Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tragic accident or natural selection?

Old 03-10-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Tragic accident or natural selection?

http://www.katu.com/news/16456931.html

EVERETT, Wash. - A 10-year-old Everett area boy was listed in critical condition at Children's Hospital in Seattle after being buried in a sandbox by his playmates over the weekend.

The boy has been identified by his family as Cody Porter.

His half-brother, 30-year-old Joshua Quantrille, said Cody was playing with Quantrille's three sons and several other children on Saturday in the backyard of a home belonging to a family friend, in the 13800 block of 59th Ave. SE in unincorporated Everett.

There is a sandbox in the backyard, and Quantrille said his children told him Cody came up with the idea that they should bury him head first in the foot-deep sandbox.

Quantrille said the children came up with the idea from the 'Naruto' cartoon they watch on television.

Cody was buried about from his head to his chest. At some point, he began thrashing around, but the children apparently thought he was playing.

Eventually they figured out that something was wrong.
They pulled Cody out and called the adults inside the home, who administered CPR until medics arrived.

Cody was first taken to an Everett hospital and later transferred to Children's Hospital.

Snohomish County Sheriff's deputies interviewed the five children who were in the sandbox with Cody.

The sheriff's office has called it a tragic accident.

I'd say when you're ten years old and don't realize that burying your head is a bad idea, your chances of success in life aren't too bright.
Old 03-10-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

I'd say when you're ten years old and don't realize that burying your head is a bad idea, your chances of success in life aren't too bright.
Definately a Darwin award
Old 03-10-08, 07:47 PM

I dunno, I may be calling myself out here....but I can think of plenty of stupid things I did as a kid that could have killed me.
Whoopsie.
Old 03-10-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Conservatives have been known to survive for years with their heads deeply buried in the sand.

Last edited by eXcentris; 03-10-08 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea, this kid does not sound like he has it together, but also, all his friends sound like idiots too. None of them seemed to think it was a bad thing.
Old 03-10-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.katu.com/news/16456931.html

EVERETT, Wash. - A 10-year-old Everett area boy was listed in critical condition at Children's Hospital in Seattle after being buried in a sandbox by his playmates over the weekend.
Everett boy buried in sandbox dies...
Old 03-10-08, 08:12 PM

That's what the kids are saying...that may not be the way it happened. Hopefully Cody will be able to tell his story.
Old 03-10-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Hopefully Cody will be able to tell his story.
How?
Old 03-10-08, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
That's what the kids are saying...that may not be the way it happened. Hopefully Cody will be able to tell his story.
Old 03-10-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a horrible, tragic thing to happen to all of the kids involved.
Old 03-10-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to know what kind of sand would keep a boy down so well. Sandbox sand is a little dense, but that dense?

We all watched superhero cartoons, and Warner Brother cartoons, when we were growing up, but never tried to actually do the things we saw those characters do.

We played at superheroes, sure, but there is a difference between running around with a towel around your neck for a cape, making swooshing noises, and trying to stop a train. We knew better. Someone may have wound up injured by the towel/cape, or from horsing around, but not from thinking they really could do the things they saw in cartoons.
Old 03-10-08, 08:33 PM

That post about him dieing was at the same time as mine, I thought he was still in critical condition.
Old 03-10-08, 08:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Conservatives have been known to survive for years with their heads deeply buried in the sand.
mod note - Please remember this thread is not in the Political Forum...yet. Thanks.
Old 03-10-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you really think a ten year old who's watching cartoons and playing in the sand is going to stop and think, "Hey wait a second, maybe I could suffocate?" A ten year old would probably understand that with being underwater, but I don't think he'd necessarily understand that when it comes to being buried in a sandbox. A (one foot deep) sandbox would appear to be a harmless place to play for a kid. Should his past experience have told him anything different?
Old 03-10-08, 09:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Bus
How?
You've seen Spiderman 3. Do tha mathz, bro.
Old 03-10-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember being ten years old. I'm pretty sure that, if I hadn't worried about suffocating, I would have worried about getting sand in my teeth.

I suspect it wasn't really "trying to get sand magic", but just horsing around. I still wonder why he couldn't get his head out by himself.
Old 03-10-08, 09:14 PM

Tragic accident. In the TV news story I saw, they said the 10 year-old was the oldest of the bunch. I hope the other kids get good psychological help; they're gonna need it.

He may have been choking and panicky, which would have affected his ability to extricate himself.
Old 03-10-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Natural Selection. 10 Years old is old enough to know this isn't a good idea. I mean he's only 5 years away from being old enough for a drivers permit.
Old 03-10-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the better question is wtf is a 10 yr old doing in a sandbox? Give the kid a damn baseball bat or a football. Freaking Washington hippies.
Old 03-10-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
Natural Selection. 10 Years old is old enough to know this isn't a good idea. I mean he's only 5 years away from being old enough for a drivers permit.
And a twelve year old in sixth grade is only five years away from being able to enlist in the Army. Five years represents a very long time (and an incredible amount of maturity) when you're that young.
Old 03-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see how anyone can call it a traffic accident. It happened in a sandbox, not the road.
Old 03-10-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

natural selection, definitely

This one and those who play that "choking game" (among others) are all apart of the natural selection to remove the future psychopaths, get them now before they take out others later.

I don't see how anyone can call it a traffic accident. It happened in a sandbox, not the road
The only "traffic" word I pull up with my "ctrl-f" is that one right there .... the other "t" word you might have pulled that from is "tragic"
Old 03-10-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: He's dead.
Old 03-10-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Update: He's dead.
Again?
Old 03-10-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any updates on his condition?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.