Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Get to know your drinking water

Old 03-09-08, 12:56 PM
  #1  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,683
Get to know your drinking water

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8VA1GG80.html

A vast array of pharmaceuticals - including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones - have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

TGM is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 01:21 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,799
Somehow I don't think the sex hormone in San Francisco's water is going to trouble anyone.

There are also a lot of vitamins in our water, for the same reason. People take more than they can absorb, and it winds up in the waste water.

However, I would be more concerned by the things that are found in more than traces.

Arsenic, cyanide, and heavy metals, for instance.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 01:27 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
i have been using high quality filtration units for around 15 years...

i see it just keeps getting better...

arsenic in ABQ water?... lol... you mean water in the Arsenic...
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 01:39 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
I wasn't aware that New York's population increased by 1 million since last night.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 01:51 PM
  #5  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,731
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Somehow I don't think the sex hormone in San Francisco's water is going to trouble anyone.
I'm surprised anything recycled would be found in S.F.'s water as it comes primarily from reservoirs, not treated sewage.
X is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 02:01 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by X
I'm surprised anything recycled would be found in S.F.'s water as it comes primarily from reservoirs, not treated sewage.

Reservoir water isn't necessarily any cleaner than water from other sources. In Connecticut our town's drinking water came from reservoirs and was always chlorinated because any open body of water is at risk of contamination. On Cape Cod, the drinking water is pumped groundwater stored in standpipes and rarely needs to be treated with chlorine.
foggy is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 02:04 PM
  #7  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,731
Originally Posted by foggy
Reservoir water isn't necessarily any cleaner than water from other sources. In Connecticut our town's drinking water came from reservoirs and was always chlorinated because any open body of water is at risk of contamination. On Cape Cod, the drinking water is pumped groundwater stored in standpipes and rarely needs to be treated with chlorine.
Contaminated with sex hormones? Where would they come from?
X is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 02:07 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
The dead bodies of tranny mobster informants?
Shazam is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 02:50 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by X
Contaminated with sex hormones? Where would they come from?
It may be estrogen from birth control pills, or other sources.
foggy is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 03:30 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,451
"We recognize it is a growing concern and we're taking it very seriously," said Benjamin H. Grumbles, assistant administrator for water at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll get right on that.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 03:34 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,799
Proof that no one learned anything from DDT.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 04:07 PM
  #12  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,731
Originally Posted by foggy
It may be estrogen from birth control pills, or other sources.
Somebody's dumping birth control pills in the reservoirs?
X is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 04:07 PM
  #13  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,731
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Proof that no one learned anything from DDT.
You mean how to decimate populations of humans by diseases that were almost eradicated through the use of DDT?

http://hill6.thehill.com/op-eds/usai...005-11-02.html
X is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 04:10 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,435
My precious bodily fluids!!!

I blame the Commies.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 04:26 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,759
not really having to do with drinking water, but there is an interesting article about water treatment plants in the last issue of popular science magazine. they can determine what % of the population uses illegal drugs.
Deftones is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 04:58 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
And people complain there is not and standardized health care!
jonw9 is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 05:23 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,451
Originally Posted by Deftones
not really having to do with drinking water, but there is an interesting article about water treatment plants in the last issue of popular science magazine. they can determine what % of the population uses illegal drugs.
More specifically, they can even narrow down which drugs are used in particular geographic and socio-economic areas.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 06:02 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I wasn't aware that New York's population increased by 1 million since last night.
Well, I was in town. I don't remember bringing an entourage of 999,999 though.
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 07:34 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D8VA1GG80.html

A vast array of pharmaceuticals - including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones - have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

But the very next paragraph says:
To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.
That's parts per billion, or even trillion. That's beyond microscopic. A far greater concern is the lead and copper from old pipes, or fecal coliform in well water.
NCMojo is offline  
Old 03-09-08, 08:14 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,799
Originally Posted by X
You mean how to decimate populations of humans by diseases that were almost eradicated through the use of DDT?

http://hill6.thehill.com/op-eds/usai...005-11-02.html
No, I mean that you can't just wantonly use gobs of something without expecting it to show up in the environment. The problem was not the use of DDT, but the over use of it.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 07:13 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by NCMojo
But the very next paragraph says:

That's parts per billion, or even trillion. That's beyond microscopic. A far greater concern is the lead and copper from old pipes, or fecal coliform in well water.
but no one knows if there any effects of taking these combinations of chemicals over decades
al_bundy is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 08:12 AM
  #22  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,178
Caught this story on last night's local news -- trace amounts of caffeine found in my area.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:17 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,799
I want the same tests run on fresh water found in lakes, rivers and springs.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:25 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Macon, Ga
Posts: 1,565
oh i have a suggestion for what they need to add next:

trace amounts of weight loss pills

If we don't want to help ourselves, do it for us!

*those antibiotics must be in the water around here, i haven't been sick in months.
Sorraffy is offline  
Old 03-10-08, 04:58 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Originally Posted by al_bundy
but no one knows if there any effects of taking these combinations of chemicals over decades
Yes, having a trillionth of something can add up.
The Bus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.