Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Will the dollar keep dying against the euro?

Old 03-09-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will the dollar keep dying against the euro?

I don't much about economics, so I thought maybe someone here could shed some light on it for me. I have a payment of about 1400 euros to make either now or in May (for a trip). Would it be smarter to just pay it off now, or take my chances and wait until May? Is there any way to really know how bad it's going to get?
Old 03-09-08, 12:30 PM

I always figured that once this administration leaves and the new one takes over, the US dollar will begin to recover a little bit. It seems like the Bush administration wants a weaker dollar. But like you I am not into the money crap either, so it is just an uneducated guess.
Old 03-09-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'd buy now if it were me...

our banking and core economic problems are getting worse not better... and will be that way for a good while... may be up to 2 years before we see how bad things will actually get...
Old 03-09-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The US economy was being driven by homebuilding for the past few years. That was based on cheap loans. Until the resulting debt problems get sorted out, our economy is going to be hurting. It's going to take more than a year.

Nevertheless, anyone who tells you what's going to happen is just making stuff up. It took a couple of years to recover from Hurricane Katrina, and no one predicted that.
Old 03-09-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I pay more attention to stocks but from what I've read about the dollar exchange I'm inclined to agree with Dr Mabuse.
Old 03-09-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do it now. The Fed will further reduce interest rates in March, so the US dollar will just keep depreciating against gold and other currencies.
Old 03-09-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Do it now. The Fed will further reduce interest rates in March, so the US dollar will just keep depreciating against gold and other currencies.
Agreed and rates will likely stay at these lower levels so long at the credit and housing markets are depressed.
Old 03-09-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be like Dane Cook - Invest in Ketchup packets!
Old 03-09-08, 04:03 PM

There's been a pretty good thread about the economy in the Political Forum, here's the current version http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525874 Please continue this discussion there.