Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YACT: Best place to get brakes

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I technically know how to do it, I'm not confident enough in my abilities to risk driving my 3 kids around with my brake-job.

Where is the best place to have brakes installed without going broke doing it? I usually have a friend do them, but the weather hasn't been cooperating lately.

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 03-14-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve

Go to amazom.com and search for the terms Haynes and then your car, so if you had a civic, search for Haynes Civic

Buy the manual that matches your car

You can pretty much find the parts you need at www.rockauto.com at a good price and do it yourself in about an hour an axel

There is no worrying about driving your kids around on a brake job that you did, either it will work or it doesn't so either you will die in the test drive or you won't go on the test drive alone

I would avoid any chain store and try to find a good local mechanic that will charge you per hour labor instead of charging you the 'Brake Package' price. The package is designed to screw you.
Old 03-14-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Steve
There is no worrying about driving your kids around on a brake job that you did, either it will work or it doesn't so either you will die in the test drive or you won't go on the test drive alone

LOL, nice...thanks Ken.

I'll check out the Amazon search, but I seriously doubt I will go that route. I'm just really weird about doing the brakes (because of the kids). I'm not exactly a 'car guy'.
Old 03-14-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would ask your friend if he knows anyone that would do the brakes for you.
Old 03-14-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like 4KRG said, avoid the chain places. If you don't want to do them yourself and your friend isn't available, ask him for a recommendation. You're better off taking it to a local mechanic anyway.