Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Man commits murder, suicide in attempt to fake death and steal another's identity

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Man commits murder, suicide in attempt to fake death and steal another's identity

Old 03-07-08, 03:11 PM

Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet, as it is one of the most bizarre news stories I have ever encountered. From the Chicago Tribune:

Authorities said Thursday that the Lake Barrington resident killed a 20-year-old Arlington Heights man, used the body to stage his own death then committed suicide Sunday in a suburban St. Louis motel room as police came close to unraveling the twisted plot.

"We have one murderer who was too much of a coward to face the music," said Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran at a news conference. "He put a bullet through his head."

Now authorities want to know if Squire's wife, Denise, played a role in the slaying of Justin Newman, the man found in the couple's garage Feb. 23. Police believe Ari Squire, 39, lured Newman to his home with the promise of a construction job.

Police described Denise Squire, 46, a former adjunct professor in health studies at National-Louis University in Wheeling, as a "person of interest" after questioning her for several hours Wednesday.

The Squires sent at least four e-mails to each other after Ari Squire had supposedly died, authorities said. In an e-mail Feb. 29, the day of his memorial dinner, Denise Squire allegedly told her husband that 120 people had attended his banquet at Maggiano's Little Italy in Skokie, officials said.

Denise Squire could not be reached for comment.

Police believe Ari Squire may have been trying to collect on an insurance policy the couple took out five years ago.
This is just a small except from a much longer story. Captivating reading.
Old 03-07-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

"We have one murderer who was too much of a coward to face the music," said Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran at a news conference. "He put a bullet through his head."
Is he trying to taunt a dead guy, or what?
Old 03-07-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What a fucking asshole, and also, he's a idiot. How did he think that he could assume someones identity, and no one would wonder where Justin Newman was? This plan was destined to fail, and I hope they nail his wife for this also, she seems to be guilty as fuck.
Old 03-07-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

he gave it a shot...

what the hell...
Old 03-07-08, 04:57 PM
Banned

That's some creepy shit. Now I'm scared to accept work from anybody or go to their home. Damn!
Old 03-07-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
That's some creepy shit. Now I'm scared to accept work from anybody or go to their home. Damn!
Hey, I need help building a deck. I will pay you good money.
Old 03-08-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the over/under on a "Law & Order" episode based on this case? This season or next?
Old 03-08-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The plot makes no sense. Sure, people in mystery stories try this stunt all the time, but it doesn't work there either!
Old 03-08-08, 09:49 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

at least in Fletch they switched dental records
Old 03-08-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-08-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always wondered the thought process people go through before trying something like this. I mean, does anyone watch tv anymore? This kind of stuff never seems to work.
Old 03-08-08, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

I'm betting this guy was squirted with a hose when he was young.