Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

You can't buy forever stamps in rolls?

Old 03-10-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

You can't buy forever stamps in rolls?

Man, this is stupid. We use a fair amount of stamps, so we buy them in rolls because they are easier to dispense. Being that the rate is going up in May, I decided to buy the new "Forever" stamp so I don't get stuck buying a bunch of $.01 stamps in May. But you cannot buy forever stamps in 100 rolls. They don't even make them. You can only buy them in booklets of 20.

Why not simply quit making denominational 1st class postage and only make the forever stamp? Or why not have the forever stamp in rolls? I fail to see the logic behind this.
Old 03-10-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Forever Stamp For You!
By AnotherExJSer on May 12, 2007 in General

I went to the post office Friday afternoon to buy a roll of stamps, as rates go up Monday. I had decided to buy the new “Forever Stamp,” because I couldn’t think of a reason not to. Well, the U.S. Postal Service, in its infinite wisdom, has a reason not to:

“The Forever Stamp is available only in a sheet. It will never be available in a roll.” Huh! Why not? Perhaps because people might want to buy it in a roll?

I’m not one of those “the government can’t do anything right” people. But I’m starting to wonder. Why can’t they make a dollar coin that doesn’t look like a quarter? (Hint: Make it out of red, anodized aluminum and put a hole in the middle.) Why can’t they come up with a Web address you can remember?
http://peoriapundit.com/blogpeoria/2...stamp-for-you/

kvrdave travelled back in time and to Peoria, IL to post this for us but we did not listen to him. Shame on us...
Old 03-10-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Not to worry, I sent them a strongly worded email. We'll see them any day, no doubt.
Old 03-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The post office also charges shipping on stamps you buy through the mail.
Old 03-10-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mmconhea
The post office also charges shipping on stamps you buy through the mail.
You have to use money to buy money from the US Mint.
Old 03-10-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I recently bought 100 forever stamps. On average I use about 1 stamp a month. This is why forever stamps are good for me.. should be about 100 months or 8 years until I need more stamps. With more and more things going electronic I am hoping it will be even longer than that.

I decided I liked them being split up into books of 20. I took each book and put it in a plastic bag all its own and numbered the bags 1 through 5. In bag #1 I wrote a note about everything current going on in our lives and the world and I will do so with the next bags as I get to them approximately 20 months apart and have a cool little time capsule project going on.

With a roll this wouldn't have been quite as easy. Now, haven't I made it seem not all so bad?
Old 03-10-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forever stamps. For a limited time only.
Old 03-10-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I fail to see the logic behind this.
Only a naive man expects "logic" and "government activity" to go together.
Old 03-10-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by General Zod
I recently bought 100 forever stamps. On average I use about 1 stamp a month. This is why forever stamps are good for me.. should be about 100 months or 8 years until I need more stamps. With more and more things going electronic I am hoping it will be even longer than that.
You're losing money:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/100539.html

Dear Consumer Action:

Do you think the U.S. Postal Service will stand by its commitment to the 41-cent "forever" stamp?

Do you think it would be advisable to invest in 50 to 100 books of these stamps? - K.R., Egg Harbor Township

There is no doubt that the U.S. Postal Service will honor the stamps. They must, under the federal law that created them.

But they really aren't a good investment vehicle. The cost of stamps has historically risen slower than the rate of inflation. And the law that created them also prevents the cost of stamps from rising faster than the rate of inflation in the future.

If you buy forever stamps and hold onto them for years without using them, you are in effect loaning money to the Postal Service, and your rate of return will never beat the rate of inflation. It would make more sense to invest that money in a higher-yielding account and buy stamps at their current rate as you use them.

The real value of the forever stamp is in its convenience. If you buy them rather than regular stamps, you never have to buy the one-cent or two-cent stamps necessary when the price increases. There's something to be said for that.
Of course, your $41.00 "investment" probably won't break you.
Old 03-10-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would buy a roll for the simple convenience of not having to drive to the post office for more.

The only thing I mail anymore, though, are cards and thank you letters. Everything else is online.
Old 03-10-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, this is stupid. We use a fair amount of stamps, so we buy them in rolls because they are easier to dispense. Being that the rate is going up in May, I decided to buy the new "Forever" stamp so I don't get stuck buying a bunch of $.01 stamps in May. But you cannot buy forever stamps in 100 rolls. They don't even make them. You can only buy them in booklets of 20.

Why not simply quit making denominational 1st class postage and only make the forever stamp? Or why not have the forever stamp in rolls? I fail to see the logic behind this.
I made the same discovery today. My guess is to discourage businesses who tend to be heavier mailers than individuals. I buy 500 stamps at a time which lasts three months. That's only five rolls which are easy to store and use. There is no way in hell I'm buy that many stamps in sheets or booklets. The post office knows this and thus only offers forever stamps in sheets/booklets. They know I will forgo the forever stamp for the convience of the roll. I bet there is a study that shows a greater percentage of stamps in a roll get used verses sheets/booklets.
Old 03-11-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw both booklets and rolls of forever stamps at Sam's Club yesterday.
Old 03-11-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by neale
I saw both booklets and rolls of forever stamps at Sam's Club yesterday.
El Toro Poopo!

I don't believe it. The rolls do not exist.
Old 03-11-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

El Toro Poopo!
That's "caca del toro," you gringo.