Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Other Talk "Otterville"

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Old 03-14-08, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok everyone else wins. Because it certainly is not possible that this could happen. I made the whole thing up so people would give me a hard time and I would have to defend myself.

I better go home and tell my wife that I have known for 23 years that she is a liar and a thief.
Old 03-14-08, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
everything is given to goodwill.....except for that of value. I can't believe you don't even see how messed up such a thing is.

And it ain't luck. It's called stealing.
Stealing equals unclaimed lost and found items that are going to be given away or thrown away?

I don't agree ,and if people would really tell the truth, most of them would probably keep an electronic item of value.
Old 03-14-08, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by trubiet
I know, it seems to unbelievable. Who in the world would leave these kind of items behind. I always ask my wife why they don't just add stuff like this to their inventory? She said that they check the item/count to make sure nothing is missing or stolen. Then they wait for 60 days to see if anyone claims the item, if not....She takes garbage bags full of stuff every two months. About 99% of it is all given to Goodwill.
And the other 1% you and your wife steal.
Old 03-14-08, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
And the other 1% you and your wife steal.
Stealing equals unclaimed lost and found items that are going to be given away or thrown away?

I don't agree ,and if people would really tell the truth, most of them would probably keep an electronic item of value.
Old 03-14-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing starting this thread may of caused something of a downturn in the great week you were having.
Old 03-14-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
As a former Walmart employee, can we get a YMMV in the title?
Old 03-14-08, 11:28 AM

We should change the "OTHER" thread to "everyone here is perfect and has never done anything remotely wrong in their entire lives". So don't start a thread that we don't think is possible.

Ok everyone else wins. Because it certainly is not possible that this could happen. I made the whole thing up so people would give me a hard time and I would have to defend myself.

I better go home and tell my wife that I have known for 23 years that she is a liar and a thief.
Old 03-14-08, 11:28 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome, uummm... sounds like your wife is pretty good at sneaking stuff out of WalMart... then again I have a pretty good feeling she isn't the only one biting the hand that feeds. Good luck with those conjugal visits in the near future.
Old 03-14-08, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
I'm guessing starting this thread may of caused something of a downturn in the great week you were having.
The morning anyway. I really don't care if people who don't know me want to attack me. I know the truth and that in the end is all that matters.

I assume some people are having fun, and others really think that my wife stole from her employer. To the later, give something the benefit of the doubt.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Might want to give her a "heads up" before you head home. No telling what else she might be being "sneaky" about.

The items were to be given away to Goodwill - who would have sold them at their stores, and with the money they would fund their soup kitchens, battered women shelters, and outreach programs.

So yeah, that iPod that Goodwill could have sold and used the money to feed 100 homeless people supper; is now in your grimy little hands.

I can't believe you don't see the problem.

hey thats awesome
Old 03-14-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it's stealing, but most places I have worked have specific policies against this sort of thing. I think the idea is if you allow an employee to take items on a regular basis, it might encourage them to aid customers in losing items.
Old 03-14-08, 11:38 AM

The items were to be given away to Goodwill - who would have sold them at their stores, and with the money they would fund their soup kitchens, battered women shelters, and outreach programs.

So yeah, that iPod that Goodwill could have sold and used the money to feed 100 homeless people supper; is now in your grimy little hands.

I can't believe you don't see the problem.

hey thats awesome
I honestly see your point there, I am still simply saying that admit it or not, most people would keep an I-pod. On a different note, my wife and I donate very nice clothing items (Polo,Tommy,Hilf,Tommy Bahama) items several times a year to goodwill and St Vincent DePaul which is a thrift store in our home town.

We probably donate a couple thousand dollars a year easily, so it is not like it is all take and no "give". But if you only want to see the negative side, that is obviously your right.
Old 03-14-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
my wife and I donate very nice clothing items (Polo,Tommy,Hilf,Tommy Bahama) items several times a year to goodwill and St Vincent DePaul which is a thrift store in our home town.
Because I'm sure that the people who shop at goodwill are so damn concerned about designer clothing

Hey that is awesome
Old 03-14-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly see your point there, I am still simply saying that admit it or not, most people would keep an I-pod. On a different note, my wife and I donate very nice clothing items (Polo,Tommy,Hilf,Tommy Bahama) items several times a year to goodwill and St Vincent DePaul which is a thrift store in our home town.

We probably donate a couple thousand dollars a year easily, so it is not like it is all take and no "give". But if you only want to see the negative side, that is obviously your right.

Well since it sounds like you and your wife are the Warren Buffets of your hometown. Why would you waste your time taking ipod's and DS's and other items from the lost and found?

Oh and if you don't want everything you say broken down, analyzed and attacked then don't start a thread on a topic that people are going to disagree with you in.

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.
Old 03-14-08, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by John Galt
Because I'm sure that the people who shop at goodwill are so damn concerned about designer clothing

Hey that is awesome
You are right, it would be better to give them crappy cheap clothing at a decent price as opposed to quality clothing at a decent price.
Old 03-14-08, 11:51 AM

Oh and if you don't want everything you say broken down, analyzed and attacked then don't start a thread on a topic that people are going to disagree with you in.

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.[/QUOTE]

Never said that, I was just saying that it is actually pretty narrow minded of everyone to think that this is not possible or just one big lying stealing scam.

I guess you just needed to focus on the negative part. The fact that we give away thousands of dollars of clothing is not important.
Old 03-14-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You obviously have no idea about what Goodwill does.

On topic: If the manager truly says, "Get rid of these bags." without any qualifiers (i.e. "by taking them to Goodwill.") she would be perfectly justified in throwing them in the trash or taking the contents home and selling them on Ebay or craigslist. Instead she takes most of it to Goodwill. Win/win and
Old 03-14-08, 11:55 AM

I'd bet if this situation was taken to corporate, there'd be trouble. Not saying you're knowingly doing anything wrong, but there is a definite conflict here.
Old 03-14-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On a different note, my wife and I donate very nice clothing items (Polo,Tommy,Hilf,Tommy Bahama) items several times a year to goodwill and St Vincent DePaul which is a thrift store in our home town.

Wow, I didn't even realize these brands were sold at Walmart!

Now that my friend, is awesome!!
Old 03-14-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt Walmart would look favorably on someone helping themselves to items in the Lost & Found instead of donating them.
Old 03-14-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh its happening, but that is still stealing.
Old 03-14-08, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Oh its happening, but that is still stealing.
And I would imagine that everyone here who posted a negative reply is morally wholesome and has never done anything in their life that someone else would find questionable? Including yourself of course.

And I'm really not defending myself, I am having fun replying back to all the perfect people who have never done anything questionable in their lives.
Old 03-14-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can see the OP's point about what his wife is doing, but to be honest, I'd have a problem being convinced that Walmart management cares all that much about someone's missing personal property if they know that they can eventually take it home if it goes unclaimed.

"Oh, no, nobody turned that in. We haven't seen it. Sorry." (Two months later, when cleaning out the lost and found--- "oops... yeah I remember someone called for this.. what was her name again? Oh nevermind. It's been here how long? Yeah, well, I guess I'll take it home.")

I have no idea IF anyone (including your wife) would do that, but I certainly could imagine it happening somewhere. Not a great policy to have when the an employee can personally end up owning whatever's sitting in the lost and found.
Old 03-14-08, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin
You obviously have no idea about what Goodwill does.

On topic: If the manager truly says, "Get rid of these bags." without any qualifiers (i.e. "by taking them to Goodwill.") she would be perfectly justified in throwing them in the trash or taking the contents home and selling them on Ebay or craigslist. Instead she takes most of it to Goodwill. Win/win and
I do know what Goodwill does, they help numerous people and I am all for it. As far as the store manager, they just want it taken away. There are no specific orders given. It starts to take up storage space and as mentioned before, they tell her to take/get rid of it every two months.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.