Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Where was Spider-Man? Inspector Arrested In Fatal Crane Collapse

Old 03-15-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where was Spider-Man?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080315/...crane_accident

Tall crane collapses in NYC; 2 dead

NEW YORK - A crane standing about 15 stories high toppled with a roar at a construction site and smashed into a block of apartment buildings Saturday, killing at least two people, authorities said.

The collapsing crane demolished parts of several buildings on Manhattan's East Side and appeared to have pulverized one small, brick apartment building.

Fire Department officials said at least two people were dead. A rescue operation was under way and it was unclear whether anyone was trapped in the rubble.

Nearby residents reported hearing a terrible roar as the structure detached from a large building under construction.

"First I heard a rumble, and it increased, and then it increased," said Bill Reilly, who lives a block away. "It continued building in strength until there was a final vroom! It shook the six-story brick building that I live in."

The crane split into pieces as it fell. Part of it came to rest against an apartment tower, smashing into its upper floors. That building and others in the area were evacuated. Another piece of the crane hit other buildings on the block, ripping away walls and ceilings and crushing the small brick building.

Witnesses reported a strong smell of gas in the area on 51st Street near 2nd Avenue .

Ben Galati, 54, said he was in the basement of a high-rise apartment building across the street where he is a doorman.

"I heard a rumble outside. I said 'Let's get out of here!' And then the crane came down. A split second later, I heard an explosion," he said.
Old 03-15-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NYT reports 4 dead, several still missing.
Old 03-15-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where was Spider-Man?
Due to the Superhero Registration Act, Spider-man - who didn't join - is now being hunted by the government, so he's not out to help in situations like this anymore because he'll be arrested.
Old 03-15-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this on youtube yet?
Old 03-15-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They must have all used thier freebies allready.
Old 03-15-08, 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Due to the Superhero Registration Act, Spider-man - who didn't join - is now being hunted by the government, so he's not out to help in situations like this anymore because he'll be arrested.
Actually that never happened. Remember Peter's deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May, so the last 20 years of Spidey comics effectively never happened.
Old 03-15-08, 06:47 PM

My friend lives on this block 3 doors down from where the crane collapsed. She has bricks on her fire escape due to the damage and she is totally freaked out. She can't get back into her apartment and a bar we used to go to is completely destroyed along with the builiding it was underneath.
I can't tell you how relieved I am she is okay though. I just found out about this, saw the address...and then called her house and got no answer.
Thank God for cell phones.
Old 03-15-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer
Actually that never happened. Remember Peter's deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May, so the last 20 years of Spidey comics effectively never happened.
He's still unregistered. It's just that no one "remembers" his real identity. (It's still the stupidest move I've seen - even though some of the newer stories have been pretty good.)

Anyways, yikes. Between this and Atlanta, it's been a bad weekend.
Old 03-15-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty crazy... We had my wife's b-day at a bar (FUBAR) in the building 2 months ago.
Old 03-16-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Today Show was saying for the past couple weeks there had been many complaints from people who thought the crane looked unsafe. Inspectors came out and didn't find any problems.
Old 03-17-08, 06:20 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The Today Show was saying for the past couple weeks there had been many complaints from people who thought the crane looked unsafe.
Inspectors came out and didn't find any problems.
Sounds like a few inspectors will be unemployed pretty soon...
Old 03-20-08, 05:13 PM

Inspector Arrested In Fatal Crane Collapse

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...r=HOME_3955196

NYC Inspector Charged With Falsifying Records On Crane That Later Collapsed, Killing 7

NEW YORK, March 20, 2008

(CBS/AP) A city inspector has been charged with lying about checking on a construction crane that later collapsed, killing seven people in a dense Manhattan neighborhood, officials said Thursday.

Edward Marquette was arrested Wednesday on charges of falsifying business records, buildings Commissioner Patricia Lancaster said.

"We will not tolerate this kind of behavior at the Department of Buildings," she said.

A complaint about the crane was logged March 4 to a city hot line, officials said, and Marquette said he inspected it. It was later determined he had not.

However, Lancaster said it is very unlikely an inspection would have prevented the accident because the parts of the crane that failed were not on site on March 4.

Marquette, 46, was arraigned in state Supreme Court and released without bail. His lawyer, Kate Moguletscu, had no comment as she left court.

Lancaster said that in addition to suspending Marquette, she has ordered a full audit of his inspection reports over the past six months, and also of the cranes and derricks unit of the department.

The collapse pulverized a brownstone and damaged several other buildings.

The gigantic piece of machinery toppled over when a six-ton steel collar used to secure the crane to the building came loose, plunging into another collar that acted as a major anchor. Without that support, it came tumbling down with terrifying force.

The collapse followed weeks of complaints by people in the neighborhood that the crane didn't appear safe.

Bruce Silberblatt, the retired contractor who called in the complaint, said he was stunned by the arrest.

"My first reaction was astonishment. My second reaction is anger that a person would have the gall to do this," Silberblatt said.

Earlier, city officials said they had started inspecting every construction crane in use around New York City, though authorities have said there's no indication that Saturday's accident points to a larger problem with cranes.

The inspections began Wednesday, Buildings Department spokeswoman Kate Lindquist said.

CBS News correspondent Bianca Solorzano reported that the city had answered at least 38 complaints since the high rise project began.

The city had issued 13 violations at the construction site in the past 27 months.

Solorzano reported that Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer is demanding change.

"We've had partial building collapses; we've had fires in buildings," said Stringer, "we've had cranes pummeling down shafts in buildings; we've had loss of life injuries. This incident is just the latest example of needless people dieing because we do not have proper safety protocols in this city."

MMVIII, CBS Interactive Inc

Okay, I searched under 'crane' and 'Manhattan' and could not find the original thread. I also went back 10 days and couldn't find it. It's time for the mods to start earning their money and merge this with the original thread.

Chris
Old 03-20-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The key here is this statement "However, Lancaster said it is very unlikely an inspection would have prevented the accident because the parts of the crane that failed were not on site on March 4."

Charge him for lying about his job and nothing else. Pretty much a non-story.
Old 03-20-08, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I searched under 'crane' and 'Manhattan' and could not find the original thread.
So you say, but did you really?
Old 03-20-08, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
So you say, but did you really?
I need proof that you actually found the thread in question!

Chris
Old 03-20-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was the where was Spider-Man thread.
Old 03-20-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Inspector arrested....

NEW YORK (AP) -- A city inspector has been charged with lying about checking on a construction crane that later collapsed, killing seven people in a dense Manhattan neighborhood, officials said Thursday.

Members of emergency services units remove debris from the site of the crane collapse on Monday.

Edward Marquette was arrested Wednesday on charges of falsifying business records, buildings Commissioner Patricia Lancaster said.

"We will not tolerate this kind of behavior at the Department of Buildings," she said.

A complaint about the crane was logged March 4 to a city hot line, officials said, and Marquette said he inspected it. It was later determined he had not.

However, Lancaster said it is very unlikely an inspection would have prevented the accident because the parts of the crane that failed were not on site on March 4.

Marquette, 46, was arraigned in state Supreme Court and released without bail. His lawyer, Kate Moguletscu, had no comment as she left court.

Lancaster said that in addition to suspending Marquette, she has ordered a full audit of his inspection reports over the past six months, and also of the cranes and derricks unit of the department.

The collapse pulverized a brownstone and damaged several other buildings.

The gigantic piece of machinery toppled over when a six-ton steel collar used to secure the crane to the building came loose, plunging into another collar that acted as a major anchor. Without that support, it came tumbling down with terrifying force.

The collapse followed weeks of complaints by people in the neighborhood that the crane didn't appear safe.

Bruce Silberblatt, the retired contractor who called in the complaint, said he was stunned by the arrest.

"My first reaction was astonishment. My second reaction is anger that a person would have the gall to do this," Silberblatt said.
advertisement

Earlier, city officials said they had started inspecting every construction crane in use around New York City, though authorities have said there's no indication that Saturday's accident points to a larger problem with cranes.

The inspections began Wednesday, Buildings Department spokeswoman Kate Lindquist said.
Old 03-20-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I updated the original thread and never saw this thread until just now.

Yeah, a mod should probably change the original thread's title. I passed by it many times, at the same time, wondered why there wasn't a thread about the crane collapse.
Old 03-25-08, 05:17 PM

When cranes attack!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...r=HOME_3966907

2 Workers Killed In Miami Crane Collapse

4 Construction Workers Also Injured As Crane Toppes At High-Rise Condominium Site

MIAMI, March 25, 2008

(CBS/AP) Two construction workers were killed and four others were injured Tuesday when a crane collapsed at a downtown high-rise condominium site and fell on top of an unoccupied home that the contractor used as an office, police said.

The injured were in serious but not critical condition, Miami police spokesman Delrish Moss said. One of those killed died at the scene, the other at the hospital, Moss said.

Fire officials said the crane was not stable, so the rescue efforts were hampered. Rescue workers were going through the rubble at the site on Biscayne Bay.

The Miami Herald reported that the arm of the crane plunged from the top of the Paramount Bay Condo, a 50-story building under construction, and crashed through the roof of the unoccupied home.

"I watched it go through the roof. It was a disaster," Mike Huffstutlear, a drywall supervisor, told the newspaper.

Parts of the home were destroyed by the crane. Miami fire spokesman Ignatius Carroll said the building was used in the movie "There's Something About Mary."

Workers at the sales office for the condo complex said they had no details about the accident or what construction company was on site. The tower developer, Royal Palms Communities, did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Tower cranes and crane operators are not licensed or regulated by the state of Florida, but bills moving through both houses of the Legislature would change that.

The accident came 10 days after a 20-story crane collapsed at a
New York construction site, killing seven people.

MMVIII, CBS Interactive Inc

Chris