Reload this Page >

752 dogs rescued from "crazy dog couple's" mobile home

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-13-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Heard this story on the radio yesterday, and they were doubtful that the number was right... I've heard of crazy cat people with lots of cats, but never dogs. And 700+ of them? In a mobile home??? plus birds?????

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/local/79436.php

Authorities said 752 dogs and 36 birds were seized this week at a property in the 12200 block of West Manville Road.
Authorities were tipped off by a case of kennel cough.
The canine count increased even as the dogs were being taken to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona; a few gave birth en route.
Neighbors said the triple-wide mobile home was the residence of Billy and Wanda Jones for about the past 10 years. Some residents figured the couple kept about 50 dogs; others thought about 150. No one in their wildest estimate guessed more than 700.
Most of the animals were in crates in the home. Some were found in a barn on the property. All were in squalid surroundings, Rose said.
"The conditions were pretty brutal," Rose said. "There were lots of animals and feces everywhere."

Some dogs were missing their paws, Rose said, most likely the result of getting caught in fencing or attacked by other dogs. Three dogs were found dead, one from being attacked. The other two were puppies.
One arrived in such bad shape it had to be euthanized, Rose said.
"She wouldn't even invite me over when she first moved in," said Rita Backes, 57, who lives with her husband, their 3-year-old foster child and four dogs on an adjacent 5-acre lot.
Backes said the Joneses are nice people but increasingly kept to themselves over the years.
She knew Wanda Jones loved the animals and fed them Iams brand food because an Iams truck would deliver once a month.
"Maybe she just was a compassionate person and didn't know how to channel it," Backes said. "Maybe she had an obsession. Well, obviously she had an obsession."
Neighbors Doug and Mary Schroder, both 50, weren't as laid-back.
Mary Schroder said she repeatedly called the Pima Animal Care Center for the past several years to no avail.
"They could have taken care of this 400 dogs ago," she said.

She said the dogs were constantly barking or fighting, and frequently got loose.
When the breeze blew just right, it made for an awful odor, she said.
"The stench was worse than a slaughterhouse," she said. "No, it was worse than crossing the Santa Cruz River with the wind blowing in from the (sewage) plant."
The Schroders tried mediation with the Joneses, bringing Our Family Community Mediation into the mix to help with the barking.
"It would be quieter for a few days, then start all over again," she said.
Within the last year, the situation got markedly worse, she said.
At times, Schroder said, she would have to pick up 60 to 70 bags of dog waste after Jones walked her pooches on the easement in front of the Schroders' house.
Old 03-13-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How high did they stack them?

Oh and I bet the owners couldnt smell the stench, just like NYC-ers cant smell the piss
Old 03-13-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmm... I'm a little confused, maybe I don't understand what a triple wide mobile home is. The picture in the link of their house looks like a normal house.

Here's another link with "exclusive" pics showing multiple animals in cages:
http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=8006272
Old 03-13-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would love to see pics of this mobile home --- sounds more like Noah's Arc
Old 03-13-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
How high did they stack them?

Oh and I bet the owners couldnt smell the stench, just like NYC-ers cant smell the piss
I heard about this on the radio this morning.They said most were small dog breeds (like under 10 lbs), but even if you gave each dog 2 cubic ft to turn around in, that's 1600 cu/ft!! Like you said that, that would mean on one level, they must have been stacked at least 2 or 3 high to be in a trailer and barn.

I wonder how much the food cost and how they could afford it.
Old 03-13-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dogs will eat their own doodoo, that'll save on purina
Old 03-13-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
dogs will eat their own doodoo, that'll save on purina
they also probably fed the neighborhood kids to em.