Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Which would you do... or... having a budget sucks!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Which would you do?
Buy Dan In Real Life DVD - save change
4.44%
Buy August Rush DVD - save change
0%
Turn in change and buy BOTH DVDs
0%
Save till next week, turn in change and buy SSBB
22.22%
Save for a couple weeks, turn in change and buy GHIII
15.56%
Buy 1 DVD and turn in change to get iTunes credit
4.44%
Save all money, use Twikoff for entertainment
53.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I would have gone out and spent $90+ getting all the things I want to get in terms of entertainment... but alas I am on a budget, and though it sucks, the peace of mind it brings (knowing that we can spend the $700 to fix my wife's car without overdrawing our accounts) is much greater than the material goods spending money brings.

That said I am in a quandry. I have about $18 in cash which I can supplement with some change to get 1 of the 2 DVDs that I want this week. I also have about $27 in change that I can coinstar if I want to. Typically I save up to get iTunes credit (thus negating the coinstar fee).

I also get $5 a day to spend as I please (the $18 counts today's $5).

I also would like to get a new Wii game, though I don't spend as much time playing as I would like. (Acronyms are SSBB: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and GHIII: Guitar Hero III)

How do you vote and why?

Last edited by C-Mart; 03-13-08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 01:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really need money why are you paying Coinstar to convert your coins to cash?

Put the coins in rolls yourself and then you won't need as much entertainment because you'll have spent more time maximizing your money.
Old 03-13-08, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by X
If you really need money why are you paying Coinstar to convert your coins to cash?

Put the coins in rolls yourself and then you won't need as much entertainment because you'll have spent more time maximizing your money.
But as I usually get iTunes credit, there is no fee.
DVD Talk Legend

Just my .02 but are those dvds worth buying? Also since I don't know what the acronyms are, they get left out of the decision.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 03-13-08 at 03:10 PM.
Suspended

If you're at the point where you are considering coinage to get entertainment items, you're over the edge. Take a week off from the DVDs and video games you want to buy and enjoy something you've purchased but have yet to open.
Old 03-13-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X

yeah, that only takes several hours though.
Old 03-13-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're in situations like these, Netflix is for you. Who really needs to own either of those DVDs?

Do stores not take change anymore?

das
Old 03-13-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

rent the movies for $1 at redbox, and fix the car.
Old 03-13-08, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by C-Mart
But as I usually get iTunes credit, there is no fee.
I didn't see iTunes listed as one of the things competing for your available money.

Gotta love it when someone edits their original post to negate what people responded to previously.
Old 03-13-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Get weekend job, use all the money from that for useless DVDs.

Seriously, August Rush?
Old 03-13-08, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
If you're at the point where you are considering coinage to get entertainment items, you're over the edge. Take a week off from the DVDs and video games you want to buy and enjoy something you've purchased but have yet to open.
Not at all. The last DVD I bought was Darjeeling Limited 2 weeks ago. I don't buy a lot of movies these days. Bear in mind that all the money I am talking about is above and beyond what we need to pay bills, etc... The cash is budgeted daily money that we can use for whatever we want, and the change is just my change jar. I like to get it full and then I get roughly $50-$80 worth for iTunes or Amazon or whatever. I wouldn't even need the change to get the 1 DVD except yesterday I bought a couple of snacks.

Unfortunately it is difficult for me to save my daily $ over a weekend, as mine tends to get merged with the weekend money... which I don't typically mind, unless good DVDs are coming out Tuesday. And remember that in the past I would have been getting these things as early as I could on Tuesday - or Wednesday in the case of SSBB and I would already have GHIII - in the past I also would have been severely overdrawn on my bank account by this time of the month, and several bills would have gone unpaid.
Old 03-13-08, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by X
I didn't see iTunes listed as one of the things competing for your available money.

Gotta love it when someone edits their original post to negate what people responded to previously.
It was always in the poll as combined with getting 1 DVD, as the change issue isn't really an issue if I only get 1. My original post was only edited to add the acronyms of the games I want. My post always stated that I typically get iTunes credit for my change, negating the coinstar fee.
Old 03-13-08, 01:39 PM

I do use Netflix and Redbox. I'm still on the fence about Redbox - I got so used to being able to hold a movie as long as I want that the 1 day limit on Redbox is kind of annoying. I used a free code a couple of weeks ago and when I got home we didn't have time to watch the movie. The next available time was a couple of days later, so I took the movie back rather than pay the $2 for holding it the 2 extra days. Oddly enough that was the next movie that Netflix sent me.
Old 03-13-08, 01:45 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by C-Mart
It was always in the poll as combined with getting 1 DVD, as the change issue isn't really an issue if I only get 1. My original post was only edited to add the acronyms of the games I want. My post always stated that I typically get iTunes credit for my change, negating the coinstar fee.
I must have missed that then. But I still don't see iTunes as being one of your pressing wants.
Old 03-13-08, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
rent the movies for $1 at redbox, and fix the car.
The car is covered. Again, all this is above and beyond the money that we "need".
Old 03-13-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait 3 months and buy both for the price of 1, wait 6 months and buy both and have $10 left in your pocket. This guy is counting pennies but buys new release dvd's
Old 03-13-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but then I read how you don't spend that much time playing games as it is. If you're on such a tight budget, play the games you already have and get Netflix.
Old 03-13-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Get Super Smash Bros. Melee (which is like $20). Then rub yourself raw with pennies.
Old 03-13-08, 02:16 PM
mbs

Save the money.

If money is a concern in general, never buy a new release movie (or especially new release video games).
Old 03-13-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say spend all of the money today, and worry about the future tomorrow.

Then we can all sit back and enjoy the threads that are sure to follow.
Old 03-13-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just my 2 cents, but if a $700.00 car repair is going to cause you to deplete your savings, you really need to focus more on your savings.....
Old 03-13-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

where is the option for "14 seconds with Kristen?"
Old 03-13-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're having general money woes things like new DVD's or videogames really shouldn't even be on your radar. Just IMO.
Old 03-13-08, 04:00 PM

Pimp the wife and buy GHIII
Old 03-13-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why buy movies or games the day they come out? Wait a few months and buy them all for 50% less. Are any of those items a must have right now at new release prices?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.