Lucid Absinthe - revisited....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-19-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have been reading a lot about Absinthe lately - history, production, different brands available in the U.S., etc...

As you may know, LUCID seems to be the most popular US brand at this point in time....

Has anyone here tried it an noticed that it affected you a bit differently than other alcohols of the same proof....

(I'm expecting a bunch of "it's illegal" and "it makes you hallucinate" posts... but anyone who has any absinthe knowledge knows better, and can ignore those)

I just wanted to know of any advantage as far as the feeling after goes when compared to other drinks...

Thanks,

Matt!

Last edited by KillerQ; 03-19-08 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have always wanted to get some, but have not seen it at any liquor stores in MA. I have only heard of Lucid, I did not know there were any other choices. I would like to find out more info about its availability.
Old 03-19-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Every absinthe made now is nothing like the absinthe made way back when it was popular. So I don't see the point in buying a bottle as I don't want to go through the ridiculous crack-like process of having a glass of it.

I'll stick to tequila, gin, and/or whiskey, thank you.
Old 03-19-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a bottle of absinthe from France that a friend gave me as a gift, and aside from it being a little stronger (110 proof) and tasting like licorice, the effects from the alcohol aren't really any different than anything else I've had. Just like anything else that strong, having a small glass is plenty to get someone a little tipsy. Absinthe is better when you cut it with some cold water; I've never done the whole sugar cube thing, which is supposed to cut the harshness of the taste, but the taste doesn't really bother me, aside from making my tongue a bit numb.
Old 03-19-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not an expert on absinthe. I can't afford it. I have a couple of bottles, and would like to buy a couple more in the next year.

Here's where Lucid fits on this review site. And another.

Supposedly, the top absinthes are approaching the quality of the 19th century absinthes. Because of the absinthe revival, people are digging up old recipes and building appropriate equipment. The occasional hundred year old bottle appears on review sites.
Old 03-19-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a bottle of absinthe from France a couple years ago and had the same experience as FinkPish - it was strong alcohol, and tasted like licorice, but otherwise didn't have any hallucinogenic effects.