Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Fake Ferrari, star of anti piracy show

Old 03-12-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fake Ferrari, star of anti piracy show

Impressive. But how would one go about selling a fake Ferrari, it's not like you can just open your coat and go "hey, wanna buy a Rolex?". What's next, a fake Space Shuttle?

Fake Ferrari star of piracy show

A fake Ferrari sports car made in Thailand has become the centrepiece of an exhibition in Brussels warning against the dangers of pirated goods.
The Ferrari P4 - of which only three were made, in 1967 - was made in a back street factory in Thailand and is powered by a Subaru engine.

The Authentics Foundation has used the car to warn against the growing tide of counterfeit goods.

It says pirated medicines and food pose a real threat to human health.

"I think this all maybe started with the DVDs and music being pirated and it has just exploded, basically, into something quite different," said model Yasmin Le Bon, an anti-counterfeit campaigner.

European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso gave his support to the campaign.

"It is indeed not only an economic problem; but a public health and a consumer problem," Mr Barroso said.

Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on.

"Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

The foundation said as much as 80% of the pharmaceuticals sold in Nigeria are fake.
Old 03-12-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would buy a fake ferrari - depending on the price. I wouldn't take it on the track - nor would I drive it everyday - so my cost per drive would be lower.

Truth be told - I would buy it for the looks, not performance.
Old 03-12-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I would buy a fake ferrari - depending on the price. I wouldn't take it on the track - nor would I drive it everyday - so my cost per drive would be lower.

oh, that's simply not true. There are plenty of fake Ferrari's that can be easily daily driven as well as tracked and can rival the performance of a Ferrari.

For example, the second generation MR2 can easily be converted with a body kit into a makeshift 355. A motor swap also gives that car major legs.
Old 03-12-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The P4 is both ridiculously beautiful (possibly the best looking Ferrari ever) and completely unattainable, I understand why people would pirate it.
Old 03-12-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

some of the fake medicines coming out of china and being sold in pharmacies, are fakes of such meticulous detail that the pharmaceutical companies that make the authentic medicine couldn't tell the difference...

until there was chemical analysis... and there was some dangerous stuff in those drugs...

this shit is becoming HUGE in the pharmaceutical industry and it's not discussed so it won't cause a panic...

bit it's kind of worth panicking over... it's supposed to be worse in generics where there is no pill shape/color/logo issue to the fake being believable...

it's much worse in the rest of the world... but fakes have been found in small pharmacies in middle America and large pharmacies in big cities in the US... it's just kept out of the news, on purpose...

Harry Lime was doing it way back when...
Old 03-12-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
some of the fake medicines coming out of china and being sold in pharmacies, are fakes of such meticulous detail that the pharmaceutical companies that make the authentic medicine couldn't tell the difference...

until there was chemical analysis... and there was some dangerous stuff in those drugs...

this shit is becoming HUGE in the pharmaceutical industry and it's not discussed so it won't cause a panic...

bit it's kind of worth panicking over... it's supposed to be worse in generics where there is no pill shape/color/logo issue to the fake being believable...

it's much worse in the rest of the world... but fakes have been found in small pharmacies in middle America and large pharmacies in big cities in the US... it's just kept out of the news, on purpose...

Harry Lime was doing it way back when...
No offense, but whenever I read your posts I get horribly depressed and I want to crawl under my bed.
Old 03-12-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
No offense, but whenever I read your posts I get horribly depressed and I want to crawl under my bed.
my plan is working perfectly...

Old 03-12-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm downloading that Ferrari right now! I LOVE piracy!
Old 03-12-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh, that's simply not true. There are plenty of fake Ferrari's that can be easily daily driven as well as tracked and can rival the performance of a Ferrari.

For example, the second generation MR2 can easily be converted with a body kit into a makeshift 355. A motor swap also gives that car major legs.
Bottom line is your ultimately fooling yourself as others who really know their cars are laughing behind your back. I wouldn't be caught dead in a fake Ferrari. Sure, you can do what you suggest but would really want to do that?
Your better off buying a used 911 Turbo and at least that is REAL and is on par with any Ferrari for maybe around $50K. I've seen 400HP 993 turbos from '96 go for that price. 0-60 in 3.5 sec. 13 sec. 1/4 mile. 181 top speed. ---and would probably last a long time. Better than a fake whatever.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-12-08 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 01:26 PM

Whenever I see one of his posts I want to send him money for a new keyboard. He's obviously having a stuck key problem

Last edited by nemein; 03-12-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nemein
Whenever I see one of his posts... I want to send him money for a new keyboard... He's obviously having a stuck key problem... ...
Old 03-12-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While you're at it, stay away from the Prozack.

BTW, what a stupid thing to say about the pirated DVDs and music causing this. Yeah, because fake products just started within the last decade.
Old 03-12-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl

BTW, what a stupid thing to say about the pirated DVDs and music causing this. Yeah, because fake products just started within the last decade.
Well...China did restrict trade for many years
Old 03-12-08, 03:43 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Especially if "Prozack" is written on the pill itself.
Old 03-12-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

I'm sorry, but kit "look-alike" cars are extremely tacky unless it's something that is obviously done for fun and obviously a fake (i.e. a Lambo go-kart).
Old 03-12-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm sorry, but kit "look-alike" cars are extremely tacky unless it's something that is obviously done for fun and obviously a fake (i.e. a Lambo go-kart).
Wait, you're saying my lambo go-kart isn't real? That lying fucker!
Old 03-12-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stephen Colbert had some good advice on how to tell if a Ferrari is real or fake: take a pocket knife and scrape a small amount of paint off the area just behind the hood ornament. If it's a real Ferrari, somebody will kick your ass.
Old 03-12-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"...said model Yasmin Le Bon"

The prosecution rests.
Old 03-12-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I find anyone who drives a Lambo or Ferrari to be driving a tacky car.
Old 03-13-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally I find anyone who drives a Lambo or Ferrari to be driving a tacky car.

Old 03-13-08, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not everyone agrees with you. There are tons of AC Cobra replicas out there.
Old 03-13-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You would feel differently if you drove one. I agree about Lambos,though. Their pretty shitty and I guess if you like others looking at you; it is tacky. But try getting behind a wheel of a F430. It's the closest thing to a freakin' Formula 1 car. The engine sound alone is awesome.

I don't understand why you feel their tacky but are okay with a fake that can possibly be made to perform better than the real thing.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-14-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
You would feel differently if you drove one. I agree about Lambos,though. Their pretty shitty and I guess if you like others looking at you; it is tacky. But try getting behind a wheel of a F430. It's the closest thing to a freakin' Formula 1 car. The engine sound alone is awesome.
most guys who drive race cars disagree with you...

they find the Lamborghini to be more of a true race car...

i've driven both and i find the Lamborghini to be more of a pure performance car...

but there is a mystique, a certain 'i don't know what', as the french say , about a Ferrari... they are wonderful cars... so much history and tradition...

in fact the reason there is a Lamborghini at all is: the man who founded the company finally got rich enough to buy a Ferrari, and was disappointed in it... so he started 'The Bull' literally to have a car that men who achieved their dreams could buy and be totally satisfied with...

Old 03-14-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
most guys who drive race cars disagree with you...

they find the Lamborghini to be more of a true race car...

i've driven both and i find the Lamborghini to be more of a pure performance car...
So, putting aside all their race wins their second best to Lamborghini? Yeah right. I think Michael Schumacher would really disagree with "most guys who drive race cars disagree with you...they find the Lamborghini to be more of a true race car....".

I've also driven both. Specifically an F430 and a Gallardo. I prefer the F430 but the Gallardo is not bad since they have VW funds to fix their shoddy past workmanship.

BTW, I prefer Porsches over both of them. The 911 alone in it's 40+ years has won more races than all car companies combined.