Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Happy St. Patrick's Day!*

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: When did/do you celebrate?
March 15, as the Roman Curia has suggested.
6.98%
March 17, as my free Jiffy Lube calendar mandates it.
27.91%
I've been "celebrating" all week. Didn't know there was a reason to, though.
13.95%
St. What?
39.53%
I'm waiting for word from twikoff or BDB as to what to do.
11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* Note: St. Patrick's Day may or may not be today.

Under the Church's rules, the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar, the saint's feast day does not rank as highly as the Monday before Easter and so has to be moved.

Church leaders felt the celebrations would overshadow the serious nature of Holy Week.

In strict accordance with the rules, this year's St Patrick's Day should have been moved to the next available day in the Church calendar, Tuesday, April 1.

However, senior clerics were anxious to keep the date as close as possible to the international civic celebrations, which are often planned many years in advance.

After much deliberation, Rome gave Irish authorities the green light to shift the official religious celebrations two days back to March 15, which falls on a Saturday.

But festival organisers confirmed yesterday they would hold the national parade in Dublin on the traditional date to avoid confusion.

"Our festival office has been inundated with phone calls from people wanting to know when St Patrick's Day will be celebrated this year," said Donal Shiels.

"We would like to take this opportunity to clear up any possible confusion in relation to the date well in advance of the big day and to confirm that the festivities will be held on March 17. We have invested a lot of money to market this date and sell it around the world. Moving it would confuse a lot of people.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...t-1262845.html
And here's some other information:

Gardai in Galway, Dublin, Limerick, Waterford, Sligo, Cork and other towns will take to the streets to ensure the host of parades across the country pass off without incident and that celebrations into the night do not descend into drink-fuelled orgies of violence.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...r-1319552.html
So, when do you celebrate, if at all?
Old 03-17-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually stay home on this day. You know, Leprechauns running around naked with charm bracelets and confetti and such. Well, I don't always pretend I'm a Leprechaun.
Old 03-17-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no love for St. Patrick. Sorry. I am NOT wearing green today, and anyone who tries to pinch me gets slapped.
Old 03-17-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thor, have you been in the Crichton area of Mobile, Alabama?
Old 03-17-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I have no love for St. Patrick. Sorry. I am NOT wearing green today, and anyone who tries to pinch me gets slapped .
Face or ass?
Old 03-17-08, 11:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no love for St. Patrick. Sorry. I am NOT wearing green today, and anyone who tries to pinch me gets slapped.

I was tempted to put a sign on my office door stating "Blacks and dogs OK" but I was afraid someone might not get it.
Old 03-17-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will be continuing the drinking today, from the weekend. Since my bday is the 15th, and St. Patty's Day is the 17th, I usually make it a nice 3 day party. I also took today off from work, I was tired, and will go have some drinks somewhere.
Old 03-17-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If by celebrate, you mean go get a Shamrock shake from McD's then that's today for me.
Old 03-17-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Old 03-17-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

drink-fuelled orgies of violence.
Drinking....check
Orgies.....hopefully check
Violence....hopefully not!
Old 03-17-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Working.

But listening to Irish punk music to help celebrate.
Old 03-17-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stuff white people like #89: St. Patrick's Day

Normally if someone were to wake up at 7:00 in the morning, take the day off work, and get drunk at a bar before 10:00 a.m., they would be called an alcoholic, and not in the artistic, edgy way that white people are so fond of.

On March 17th, however, this exact same activity is called celebrating St. Patrick’s day. This very special white holiday recognizes Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland who helped to bring Catholicism to the Emerald Isle. His ascetic life is celebrated every year by white people drinking large amounts of Irish-themed alcohol and listening to the Dropkick Murphys.

It is also the day of the year when you can make the most gains in your social and professional relationship with white people.

Most of the time, white people consider celebrations of European heritage to be racist unless they omit large swathes of the 16th through 20th centuries. But since the Irish never engaged in colonialism and were actually oppressed it is considered acceptable and encouraged to celebrate their ancestry. For this reason, 100% of white people are proud to claim that they are somewhat Irish.

A big part of St. Patrick’s Day is having white people feel particularly upset at the oppression of their ancestors that has in no way trickled down to them. If you find yourself talking with a white person who tells you about how their great grandfather was oppressed by both the English and the Americans, it is strongly recommended that you lend a sympathetic ear and shake your head in disbelief. It is never considered acceptable to say: “but you’re white now, so what’s the problem?”

It is also worth nothing that on this day, there is always one trump card that never fails to gain respect and acclaim. When you are sitting at an Irish bar and someone orders a round of Guinness, you must take a single sip and while the other white people are savoring their drink, you say: “mmmm, I know it sounds cliche, but it really is true. Guinness just tastes better in Ireland.”

This comment will elicit an immediate and powerful response of people agreeing with your valuable insight. This statement also has the additional benefit of humiliating the members of your party who have not been to Ireland (and thus cannot confirm this proclamation). Having not traveled to Ireland and consumed a beer that is widely available in their hometown and throughout the world, they will immediately be perceived as provincial, uncultured, and inferior to you.

It is also strongly encouraged that you memorize the lyrics to “Jump Around.” It will come in handy.
Old 03-17-08, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Green Beer holiday that isn't even that anymore. Maybe you'd have something if it was Thursday or Friday.
Old 03-17-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*pinch*

SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-08, 09:46 PM

i celebrated on the 16th, im from south boston we got the the 2nd largest parade in the country so its a crazy day. its one of the best days of the year, the only thing i hate is people going crazy and yelling and screaming and getting drunk who are not even irish and all of those fuckin yuppies who come from every and cause problems.
Old 03-17-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

celebrations into the night do not descend into drink-fuelled orgies of violence.
Are they talking St. Paddy's Day or just your everyday Saturday night in Dublin?
Old 03-17-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan

I was tempted to put a sign on my office door stating "Blacks and dogs OK" but I was afraid someone might not get it.
For your door on the next Saint Padraig's Day:

Old 03-17-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^^^ I 'spose I can half-ass apply.