Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Old 03-14-08, 12:24 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave7393
I can see the OP's point about what his wife is doing, but to be honest, I'd have a problem being convinced that Walmart management cares all that much about someone's missing personal property if they know that they can eventually take it home if it goes unclaimed.

"Oh, no, nobody turned that in. We haven't seen it. Sorry." (Two months later, when cleaning out the lost and found--- "oops... yeah I remember someone called for this.. what was her name again? Oh nevermind. It's been here how long? Yeah, well, I guess I'll take it home.")

I have no idea IF anyone (including your wife) would do that, but I certainly could imagine it happening somewhere. Not a great policy to have when the an employee can personally end up owning whatever's sitting in the lost and found.
I agree with you whole heartedly that this could happen and that people could take advantage of it. I see your point and to an extent everyone else's. It just happens that what I posted is true, nothing was stolen, or set asside with malicious intent. I guess people just want to form their own opinion and stick with it. I can respect that, but the people with the negative outlook are wrong.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:26 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
And I would imagine that everyone here who posted a negative reply is morally wholesome and has never done anything in their life that someone else would find questionable? Including yourself of course.

And I'm really not defending myself, I am having fun replying back to all the perfect people who have never done anything questionable in their lives.

we're not the ones who started a thread about how great it is to take whatever we wanted from lost & found items that are supposed to go to goodwill.

and just because you donate stuff yourself does not excuse the act. I can't believe how oblivious you are to this. people are piling on because you are blind or just plain ignorant to what you're doing.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:30 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post


this thread rules.
Liver&Onions is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:32 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
we're not the ones who started a thread about how great it is to take whatever we wanted from lost & found items that are supposed to go to goodwill.

and just because you donate stuff yourself does not excuse the act. I can't believe how oblivious you are to this. people are piling on because you are blind or just plain ignorant to what you're doing.

Your reply had nothing to do with the partial quote you used. That makes sense. And definately don't mention the parts where I said that I agreed with people.

It is good for you to only use half of the argument.

I have to leave for about an hour, I will come back and argue with you more later.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:32 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions


this thread rules.

I am truly starting to enjoy all of the narrow mindedness.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:37 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the Moral High Horse known as DVDTalk.

This is the same message board where people have, for years, discussed ways to abuse coupon use, customer return policies at stores, and in some instances, downright defraud companies. I'm sure these exact same people would take a brand new iPod in a 2-month lost-n-found box to Goodwill so they can sleep at night.

In the interest of open disclosure, I would keep the good shit in the box too and not feel bad about it.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:37 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,294
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trubiet
I am truly starting to enjoy all of the narrow mindedness.
It's great that you're accepting of your 1% of the donation theft. The funniest is that you don't admit it. If you did, then you'd likely not get as much flack. It's like other posters who ask for advice on things, and then they shoot down all advice offered.
Liver&Onions is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:41 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
Your reply had nothing to do with the partial quote you used. That makes sense. And definately don't mention the parts where I said that I agreed with people.

It is good for you to only use half of the argument.

I have to leave for about an hour, I will come back and argue with you more later.

how about you just contact Goodwill and see what they're thoughts are on what you're doing and then get back to us.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 12:43 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why doesn't the store manager pick through the lost and found before asking your wife to deliver it to Goodwill? Could it be because they expect ALL of the items to be donated?
Numanoid is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:03 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a good practice at all. For instance:

1) Do you claim the donations from Wal-Mart lost and found on YOUR tax deductions? Or does Wal-Mart get a receipt of the donation to claim on corporate tax deductions?
2) It seems your wife is benefiting in a way that other employees are not. Maybe she should go around the store and give each employee a lost and found item as well. I'd give the first one to the store manager. I'm sure he'd be happy with the latest DVD or something similar.

Last edited by Robertwoj; 03-14-08 at 01:12 PM.
Robertwoj is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:05 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How on earth does an unopened DS Lite and an unopened iPod find their way into the Lost and Found at Walmart? Makes no sense...
Anubis2005X is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:11 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
argh923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Muncie, IN [Member formerly known as abrg923]
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
Ok everyone else wins. Because it certainly is not possible that this could happen. I made the whole thing up so people would give me a hard time and I would have to defend myself.

I better go home and tell my wife that I have known for 23 years that she is a liar and a thief.
Hate to tell you this, but she is a thief, and I'd say a liar as well. Why? Because she's not telling Wal-Mart that she's keeping some of the items herself instead of donating them. That means she's stealing, and lying to her bosses about where the items go.

Unless you're going to tell me she clears each item she brings home with her bosses first?
argh923 is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:15 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
argh923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Muncie, IN [Member formerly known as abrg923]
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
And I would imagine that everyone here who posted a negative reply is morally wholesome and has never done anything in their life that someone else would find questionable? Including yourself of course.

And I'm really not defending myself, I am having fun replying back to all the perfect people who have never done anything questionable in their lives.
When you make these types of posts, you're basically defending the fact that you're stealing by stating that everyone does questionable things. So you're admitting that what you're doing is, at best, shady and questionable.
argh923 is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:21 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Just north of Atlanta
Posts: 5,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Hate to tell you this, but she is a thief, and I'd say a liar as well. Why? Because she's not telling Wal-Mart that she's keeping some of the items herself instead of donating them. That means she's stealing, and lying to her bosses about where the items go.

Unless you're going to tell me she clears each item she brings home with her bosses first?

Where the hell are all of you getting "stealing" from? Going strictly by the OP's info, the store manager checks the items before turning them over to his wife to ensure none of the items are missing from Wal-Mart inventory. The store manager then gives the items with the wife to discard as she chooses. If she decides to give even a single item from the discarded Lost and Found to Goodwill then she is going above and beyond what is being asked of her. Again, according to the op these items are to be discarded at his wife's discretion.

Now with that said, I doubt the whole story is being told. Either the manager or op's wife is not following what I would guess is Wal-Marts corporate policy.
johnglass is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:22 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of you calling her a thief, please tell me who the items belong to. To be a thief, there needs to be a victim.

The place is handing this lady this stuff and saying to get rid of it. They're not saying "give it to charity" or "give it to goodwill". They're just saying "take it away". At this point, it's crystal clear that Wal-mart has zero vested interest in where it goes and is not interested in ownership of the items in the lost-and-found.

Therefore, the items are technically owned by whomever has them in their possession. Would Wal-mart be pissed off if they found out? Most likely. But they also wouldn't have a leg to stand on because "get rid of it" is ENTIRELY different than "give the lost-and-found items to charity".

The only reason this is getting any sort of backlash is because there are a couple of high-value (for a lost-and-found, anyway) items. If this lady was taking socks out of the box, nobody would give a shit about morals and principles and this thread would have died instantly.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:28 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 652
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
In the past I have mentioned some of the free things I have gotten due to the fact that my wife is a front end manager at (Sorry to say) Walmart.

Every 60 days my wife takes the Lost & Found to the local thrift store, but she always checks it first....
.
Originally Posted by trubiet
I know, it seems to unbelievable. Who in the world would leave these kind of items behind. I always ask my wife why they don't just add stuff like this to their inventory? She said that they check the item/count to make sure nothing is missing or stolen. Then they wait for 60 days to see if anyone claims the item, if not....She takes garbage bags full of stuff every two months. About 99% of it is all given to Goodwill.
Originally Posted by johnglass
Where the hell are all of you getting "stealing" from? Going strictly by the OP's info, the store manager checks the items before turning them over to his wife to ensure none of the items are missing from Wal-Mart inventory. The store manager then gives the items with the wife to discard as she chooses. If she decides to give even a single item from the discarded Lost and Found to Goodwill then she is going above and beyond what is being asked of her. Again, according to the op these items are to be discarded at his wife's discretion.
Did I miss the part where the store manager says to discard AS SHE CHOOSES? Sounds like the intent was to always deliver it to goodwill.
Robertwoj is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:29 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Those of you calling her a thief, please tell me who the items belong to. To be a thief, there needs to be a victim.

The place is handing this lady this stuff and saying to get rid of it. They're not saying "give it to charity" or "give it to goodwill". They're just saying "take it away". At this point, it's crystal clear that Wal-mart has zero vested interest in where it goes and is not interested in ownership of the items in the lost-and-found.

Therefore, the items are technically owned by whomever has them in their possession. Would Wal-mart be pissed off if they found out? Most likely. But they also wouldn't have a leg to stand on because "get rid of it" is ENTIRELY different than "give the lost-and-found items to charity".

The only reason this is getting any sort of backlash is because there are a couple of high-value (for a lost-and-found, anyway) items. If this lady was taking socks out of the box, nobody would give a shit about morals and principles and this thread would have died instantly.
This.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:29 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Welcome to the Moral High Horse known as DVDTalk.

This is the same message board where people have, for years, discussed ways to abuse coupon use, customer return policies at stores, and in some instances, downright defraud companies. I'm sure these exact same people would take a brand new iPod in a 2-month lost-n-found box to Goodwill so they can sleep at night.

In the interest of open disclosure, I would keep the good shit in the box too and not feel bad about it.
One person. Thank You!
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:32 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnglass
Where the hell are all of you getting "stealing" from? Going strictly by the OP's info, the store manager checks the items before turning them over to his wife to ensure none of the items are missing from Wal-Mart inventory. The store manager then gives the items with the wife to discard as she chooses. If she decides to give even a single item from the discarded Lost and Found to Goodwill then she is going above and beyond what is being asked of her. Again, according to the op these items are to be discarded at his wife's discretion.

Now with that said, I doubt the whole story is being told. Either the manager or op's wife is not following what I would guess is Wal-Marts corporate policy.
EXACTLY. People should read the entire post before making stupid comments. The store MGR and other co-MGr's are aware of what gets put into the lost and found. This is why I am stressing that I don't look at it as stealing. I should have posted..."Found I-pod in lost and found and threw it away".
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:34 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robertwoj
Did I miss the part where the store manager says to discard AS SHE CHOOSES? Sounds like the intent was to always deliver it to goodwill.
I think you did. The only directive given to her by her manager (according to the OP) is, "Get rid of these bags."
crazyronin is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:35 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 761
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Those of you calling her a thief, please tell me who the items belong to. To be a thief, there needs to be a victim.

The place is handing this lady this stuff and saying to get rid of it. They're not saying "give it to charity" or "give it to goodwill". They're just saying "take it away". At this point, it's crystal clear that Wal-mart has zero vested interest in where it goes and is not interested in ownership of the items in the lost-and-found.

Therefore, the items are technically owned by whomever has them in their possession. Would Wal-mart be pissed off if they found out? Most likely. But they also wouldn't have a leg to stand on because "get rid of it" is ENTIRELY different than "give the lost-and-found items to charity".

The only reason this is getting any sort of backlash is because there are a couple of high-value (for a lost-and-found, anyway) items. If this lady was taking socks out of the box, nobody would give a shit about morals and principles and this thread would have died instantly.

Again thank you, this is my point exactly. You just happened to be able to put it into better wording that hopefully others will understand. The items were NOT supposed to have any protocol as far as where they went. It was simply "Get rid of this stuff that is taking up space" every two months. That is why I don't consider it stealing.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:35 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Working for Gizmonic Institute
Posts: 10,430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
One person. Thank You!
Excuse me? You need to use a little stronger reading comprehension on my posts.
crazyronin is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:37 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trubiet
One person. Thank You!

Uh yeah, using Scorcho as your defense really isn't helping your case!
jonw9 is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:38 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i apologize if this has already been asked, but if your wife was merely "finding" these new in box gadgets (ipod, nintendo ds lite), why wouldn't the store print a price tag on them and put them back on the shelf.

it would sound like it was your wife's duty to tell them that this stuff found its way into the lost and found, and then be placed back on the shelf for sale. to me it sounds like she could basically be fired for theft. she might not have actually stolent something, but she took something the company could have made money on. that should be a firing offense for cause in most states.

I have a few theories as to what is really going on here, but i'll share them later.
deadlax is offline  
Old 03-14-08, 01:38 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robertwoj
Did I miss the part where the store manager says to discard AS SHE CHOOSES? Sounds like the intent was to always deliver it to goodwill.

Did I miss the part where the store manager and/or company either explicitly or implicity stated an intent to give the bags to charity?
El Scorcho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.