Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car Rentals

Old 03-17-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rentals

I'm researching for a trip I'm taking next month (solo) and am finding that car companies either won't rent to a 24 year old or they charge a lot more than 25+
Any suggestions?
I'm going to New Mexico for 5 days for training and was either going to fly into Las Vegas or Colorado Springs a few days early for a mini-vaca and then rent a car.
Old 03-17-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get a fake ID?
Old 03-17-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If your company is picking up the tab then have a secretary call and reserve the car. Of course, they would check ID when you pick up the car and figure out that you aren't 25... or not, I suppose it would be a risk. You could always have someone on the other end pick up the car for you before you get there and leave it in the parking lot or something. It is pretty stupid that the rental companies won't rent to people under 25.
Old 03-17-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xfilekr
I'm researching for a trip I'm taking next month (solo) and am finding that car companies either won't rent to a 24 year old or they charge a lot more than 25+
Really? Odd, when I was in college I rented from a couple different places that didn't charge a lot for under-25.

Have you checked out the major companies, as well as the smaller ones near the airport? Places like orbitz.com have a good comparison of your options.

Usually the under-25 daily surcharge runs around $10-20 per day, though I know it can be more than that.
Old 03-17-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the training is for your company, have them make the arrangements. They might ask for proof (like a business card) that you work for them at the rental counter, but that would be it. That is what used to happen to me when I rented before I was 25.
Old 03-17-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Talk an older friend into a road trip!
Old 03-17-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Enterprise would usually rent to people under 25. They might charge a surcharge, though.