Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you put your shopping carts in the shopping cart thing?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you put the cart away?
Yes, always
59.68%
Usually, unless the weather is bad or I'm in a hurry
21.51%
Only if I'm near the cart thing
15.05%
Never, I'm lazy or just do not care
1.08%
Never, it should be up to the store employees to put carts away
1.08%
Other
1.61%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Do you put your shopping carts in the shopping cart thing?

Old 03-09-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
In France their chained together and the only way to get one is to put a coin in a slot to disconnect. You get your coin back once you return it to the stall and reconnect with the cart in front. They tested it at several places in the States but it didn't do to well.

I always return the cart just to make sure it doesn't roll away and hit other cars.
There's a local grocery chain called Aldi here that specializes in off-brand items at low prices. They use the method you described.
Old 03-10-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I always do. My girlfriend, who works at walmart and has to grab carts occasionally, sometimes doesn't. When she's with me, and pulls this stunt, I patiently wait until she has put the cart away before starting the car.
Old 03-10-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 393 Likes on 178 Posts
I either put them in the cart corral, put them inside or on the sidewalk with the rest of them. Or, if the cart guy is out I'll hand it off to him to put on the train.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 03-10-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys
Can't you take him with you to the cart thing?
Depends. Freezing? Raining? Sleeping? 105 degrees? No. I try to avoid the issue by parking next to the cart return.
Old 03-10-08, 07:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner
If I'm alone then yes. I have my 3 year old son with me usually, though, and sometimes I'll leave it out, because there is no way I'm leaving my son in the car while I return the cart.
I'm sorry, but people use their young children as an excuse for way too many things.

You need to adjust if you have the kids with you. Either park next to a cart return (even if it means walking an extra 20+ yards), take the kid(s) with you as you return it, leave the cart at the curb and drive up to get your groceries, something other than being rude.
Old 03-10-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes I always do.

One of my pet peeves is the person that goes to Home Depot to get something to work on their home. Then they are too lazy to put the cart back and leave it in a parking space.
Old 03-10-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. But I put my shopping basket on the check-out conveyer, so it all evens out.
Old 03-10-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts
99% of the time.
Old 03-10-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much all the time.

It annoys me when people just park the cart next to their car, even if the cart aisle is literally just feet away. Its like..you can take 7 steps, and stick the cart back in the aisle, but no, we're just going to leave it in the car stall.
Old 03-10-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
I was just dealing with this at Costco the other day. Spots there are so rare when it's busy, and when I finally find one, look what's inside, a fucking cart. I can't stand people who do this. I never leave my cart anywhere but in the corral.

And the people say they won't leave their kids in the car boggle me. Is someone going to steal a kid in 15 seconds?
Old 03-10-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

And the people say they won't leave their kids in the car boggle me. Is someone going to steal a kid in 15 seconds?

The Windows might be up and they might die of heat exhaustion.
Old 03-10-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to be one of the assholes here, but I only put my cart back when I'm near one of the corrals. Otherwise, I'll pop a wheelie with it and set two wheels up on the curb so it doesn't roll away and hit another vehicle.

I do this for "job security", If everyone put their cart away, then it will lead for less work for the employees, and possibly less hours per week if they're seen standing around with nothing to do.
Old 03-10-08, 08:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Before some parent answers that yes, it can happen in less than 15 seconds, I want to tell them to don't try to use that as an excuse.

Lock the f-ing doors, keep your eye on the car the few seconds it takes to walk to the return cart aisle, and do the right thing.

I don't care if it is pouring rain and you have 6 kids in the car, leaving the cart in the parking lot is a big time jerk move.
Old 03-10-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
I put the cart in the corral; if there is no corral then I will take the cart up to the store front or inside.
Old 03-10-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes.
Old 03-10-08, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Always. Plus I usually try to park near one to make it easier to drop off.
Absolutely. I figure putting the cart back is my contribution to good karma, since if everyone left the carts floating around, eventually everyone's car would get damaged.

I also put other carts away if they're near my car and loose.

Last edited by Vibiana; 03-10-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
There's a local grocery chain called Aldi here that specializes in off-brand items at low prices. They use the method you described.
Aldi is actually international.
Old 03-10-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Always. Plus I usually try to park near one to make it easier to drop off.

That seems like a sound idea. However, I have seen it when a person was too lazy to actually push the cart all the way to the corral, so the give it a huge shove and the cart veered off and down the side of a car parked next to the rack.
Old 03-10-08, 11:20 AM

I pretty much always do but I checked the second option because the other night I was at Trader Joe's at closing time. It was freezing cold and they do not have a cart corral and I was unfortunately parked far from the store. I would normally walk it back up to the store but since it was closing time and there were already many carts in the lot that needed collecting, I just took my cart and nested it inside another cart that was already there so it would be easier to collect. This was a rare occurrence though because I probably put my cart back 99% of the time.

I am often at Costco when it closes and after I load up my car I usually see the guy out in the parking lot collecting the carts and I will walk my cart over to him rather than leave it in the corral. I always get a big thank you for doing that.
Old 03-10-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't always, and I'll tell you why: people at the grocery store drive like maniacs in the parking lot, and if I'm in danger of being hit by a car, I'm not trekking all over the place trying to find a cart return.

It isn't always possible to park next to the returns, either. There are two at the store where I go, and they are both next to the pregnant/kids parking. If I have to park far away from the store/cart return, there's no way I'm pushing that cart around a dangerous lot. It's bad enough I have to push it around to load up my car. Don't get me started on Target/Walmart shoppers. They're worse than grocery store shoppers.

On the other hand, if I see a cart sitting there when I arrive, I'll grab it and use it.

I don't leave carts in the middle of the lot. I'll usually park them on an island.

Yeah, I'm an asshole. Deal with it.
Old 03-10-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't want the cart to hit someone's car, so I put it away, either in the cart thing or back at the store if that's more convenient.
Old 03-10-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm sorry, but people use their young children as an excuse for way too many things.

You need to adjust if you have the kids with you. Either park next to a cart return (even if it means walking an extra 20+ yards), take the kid(s) with you as you return it, leave the cart at the curb and drive up to get your groceries, something other than being rude.
wow! wow! wow! I guess you don't have kids. If you think that putting the cart back so someone who doesn't know how to drive can park more easily it's more important than taking good care of your kids then you obviously don't have kids.

By the way, I always try to put the cart back.
Old 03-10-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
In France their chained together and the only way to get one is to put a coin in a slot to disconnect. You get your coin back once you return it to the stall and reconnect with the cart in front. They tested it at several places in the States but it didn't do to well.

I always return the cart just to make sure it doesn't roll away and hit other cars.
A lot of supermarkets around here had the coin slot, but they didn't last.

I always bring my cart back, I would be embarassed to just leave it in the middle of the lot.
Old 03-10-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 319 Likes on 227 Posts
We never had the coin slot thing around here but it sure sounds like it would attract a lot of homeless people.
Old 03-10-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
people at the grocery store drive like maniacs in the parking lot
Where do you shop the Daytona International Speedway?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.