffering, if you are of sound mind. I never had a problem with what Dr. Kevorkian did, and he was very respectful of his patients.
Old 03-20-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dieinafire
I read about this earlier today, and I just don't understand how assisted suicide is not legal. You should be able to end your suffering, if you are of sound mind. I never had a problem with what Dr. Kevorkian did, and he was very respectful of his patients.
I've never understood that either. If there is anything someone should be able to decide for themselves, it's when to die.
Old 03-20-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love how she wrote to the president and he came back telling her to get a second opinion.

I look forward to the day when they sell suicide assistance kits like in Children of Men. Let people go away when they want so we don't have to read about someone going down and taking others with them.
Old 03-20-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Isn't there an over the counter medication that when taken in excess would cause death? There must be something? Why do these people need assisted suicide. do it yourself.

Shoot up some heroine or something...
Old 03-20-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Isn't there an over the counter medication that when taken in excess would cause death? There must be something? Why do these people need assisted suicide. do it yourself.

Shoot up some heroine or something...
I believe in assisted suicide that one's death would be conceptually painless. An OTC od or drug overdose may be as unpleasant as jumping in front of a truck.

Sad, sad story
Old 03-20-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The idea of assisted suicide is that it would be, essentially, part of medical treatment. The doctor overseeing it would make sure things went the way they were supposed to, and that the "treatment" was appropriate.

If someone is having a temporary problem that they want to die about, the option of seeking a doctor to approve the suicide could lead people to get help they might not otherwise.

A friend of ours tried to kill himself with an overdose of sedatives last year. It didn't work. He wound up really, really sick, though.
Old 03-20-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Given my political leanings it's obvious where I stand on assisted suicide, but I don't see why she even bothered going through the legal system. Why not juyst buy a gun or drugs and do it yourself?
Old 03-20-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A gun doesn't automatically solve the problem or pills. You could still survive a gunshot wound and then be really fucked for life, while the courts and The Lovers Of This Precious Life I Live For Jesus decide your fate.
Old 03-20-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
A gun doesn't automatically solve the problem or pills. You could still survive a gunshot wound and then be really fucked for life, while the courts and The Lovers Of This Precious Life I Live For Jesus decide your fate.
Slit your wrists and lock the doors then. My point is that the legal system shouldn't be involved in the choice to end one's life and if she was in pain (which I don't doubt) why delay the inevitable and continue her agony?
Old 03-20-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree. The legal system shouldn't get involved.

She apparently wanted to give the legal system a chance. Then she took care of things herself--I assume. So, I don't think it wasn't as if she couldn't have killed herself. She chose to go the civil route first, to try and use the legal system. Can't fault her for that.
Old 03-20-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-20-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, in a similar situation, I would like to be able to do it with medical assistance, and my family around me.

It's kind of crummy to have to hide in a corner and do it on the sly, so the family won't wind up in jail, and take a chance of mucking it up.
Old 03-20-08, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Feneant
I love how she wrote to the president and he came back telling her to get a second opinion.
I don't know how good her senses were at that point, but if I received that advice from him I would do my level best committing (or attempting) suicide by attempted assassination (of him).
Old 03-20-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

She looked like a Slitheen.

I hate to imagine how much pain she was in.
Old 03-21-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Well, in a similar situation, I would like to be able to do it with medical assistance, and my family around me.

It's kind of crummy to have to hide in a corner and do it on the sly, so the family won't wind up in jail, and take a chance of mucking it up.
I think that's the whole point-- dying in a dignified, peaceful way with loved ones nearby vs. blowing your own head off, alone. or taking the "right" combination or amount of drugs and hoping that it does the job.

In the U.S. at least, more men commit suicide than women, but I'm pretty sure that more women attempt suicide than men, so it's not like it's the easiest thing to do "correctly" for many people. I can't blame her for wanting someone to help give her a dignified, painless death. I also can't imagine how stressful those final moments would be, wondering if it was going to work or not.
Old 03-21-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
She chose to go the civil route first, to try and use the legal system. Can't fault her for that.
On the contrary, I applaud her for trying to make case law. I don't know anything about pain meds/regulation in the UK but if they're anything like they are here, I'd have just killed myself instead of trying to be a martyr.
Old 03-21-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would've committed seppuka. Back in the old days suicide was honorable.
Old 03-23-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what clauses life insurance would have if assisted suicide became legal.