Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Osgood-Schlatters disease - Anyone else have it?

Old 03-10-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Osgood-Schlatters disease - Anyone else have it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood-Schlatter_disease

Osgood-Schlatter disease (also known as tibial tubercle traumatic apophysitis or Louise's knees disease) is an inflammation of the growth plate at the tibial tuberosity. It is one of a group of conditions called Osteochondritis.

The disease is most common in active boys and girls aged 10-15. It most commonly occurs in just one leg but can occur in both at the same time. It is named after the American surgeon Robert Bayley Osgood (1873–1956) and the Swiss surgeon Carl Schlatter (1864–1934), the two people who first described it.[1][2] It usually self resolves.
I've had this condition in my left knee for years without trouble, but the last couple of months my knee has been having sharp pains, right on the lump caused by the OS. I've got a doctor's appointment on Thursday, but was curious if anyone else here has experienced this and how you were treated.
Old 03-10-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I had you pegged a little older than that.....
Old 03-10-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had it back when I was in 7th grade, which would have been around 1980, and all I remember was I couldn't take gym for the whole school year. My mom kept telling me if I ran I would have to wear a leg brace but I still ran around during lunch hour.
Old 03-10-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My daughter had it when she was about 12. She was a dancer,and it really impeded her technique with dance. She had to take Tylenol, but she eventually outgrew it. Nothing was really suggested to us except it it hurts to do that, dont do it.
Old 03-10-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Man, I had you pegged a little older than that.....
I'm 27 and this is the first time in my life it's ever bothered me.
Old 03-10-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was diagnosed with it when I was somewhere between 8-11 I think....but other than a year or two, I don't think it's been an issue. I have knee pains now, but I don't think it's related to that.
Old 03-10-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had it when I was growing up. When I was a teenager my left knee would kill me after playing football or baseball. I'd have to ice it for quite a while after.

I'm 27 now and it no longer bothers me but I do have a large bump right below my left knee cap and if I hit it just right It'll hurt to the point of tears.

I've always heard it was hereditary; my brother had it when he was in his teens and my dad had it when he was a teenager. My Dad's was so bad he actually had to wear a cast on his leg for some time. Luckily, mine wasn't that severe.

BTW, the name of this disease is so jacked up whenever I tell people what it's called they think I made it up.
Old 03-10-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my brother and I both had it....bothered me a lot in 7th-8th grade, but by 18 it was completely done causing pain. still have the bumps on my knees though.
Old 03-11-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sure you have something else than that. unless you're still growing. might be the ligament inside, outside or surrounding the knee.
Old 03-11-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mole177
I'm sure you have something else than that. unless you're still growing. might be the ligament inside, outside or surrounding the knee.
I was diaganosed with OS at about 14. I suppose it could be something else, but th knee feels exactly the same as it always has, save for the pain.
Old 03-11-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I had it. Sucked. All better now pain-wise but I still have the big visible bump.
Old 03-11-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's nickname is growing pains... hence my reasoning why it is something else. as others have had it, everyone had it during the period of growth.
Old 03-11-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had it. It went away, then led to other problems in my 20s, which led to surgery (to realign my knee).
Old 03-11-08, 10:45 PM

I had it growing up as well -- largely impacted me when I played basketball -- had to tie an elastic band around my knee which allayed the discomfort.
Old 03-11-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hubby had it in both legs as a teenager. He stopped taking PE for a couple years and did not play sports in the summer and it went away. He still has a bump on just one leg.
Old 03-13-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I went to the doc and she took a look at it and told me to take Aleve for two weeks and come back for an x-ray if it's not better.