Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Any contractors in the house? Quick question about painting bathroom tiles.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-17-08, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I purchased a home about a year ago and did some minor renovations with the little money we had left over. We were not able to do much with the guest bathroom, even though the tiles are horribly ugly (light green with a pink trim).

We can't afford to have the tiles replaced, and so we were wondering if it was possible to paint over them. I did some Google searches, and found these:

http://www.helpwithdiy.com/painting/...mic_tiles.html

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/paintceramictile

We are not particularly "handy" people when it comes to home repairs, so my question to any contractors here is ... how difficult is this to do?

If it is pretty difficult, how expensive is a job like this for a licensed contractor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Painting is so easy, even I've done it.
Old 03-17-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Painting tiles is next to impossible. Getting paint to bond with the glazed surface of tile is...a nightmare.
Old 03-17-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, in the article you linked to you will find this.

I would not recommend that you paint any tile surface that gets wet repeatedly.
Old 03-17-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am also researching at redoing a bathroom, actually 3.5. I would advise against painting tile but it is possible to tile over ceramic tile. You need to score the surface with 40 grit sandpaper and use special adhesive (I'm sure the tile guy or gal at abc home improvement store can help). Anyone have aversion to using the tile over tile method as I have yet to try it.
Old 03-17-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

why tile over tile when demolition is the most fun part of remodeling?

and no, I would not try to paint tile, wait until you have the money to do it right.
Old 03-18-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd say wait. But why can't you do it yourself? How big is the bathroom? I bet you can tear down the tile, replace the drywall, plaster and paint for less then $75.00. Which is probably about the cost of the primer and the finish coat of paint.
Old 03-18-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually painted my floor tiles in one of my bathrooms. Like you we didn't have the money to get the bathroom redone so we were just looking for something to make the bathroom look a little better in the interum.

I sanded with the lowest grit sandpaper that I could find (I don't know if that even did much of anything) And then primed a couple of times with this:

And then painted about 3 coats with this:

I do have one place where it's cracked but it's under a rug (be careful with rugs because they hold moisture on the surface for a little too long)
Old 03-18-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I would say rip out the tile and put new tile in. You don't have to pick the most expensive tile in the world either.

Home depot often has sales on certain colors of tiles because they only have a half skid full of it. If you get the really large tiles they take less time to do, hide mistakes like grout alignment better (use 1/8" grout lines), and it takes less tiles overall.

A lot of the 16" tiles are like $1.50 a piece, up to $2. Home depot will rent you a tile saw or cut them for you if you only have a couple of cuts.

Are you doing a floor or walls? Around shower? How many square ft?
Old 03-18-08, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Painting tiles is next to impossible. Getting paint to bond with the glazed surface of tile is...a nightmare.
No its not bin is ok ,but if you want it to look and last get a boat paint primer scuff it with sandpaper then prim it ,(it does smell bad but that will go away)then you paint it let dry for at least 2 days
Old 03-18-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeden
Are you doing a floor or walls? Around shower? How many square ft?
The floor is fine. It's just plain white tiles. It's the area around the shower that needs to be worked on.

Several people have recommended ripping everything down and starting from scratch. I can't emphasize enough how "un-handy" my wife and I are when it comes to stuff like this. Some people just have an innate ability to fix stuff, others learn it through hard work, others never really get any good at it. We fall into the last category. So, I would never even dream about tearing it down and doing it myself.

So, it seems like the consensus is that painting over tiles is not that good of an idea. I guess we'll just live with an ugly guest bathroom until we can afford to fix it properly.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or buy a book and some materials, follow instructions, and develop a new skill instead of shrugging your shoulders and giving up. It CAN be done.
Old 03-18-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
And then primed a couple of times with this:

Once that stuff dries, it bonds like nothing I've ever seen.
Old 03-18-08, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by drmoze
Or buy a book and some materials, follow instructions, and develop a new skill instead of shrugging your shoulders and giving up. It CAN be done.
I know it sounds like I'm shrugging my shoulders and giving up. Perhaps, to some extent, that is exactly what I'm doing. However, we cannot afford right now to hire someone to do the job for us. If I embark on this project on my own and fail, I'm not going to be able to leave the bathroom in a disaster state until we can afford to fix it. So, the gamble is that if I start the project myself, I HAVE to finish it, or miraculously find the money to have someone else fix my mistakes. That sounds like too much of a gamble to me.

If I already HAD the money to hire someone, it might be worth it to try to do it myself to save some money, knowing that I could always fall back on hiring someone. Since hiring someone right now is out of the question, I don't think I have thick enough skin to take this plunge.
Old 03-18-08, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
I actually painted my floor tiles in one of my bathrooms. Like you we didn't have the money to get the bathroom redone so we were just looking for something to make the bathroom look a little better in the interum.

I sanded with the lowest grit sandpaper that I could find (I don't know if that even did much of anything) And then primed a couple of times with this:

And then painted about 3 coats with this:

I do have one place where it's cracked but it's under a rug (be careful with rugs because they hold moisture on the surface for a little too long)
I guess the difference here is that, as a couple of people have pointed out, floor tiles are easier since they don't routinely get wet. The tiles on the inside of the shower seem to be more difficult to paint.
Old 03-18-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, the inside of the shower. Never mind then.