Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone own a Honda Civic Si?

Old 03-06-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone own a Honda Civic Si?

I'm thinking about buying one, but it would also be my daily commuter car. Is the ride & gas mileage decent for that? I've got a 95 Civic, and before that an 86 Accord. Hondas are all I've ever owned. I'm also considering the GTI and Mazda3.

Basically, I'm looking for a practical car that has some fun & personality to it. I'd be willing to go up a level in price range if the comfort/performance justifies it.
Old 03-06-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was looking at the Honda Civics this past summer. If you're looking at a more practical car, I would recommend the EX trim of the regular Civics as it gets better mileage and still shares the same design.

I bought the Honda Fit Sport instead. About seven grand cheaper than the EX trim with better mileage and more room inside. It's not nearly as fast, but I dug the design and I get 300 miles to each tank -- which works out well considering I go to school and work on a daily basis.
Old 03-07-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what I wrote in the "YACT: Best small to mid-sized car under $25,000" thread:

I've got the Civic Si 2007 coupe, and the main things I had to get used to was the A-frame bars that make it hard to see traffic on the right when making a turn (but you learn to adapt after a while), 3rd gear can be sticky (have to make sure you click it into gear, else it might slip or grind if you don't get it into its true notch), and the low profile tires make for a more bumpy ride than I was accustomed to (going from 16" 65 profile tires to the 17" 45 profile tires) but they are much more grippier in turns. Gas mileage is rated at 23/30 mpg, and I can usually get about 28 mpg with shift-points under 4,000 rpm on a usual basis.
If you have more questions, let me know. My previous car was a '94 Civic EX coupe (and I still drive it 1-3 times a week depending on the weather, etc). I think I'll be driving that car into the ground one of these years.

The Si has a high-revving motor, and if you really want the acceleration/speed from it, you have to run it over 5500-6000 rpm, but its engine loves revving high (you just take a gas mileage hit for having some driving fun). You might not like the stiffer ride of the Si model. Do try the EX model and see if its ride handling is more to your liking.

The new Si also has a CD/Radio deck that plays MP3s, WMAs from CD, and has an audio input jack for an IPOD, or Blackberry, or Zune, which is a nice feature.

Last edited by Patman; 03-07-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-07-08, 11:36 AM

I'm planning on getting an EX-L within the next year. I love the look and hp of the Si trim, but you can't beat the reported 40 mpg highway I've heard from my friends for the non-sport trims. The EX-L has nice options like leather heated seats, heated side mirrors, etc for not much more over the price of the EX. I was leaning heavily towards the Mazda3 for awhile, but I think you get more bang for the buck with a Civic, and the mileage is so much better. The Civic also feels more solidly built to me. This will be our road trip car, and the area we're planning on buying a house in is a pretty decent commute from work for me, so mileage might be more of a concern for me than it is for you.