Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Any been to Montreal and Quebec City?

Old 03-09-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any been to Montreal and Quebec City?

Anyone here ever been to Montreal and Quebec City? My wife and I are planning a road trip up to these cities in May (with 2 nights in Montreal and 3 in Quebec) and are looking for some suggestions. For example:

What area of these cities should we stay in that would provide easy access to good dining, sites, museums, etc.

Is getting around these cities without a car easy? (my wife will be 5 months pregnant at this time)

We generally like seeing historic sites, musems and we enjoy eating out to give an understanding of what types of things we like to do while checking out a city.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 03-09-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been to both, and from the sounds of it you will enjoy Quebec City much more as it provides more of what you listed.

Getting around Montreal is not to challenging with a car, especially if you are from Mass they pretty much drive like folks in Boston. Montreal has a lot of one way streets so that can be a bit odd, but you get used to it. Montreal also has a subway that is wicked easy and insanely clean.

I always stay at either the Sheraton or the Hyatt Regency which I can usually nab through priceline for about $70 a night (sometimes less) both hotels are 5 Star and I seemingly always get one of them. Most of the hotels are central to everything so long as you get one downtown.

Depending on when you go in May, make sure you hit up the botanical gardens they are gorgeous, and don't miss the biodome which is pretty cool.

Been years since I have been to Quebec City, but it's not huge and you should be fine just about anywhere. Can't recall the driving situation there.
Old 03-09-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In Montreal you might as well just take the subway around town, it is much simpler when visiting. I haven't been there in 8 years though so I won't comment on much.

For Quebec, if you want to be in the middle of everything, book a hotel in the Vieux Quebec, it is where all tourists go. I know last summer I went for a few days and outside of the Vieux Quebec (meaning having to drive), we visited the aquarium, les Chute Montmorency and went off to see Saint-Anne de Beaupre.

We had stayed outside of downtown as our plans were iffy (breaking up will do that...) so I had to book a hotel at the last minute which if you plan on driving was a very good deal. The hotel we stayed at was the Hotel Ambassadeur in Beauport. If you can get a renovated room it is a nice place to stay but their older rooms are typical fare. I know 'Hotel Vieux Quebec' http://www.hvq.com/ in downtown Vieux Quebec is rated extremely well online, even better than most 5 star hotels.

The two things you will notice in Quebec city among others is that 1-everyone smokes and 2- everyone drives like a maniac. You go 20 over and they are still flipping you off for driving too slowly.
Old 03-09-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to Montreal for a few days on our Honeymoon. Got a good hotel deal at l'Hotel d'Institute by calling Montreal CofC - with a balcony and right on a street with tons of shops and restaurants. Loved the European sensibility of the place. Will be going back soon. The old part of the city was really nice for walking around.

-Gunshy
Old 03-09-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunshy
Went to Montreal for a few days on our Honeymoon. Got a good hotel deal at l'Hotel d'Institute by calling Montreal CofC - with a balcony and right on a street with tons of shops and restaurants. Loved the European sensibility of the place. Will be going back soon. The old part of the city was really nice for walking around.

-Gunshy
Yep, that's where I stayed this last September. A friend got a good deal there, and it was in a nice spot, overlooking the city. A very nice breakfast there the next day, too.

And you might have to wait in line, but I thought it was worth it to get some of these to take home:

http://www.fairmountbagel.com/eng/index.htm
Old 03-09-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

May your trip to Montreal be as moving as it was for Gino Vannelli.

When I think about those nights in Montreal
I get the sweetest thoughts of you and me
Memories of love above the city lights
Ooh, I tried so hard to take it
But oh Lord my heart won't make it