Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any "home build" experience or advice [including DIY publications]

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Does anyone have any "home build" experience or advice [including DIY publications]

Old 03-14-08, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently planning on selling my home this spring and building one. I have searched this forum and came up blank. I am looking for a couple of good "How To" type books that will help me build an energy efficient home but still be pretty enviormentally friendly. I will not be building an R2000 home or the Energy Star qualified one BUT I will be building it with some of these aspects in mind. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-16-08, 07:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Methinks that most (not all) of the Book Talk traffic relates to fiction.

So, although this was posted in the right place, I have re-titled it and moved it to Other in the hope that some of the "Tool Man Tim" types that peruse these pages will be able to offer some help to Celtic Bob on his upcoming project.
Old 03-16-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest problem with houses is are infiltration (and with super insulated houses, the lack of air infiltration.) On a regular stud frame house, I would install 1/2 inch blueboard over the sheathing and caulk all the joints to keep air out. I would frame with 2x6 walls minimum. The combination of these two ideas also keeps you from having cold spots at your electrical outlets (a definite problem with 2x4and even 2x6 construction. The insulation is thinner behind the box, lowering the r-value.) Vapor barrier the inside of the wall and make sure you have enough or extra insulation in the ceiling.
Old 03-16-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
..."Tool Man Tim" types...

Last edited by crazyronin; 03-16-08 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Insulate-Weath...5715776&sr=8-1

Hands down the best book I've read in regards to insulating your house properly. Often times, it's not a matter of cost but rather technique.
Old 03-17-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd agree with the use of at least 2x6 construction for all exterior walls...
Old 03-17-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know how "how to" it's written, but probably the best reference for energy efficient residential buildings is ASHRAE Standard 90.2:
http://openpub.realread.com/rrserver...90_2_2007_1280

ASHRAE is the organization that helps to write many of the energy codes in the country. I design HVAC systems for commercial buildings, and we use the commercial version (ASHRAE 90.1) all the time.

If you want to actually buy a copy of the Standard, it's available from the ASHRAE website: http://www.ashrae.org
I hope that this helps.
Old 03-18-08, 04:42 PM

Thanks.
I should know this week if I am building or doing massive reno's to my current place to bring the 50yr old house up to date.
Old 03-25-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd suggest checking out some of the online DIY TV show websites. Also, a good local library should have lots of books on remodeling and construction.