Another Stupid School System

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-17-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

link

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Girl Who Saves Busload of Elementary Students Given Detention

March 16th, 2008 | Awful Incidents, Awful Publicity

The Monterey Peninsula Unified School District in Seaside, California has just proven the age-old saying, ‘no good deed goes unpunished.’

15-year-old Marina High School student, Amanda Rouse, felt ill on her way to school last Wednesday morning, and decided to stay on her bus as it picked up elementary school students. The driver would take her home after the elementary route was finished.

However, by doing this, she didn’t follow proper procedure for leaving school grounds with her illness (checking out at the office, getting parent approval, etc.).

While the bus was driving the elementary route, the driver fell out of her seat at a sharp turn, and struck her head. The bus veered to the side and began hitting parked cars.

Rouse immediately jumped into action, hopped in the driver’s seat, applied the brakes and brought the bus to a safe stop.

So what does the school district do in response to this heroic act? Rouse was slapped with a weekend detention for ‘cutting class.’

The problem here is that years of absolute zero-tolerance thinking have left public school administrators with a very black and white attitude - no room for grey areas, no room for judging each infraction on its own merits.

Rouse should not be punished, she should be praised. School administration should waive the detention and instead thank this girl for her quick-thinking act of bravery.

Do you agree? Tell Don Livermore, the Principal at Marina High: [email protected] - or call the school office and let them know how you feel: (831) 583-2060.
This is just too funny. Why on Earth do school systems not think these actions out anymore. Don't they know if they punish a kid for something out of the ordinary, it will be international news if the story has legs? You would just think they would let this one situation go, just to avoid the attention, but no, they always fuck it up.
Old 03-17-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If I was her parents I'd tell her that she did the right thing, the world is full of idiots, and to move forward.
Old 03-17-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

torn.... special cases are 1 thing but what happens if the accident didnt happen...
Old 03-17-08, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by raven56706
torn.... special cases are 1 thing but what happens if the accident didnt happen...
If the accident didn't happen, then she can be punished for not skipping school the proper way.
Old 03-17-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
That's why these incidents need to be evaluated individually.

I was in high school before the whole "zero tolerance" thing went nuts, but my one and only detention incident needed to be evaluated further. A kid in my class made fun of me, I made fun of him back, he got mad and shoved my head into a brick wall. The teacher saw this and sent us both to the office. When she found out that we had both been given three days of detention, she was floored. She told me the only reason she sent me was to make sure he had gotten the story straight.

My parents were pissed (my mother is a teacher) but told me to just serve my time and let it go. Which was a good lesson, but ultimately was a joke.

This is beyond ridiculous, and the girl should be cut some slack.

Last edited by Draven; 03-17-08 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She wasn't punished for saving the bus. She was punished for skipping school. Who is to say that she didn't cause the bus driver to fall out of the seat.
Old 03-17-08, 01:22 PM

Rouse immediately jumped into action, hopped in the driver’s seat, applied the brakes and brought the bus to a safe stop.
Since she was 15, let's hope the authorities did the right thing and issued her a ticket for driving without a license.
Old 03-17-08, 02:46 PM

I definately don't understand the zero tolerance stance that schools are taking these days. One thing I have learned since getting a home phone though... school detentions are handed out automatically for stuff like missing class. We get a call about 3-5 times a week from our local school's automated system letting us know that "our child" missed class or missed detention and will be awarded further detentions, etc... We've even tried calling and getting the number taken off the list, but to no avail. The system is automated. If they have a similar system then the detention would have been applied automatically simply because she missed class. But the school should be able to modify it once they are notified of the circumstances of the events following.

My 1 and only detention experience was handed to me on a day when new rules went into effect (read as nobody in the school except the teachers were familiar with the new rules.) One of the new rules was "no playing after the end of recess bell rings" (this was 5th grade). I bounced a ball on my way back to class and was handed a 1/2 hour detention by the teacher who would become my 6th grade teacher. Turns out she handed out over 300 detentions that day! I was able to serve my detention with my own teacher due to special circumstances and spent most of the time looking for my mom who was picking up my stuff so I wouldn't have to walk home with it. I think I spent all of 8 minutes in detention.
Old 03-17-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well enough to drive a bus, well enough to go to school.
Old 03-17-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Well enough to drive a bus, well enough to go to school.

You sound like me when my kids were in HS!
Old 03-17-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Mart
I definately don't understand the zero tolerance stance that schools are taking these days.
The main reason is fear of litigation for not administering punishments equally. In my day bringing a butterknife in your lunch box was nothing, but a pocket knife was a problem and punishments escalated in severity depending on the weapon.

This is why kids today are facing expulsion for bringing butter-knives, Tic-tacs, Skittles or even a picture of a gun to school.

I'm just amazed that kids are still allowed to play baseball in school.
Old 03-17-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I find this one hard to care about one way or the other.
Old 03-17-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How does her applying the brakes on school bus absolve her of skipping school? If you want to pin a medal on her and commend her on her heroic actions, that's one thing. But these are two seprate actions on her part that require two seprate outcomes. You can punish someone for something inappropriate and reward them for doing something heroic. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 03-17-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby

You sound like me when my kids were in HS!
Your kids drove buses while they were in HS?
Old 03-17-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see 2 different events and they should be handled separately.

Punish her for the school thing, and give her the accolades for the heroics.

So she serves a few hours detention and then goes on Oprah.
Old 03-17-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't see stupid school systems.. I see a stupid justice system that allows stupid lawsuits to go through that has forced the school districts to take this kind of action. Everytime someone sues because they feel their little billy was treated slightly different than little timmy it forces districts to create concrete rules. Let's place the blame where it belongs..
Old 03-17-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
Your kids drove buses while they were in HS?

Oy!
If you're able to do this than you're able to go to school.
If you're able to that than you're able to go to school.
Old 03-17-08, 05:36 PM

It looks like she actually agrees with the punishment.

http://www.montereyherald.com/breaki...nclick_check=1

The story seems to have generated national interest among news organizations that are pushing the punishment angle. Rouse herself said she doesn't understand the fuss, since she believes she ought to be punished for not following school policy.

"I still feel it is the right thing," Rouse said. "I should have gotten off the bus (at the school). I know I did something wrong."

Her grandmother, Sally Correll, said she and Rouse will travel to the Bay Area to be interviewed for the early morning programs.
Old 03-17-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

15-year-old Marina High School student, Amanda Rouse, felt ill on her way to school last Wednesday morning, and decided to stay on her bus as it picked up elementary school students. The driver would take her home after the elementary route was finished.

However, by doing this, she didn’t follow proper procedure for leaving school grounds with her illness (checking out at the office, getting parent approval, etc.).
Technically, she did not violate the school policy. She remained on the bus and never got off, thus never setting foot on school grounds. So she really has no obligation to check in at the office or report to anyone that she was leaving school.

And no, I don't believe the school bus is an extension of the school grounds.
Old 03-17-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Gambit
And no, I don't believe the school bus is an extension of the school grounds.
I believe the law would disagree. If there is an accident and a school bus goes off a cliff - do you really think the school is able to wash their hands of the whole thing? Once you step on the bus you are now the responsibility of the school. So technically - I disagree with your assessment.
Old 03-17-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
I believe the law would disagree. If there is an accident and a school bus goes off a cliff - do you really think the school is able to wash their hands of the whole thing? Once you step on the bus you are now the responsibility of the school. So technically - I disagree with your assessment.
I'm not a school bus expert, so my belief may not be correct. However, I have always been under the impression that a school district just contracts the services of the buses (i.e. schools don't own and manage their own buses). So the same school bus may in fact service several schools (as in the OPs article about this bus having an elementary route).

If the school bus went off a cliff, the school district may bear some responsibility, but probably the school bus contractor would take the hit first.
Old 03-17-08, 06:49 PM

We were always told that the bus was technically school and all the same rules apply.

As far as mutually exclusive events go... I agree that she broke the rules, but at the same time, had she done the "right" thing then she wouldn't have been there to help. If I were in charge the convorsation would be something like:

"Amanda, you know that you didn't follow procedure in reporting to the office that you were sick and wanted to go home. This infraction would typically warrent a weekend detention. However, since your infraction placed you in a position to avert a potential disaster, we're going to overlook the infraction."

Then again, maybe that gives a bad example... if I do something bad, as long as I do something good then I won't get in trouble.
Old 03-17-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also have to wonder how long she would be waiting at school if she had followed proper procedure. If both her parents work, it could be a very long and drawn out ordeal for a sick child to wait around in the office until one of them got there. If I was in her position I probably would have gone for the quick and easy ride home.
Old 03-17-08, 07:36 PM

I don't see stupid school systems.. I see a stupid justice system that allows stupid lawsuits to go through that has forced the school districts to take this kind of action. Everytime someone sues because they feel their little billy was treated slightly different than little timmy it forces districts to create concrete rules. Let's place the blame where it belongs..
I couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old 03-17-08, 09:45 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking.
anyways the girl was sick. like someone else pointed out why should she have to go to school, call her parents, and then wait to be picked up? if i was a parent i would rather my teen just get back home if she can instead of wasting my time picking her up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.