Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do in Tampa Bay, FL?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-08, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be in Tampa Bay, FL this weekend for a wedding. I figured I'd stay an extra day or so to get away from work for a bit (first opportunity to do so in quite some time ). I thought about heading down to Ft. Myers to catch some baseball...any suggestions for what to do in Tampa Bay?
Old 03-13-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ybor city has a bunch of bars & clubs, close to downtown. There are some spring training sites in tampa & st pete that are much closer than ft meyers.
Old 03-13-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Drive over to St. Pete and check out the Dali Museum.
2) Hip replacement

das
Old 03-13-08, 06:02 PM

I grew up in Tampa and now live in nearby (and superior, in my opinion) St. Petersburg, FL, so I'm a good authority on what to do in Tampa. I would hardly call Tampa the greatest city around, but the area does have its share of things to do. Here are some ideas for your rental car (which you'll need since Tampa doesn't offer much in the way of public transport):
1. If you like socializing and partying, Ybor City (http://www.ybor.org/) and International Plaza offer some options.
2. If you are into theme parks, Busch Gardens is pretty decent and offers a mix of ride and animals.
3. For just animals, Lowry Park Zoo ( http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/) is a fine place to go.
4. If you are into big cats, Big Cat Rescue (http://www.bigcatrescue.org/) makes for a good day trip. Or if you want to see manatees, head on over to TECO power plant viewing center (http://www.tampaelectric.com/manatee/).
5. If you like art, then I'd go to the Museum of Fine Arts in addition to the aforementioned Dali Museum.
6. For a great beach, try Fort De Soto just beyond St. Petersburg. You can also try sea kayaking there.
Old 03-13-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mons Venus
Old 03-13-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What Red Dog said.
Old 03-13-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dali Museum is pretty much the most worthwhile thing you could possibly see in Florida. It is absolutely amazing and well worth the visit. Probably the only thing that would bring be back to that infernal state.

I would go out for dinner and drinks in Ybor City after that, then GTFO.
Old 03-13-08, 07:01 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Another vote for Ft. Desoto beach (voted 2008 top American beach). Go now before they raise the toll from $.35 to $7.50. They just lowered our taxes, so we get bonehead moves like this one. They don't have enough money to maintain the bridge to the beach, so they pull this crap. The beach is very cool though. We go there a lot. The sand is powdery like sugar. Go to the most northern part of North Beach parking lot.

You should be able to catch a Spring Training game at any of the 4 local parks. Rays are in St. Pete, Phillies are in Clearwater, Blue Jays are in Dunedin, and the Yanks are in Tampa. The Tigers are in Lakeland, but that's a bit of a drive. You can probably get tickets to any of the teams except the Yankees. You'll have to buy off someone at the game if you want Yanks tickets.

Ms. M also has some very good suggestions.
Old 03-13-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fish for crabs off the causeway...
Old 03-14-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lowry zoo is a great zoo. That was the highlight on my last trip to Tampa, we didnt go to busch gardens cause of the price and Ive been there as a kid. St. Pete is nice, Tampa itself is kinda ghetto
Old 03-14-08, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Splitsville. http://www.splitsvillelanes.com/index2.htm

It's bad ass. Its like an bowling alley meets Jack Rabbit Slims. Awesomeness. I went there when we went to see The Police in Tampa last summer.
Old 03-14-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Star Trek convention + strip club = 2001 Odyssey
Old 03-14-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega
Another vote for Ft. Desoto beach (voted 2008 top American beach). Go now before they raise the toll from $.35 to $7.50. They just lowered our taxes, so we get bonehead moves like this one. They don't have enough money to maintain the bridge to the beach, so they pull this crap. The beach is very cool though. We go there a lot. The sand is powdery like sugar. Go to the most northern part of North Beach parking lot.

You should be able to catch a Spring Training game at any of the 4 local parks. Rays are in St. Pete, Phillies are in Clearwater, Blue Jays are in Dunedin, and the Yanks are in Tampa. The Tigers are in Lakeland, but that's a bit of a drive. You can probably get tickets to any of the teams except the Yankees. You'll have to buy off someone at the game if you want Yanks tickets.

Ms. M also has some very good suggestions.
Damn, I used to live on tierra verde, so I was at desoto quite a bit. I'd assume this is the bridge right at the park entrance, and not the first one onto TV?
Old 03-14-08, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 03-18-08, 03:36 PM

Had a nice long weekend in Tampa/St. Pete.
  • Stayed at the Hilton in St. Pete (across the street from Progress Park -- watched the Rays practice)
  • Had dinner at Pacific Wave and walked to Ceviche for entertainment
  • Spent an afternoon at the Lowry Park Zoo
  • Went to Ft. Desoto beach (twice)
  • Drove over the toll bridge to Bradenton/Holmes Beach
  • Wedding ceremony was on the beach (north St. Pete) at sunset - very nice

I was quite impressed with this area -- would definitely make a return visit. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 03-18-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you go back, see a movie at the Tampa Theatre. It's beautiful.
Old 03-18-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ybor City - check

Dali Museum - check

MOSI
Old 03-18-08, 04:39 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave99
Damn, I used to live on tierra verde, so I was at desoto quite a bit. I'd assume this is the bridge right at the park entrance, and not the first one onto TV?
Here's an article on it:

CBS Channel 10 Tampa
St. Petersburg, Florida – Wednesday night, the public’s invited to sound off on a plan that would hike up tolls on the Pinellas Bayway and at Fort DeSoto in Pinellas County.

Under the Florida Department of Transportation plan, tolls on the Pinellas Bayway would increase from 50 cents to $1.25 on July 1. By the end of the bond issue in 2038, they would be $3.50.

The general public annual pass would go from $50 a year to $125, and by 2038, to $256 a year.

At the Fort DeSoto toll booth, which is currently a 35-cent charge, the toll would jump to $2.50, and then to $7.25 by 2038.

Robert Hardy of Clearwater, who has been fishing at Fort DeSoto for 55 years, says a $7.25 toll would end his weekly excursions.

“Seven bucks is seven dollars worth of fuel I can put in this [boat]. Seven dollars is four lures,” he said from his boat Tuesday morning.

“And if you’re doing that on a biweekly basis, that’s 14 dollars… I can eat lunch for three days on 14 dollars. So am I going to spend it to drive all the way down here? No, I won’t do it.”

FDOT officials say the increases are necessary to pay for construction of the Pinellas Bayway and Tierra Verde bridges.

But a group called the Citizens Bayway Task Force says there are other ways to raise the money, including: diverting funds from the Sunshine Skyway tolls
allocating a portion of Penny for Pinellas, and finding federal funding.

But Kris Carson, a spokesperson for F-DOT, says none of those alternatives are viable.

Carson says diverting money from the Skyway is called ‘double tolling,’ and FDOT does not do that. Money, however, has been used from the Skyway tolls on non-toll facilities, such as U.S. 19.

Also, the Pinellas Bayway bridges are part of the state highway system, which makes it extremely unlikely that Penny for Pinellas funds could be used, Carson said.

As far as using federal funding, Carson says every federal dollar in the FDOT system is already committed to other projects.

Wednesday’s informal F-DOT workshop is open to the public.

It will be held at the St. Pete Beach Community Center at 7701 Boca Ciega Drive from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Formal public hearings would precede any decision on tolls.