Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hot off the Presses! Seven New Sins

Old 03-11-08, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Hot off the Presses! Seven New Sins

The Vatican Updates its "Thou Shalt Not" List

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

By Richard Owen

ROME — Drug pushers, the obscenely rich, environmental polluters and “manipulative” genetic scientists beware — you may be in danger of losing your mortal soul unless you repent.

After 1,500 years the Vatican has brought the seven deadly sins up to date by adding seven new ones for the age of globalization. The list, published yesterday in L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, came as the Pope deplored the “decreasing sense of sin” in today’s “secularized world” and the falling numbers of Roman Catholics going to confession.

The new deadly sins include polluting, genetic engineering, being obscenely rich, drug dealing, abortion, pedophilia and causing social injustice.

The Catholic Church divides sins into venial, or less serious, sins and mortal sins, which threaten the soul with eternal damnation unless absolved before death through confession and penitence.

It holds mortal sins to be “grave violations of the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes,” including murder, contraception, abortion, perjury, adultery and lust.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that “immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into Hell.”

Although there is no definitive list of mortal sins, many believers accept the broad seven deadly sins or capital vices laid down in the 6th century by Pope Gregory the Great and popularized in the Middle Ages by Dante in "The Inferno": lust, gluttony, avarice, sloth, anger, envy and pride.

Christians are exhorted instead to adhere to the seven holy virtues: chastity, abstinence, temperance, diligence, patience, kindness and humility.

Bishop Gianfranco Girotti, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican body which oversees confessions and plenary indulgences, said after a week-long Lenten seminar for priests that surveys showed 60 percent of Catholics in Italy no longer went to confession.

He said that priests must take account of “new sins which have appeared on the horizon of humanity as a corollary of the unstoppable process of globalization.” Whereas sin in the past was thought of as being an individual matter, it now has “social resonance.”

“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbor’s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos,” he said.

Bishop Girotti said that mortal sins also included taking or dealing in drugs, and social injustice which caused poverty or “the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few.”

He said that two mortal sins which continued to preoccupy the Vatican were abortion, which offended “the dignity and rights of women,” and pedophilia, which had even infected the clergy itself and so had exposed the “human and institutional fragility of the Church.”

The mass media had “blown up” the issue “to discredit the Church,” but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it, according to Girotti.

Addressing the Apostolic Penitentiary seminar, the Pope said there was “a certain disaffection” with confession among the faithful. Priests had to show “divine tenderness for penitent sinners” and admit their own failings.

“Those who trust in themselves and in their own merits are, as it were, blinded by their own ‘I’, and their hearts harden in sin. Those who recognize themselves as weak and sinful entrust themselves to God, and from Him obtain grace and forgiveness.”

The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularized West were “making do without God.”

He said that hedonism and consumerism had even invaded “the bosom of the Church itself, deeply undermining the Christian faith from within, and undermining the lifestyle and daily behavior of believers.”

Eastern Catholics do not recognize the same distinction between mortal and venial sins as the Western or Latin Church does, nor do they believe that those people who die in a state of sin are condemned to automatic damnation.

The original offenses and their punishments:
Pride Broken on the wheel
Envy Put in freezing water
Gluttony Forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Lust Smothered in fire and brimstone
Anger Dismembered alive
Greed Put in cauldrons of boiling oil
SlothThrown in snake pits

=======================================================
Pollution? So I guess catholic's can't drive cars anymore.
-Or have sex with alter boys.

I wonder if the new list is retroactive?
Old 03-11-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait wait wait... I finally get the first 7 down pat and now I got 7 more? Jesus Christ....
Old 03-11-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Catholic church has continued to amaze me with the depths it will go to control people.

I graduated from a Catholic High School and had my fill of absurd practices and outdated ideas. I hated them then and I cannot believe they are going to these depths today.

I'm Lutheran...practicing...and the Catholic Church disgusts me.

BTW...their beliefs on birth control are really working...!!!
Old 03-11-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This list came out a couple of days ago. Old news.
Old 03-11-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, the all knowing God has had to issue an update ??? Or humans just making up more mumbo jumbo ??

And don't some of those new ones fall under the old stuff ?? Obscenely rich = Greed, Pedophilia = Lust, Probably put Genetic Engineering under Pride.

Pretty soon Bible V5.0 should be out with embedded video..
Old 03-11-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Catholic church says you shouldn't be obscenely rich. WTF.

Some of the new 7 are going to tough to achieve. So far I've only got throwing garbage on the street and adding chromosomes to marsupials.
Old 03-11-08, 11:47 PM
Suspended

isn't the Catholic church obscenely rich?
Old 03-12-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Wait wait wait... I finally get the first 7 down pat and now I got 7 more? Jesus Christ....
Beat me to that.. I figure since God is all-forgiving.. what the hell.
Old 03-12-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JarJar Fett
The new deadly sins include polluting, genetic engineering, being obscenely rich, drug dealing, abortion, pedophilia and causing social injustice.
Wow, being successful is on par with being a fuckin' pederast
Old 03-12-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

cool. more stuff to laugh at.
Old 03-12-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Glad I'm not Catholic.
Old 03-12-08, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
isn't the Catholic church obscenely rich?

That was the first thing that came to mind too...
Old 03-12-08, 07:13 AM
Cool New Member

Oh, wait. It was just an Archbishop talking about confession in modern terms, not the Pope infallibly speaking about doctrine...

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=57130

Guess you guys can call off that witch hunt.
Old 03-12-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So wait, are there 14 now, or are we allowed to do the original 7?? Because if so, Brad Pitt is going to be really pissed!
Old 03-12-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And the Vatican and all the church properties around the world are not polluting? How about the church and its vast amount of wealth?
Old 03-12-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
So wait, are there 14 now, or are we allowed to do the original 7?? Because if so, Brad Pitt is going to be really pissed!
This is all part of the viral marketing scheme for the upcoming sequel.
Old 03-12-08, 09:12 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But think of what it can do for his career.

Now they can go back and do a sequel or remake of Se7ven and call it Four14teen.

Old 03-12-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Four14een, Fast3r and Furiou5er?

I got nuthin'.
Old 03-12-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Being thrown into a pit full of snakes is a GREAT cure for Sloth!
Old 03-12-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's that "no touching little boys" sin?
Old 03-12-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
Where's that "no touching little boys" sin?

It could fall under pedophilia, or maybe gluttony if you didn't share.
Old 03-12-08, 10:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

The Pope seems determined to bring down the Umbrella Corporation once and for all.