Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Flying British Airways question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-08, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is admittedly a bit of a random question. I'm flying into London next week (Heathrow) via British Airways.

Their website states I can carry on one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles).

Does it matter if one dimension is longer than the stated limit if another dimension is significantly shorter? Should I simply be trying to stay below 48 inches (22+17+9=48")?

Thanks for any help. Oh, and any suggestions on what to see in London, Paris, and Berlin---beyond the necessary touristy stops---would also be appreciated!
Old 03-14-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My experience (only one trip to England, so take it for what it's worth)...you'll probably be able to get the bag to England, but possibly not back. The Brits are much more stringent on the baggage thing. If it doesn't fit in the little box they use to measure bags, they're likely to not let it onboard.
Old 03-14-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, based on my trip to Dublin last year... flights in/out of Europe are NUTS with their requirements. I wouldn't risk it. I read a story/blog about a guy having to pay like $500 (more than his ticket) to fly from Amsterdam to London with his extra baggage.
Old 03-15-08, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The dimension rule is that they want to make sure that the bags can fit in the overhead bins or under the seats.

The real question is whether or not it's a soft-sided item - that is, could you squish it into the maximum space? If so, you should be OK, if not then you're playing with fire.