Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Help Me Buy a Treadmill

Old 03-05-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Help Me Buy a Treadmill

I am looking to pick up a treadmill, and am a little bit of overwhelmed at the variance in price, and I am hoping some people here have some experience with treadmills. I was looking over at Runner's World, but there aren't that many posts concerning this topic. Most of them seem to think that anything under $1,500 is absolutely shit for running, but maybe they are exaggerating? Consumer Reports also doesn't exactly have a lot of detail about the different treadmills other than a rating. Here is what I am looking for:

Running more than walking.
Under $2,000.
Folds up.
Not too difficult to move.
Relatively quiet.

I don't care about the frills. I don't need a TV in the unit. I just want something that can take abuse, and doesn't kill me on price. Models/Brands I was curious about included:

Smooth Fitness (seem to have very good prices, and decent rankings but how is their reputation?)
Sole F85 (got knocked around on RunnersWorld, but has good reviews otherwise, but that has been questioned.)
How do people feel about NordicTrack? Can I get a decent one for less than $2k? Are they like the Bose of fitness equipment?
Bowflex Series 7 (Anyone have, recommended?)

So what does everyone recommend? Something I haven't mentioned? I really have no clue, and I am not about to spend $3,000. I would love to keep it to under $1,500, but if I have to spend up to $2,000 I might be able. Please help me out guys.
Old 03-05-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy whatever one Costco is selling these days that fits your budget, if it sucks or you don't like it, it is very easy to return

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...=en-US&topnav=

This one actually looks very cool

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=
Old 03-05-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What kind of airplane are you planning to use on this?
Old 03-05-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Used
Old 03-05-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried looking used on craigslist, but most people don't even list what model they are selling. Where else should I look?
Old 03-05-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought mine online at Sears, it cost 1100$ (they often have sales).

It folds up like this:
IMG_9483

Last edited by Pressplay; 03-05-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Pressplay
I bought mine online at Sears, it cost 1100$ (they often have sales).

It fold up like this:
IMG_9483
Sorry, I went beyond and rummaged through your stuff. That's one of the coolest places I've been to. Your stamps remind me of a similar set at my grandfather's auto garage.
Old 03-05-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here you go:

Old 03-05-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suggest that you give up on
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Folds up.
Yes, you can get a good one for less than $2K (maybe not much less, though). SportsArt, True, and Life Fitness all make good models. Consumer Reports just rated some models in last month's issue. Not that CR is the last word on anything, but they're pretty good at rating reliability.

The main thing I'd suggest is going to a sporting goods store (a real one, not Dick's) and trying various models out -- for a long time, if necessary. The salesmen work on commission so they can be annoying, but you really need to see how you like the model before plunking down 1-2 grand. Ignore the crap they spew about horsepower and focus on comfort, speed, and how durable it feels. A lot of the cheaper models have short, narrow belts; avoid them.
Old 03-05-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try to find a used Landice L7. It doesn't fold up, but the thing is awesome! You can run all out on it and it is rock solid stable. I paid around 4k for it a few years back and it remains to this day as one of my better purchases.
Old 03-05-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I tried looking used on craigslist, but most people don't even list what model they are selling. Where else should I look?
Try the Bargain News. I know that there's a paper for CT and I'm pretty sure that there's one in NJ.
Old 03-05-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Space is an issue so I really cannot get away from the folding variety. I have been reading good things about the NordicTrack from Costco.

I saw the Landice L7 on Craigs for 2K, but that's higher than I was hoping to pay, and again, it doesn't fold up.

I can't get anything sturdy that folds for around $1,500? I'm only 155 pounds.
Old 03-05-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sorry, I went beyond and rummaged through your stuff. That's one of the coolest places I've been to. Your stamps remind me of a similar set at my grandfather's auto garage.
Thanks The Bus I moved in last June as a first time home owner. What's even cooler is that my place is in a building that used to be a candy and cookie factory.

On topic: I just got home and checked the brand of my treadmill, it's "Freespirit".
Old 03-05-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, it doesn't have to fold anymore. Will that allow me a better treadmill at the $1,500 price range?
Old 03-05-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be creative, buy a C2 rower... Its much more fun
Old 03-05-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's something you may want to consider. I have an extended warranty on my treadmill. I *never* go for extended warranties on anything, but with something like this (which takes a beating) I made an exception, and it's been worth it to me. The warranty cost me $169, and I've used it twice; I had to have the motherboard replaced about a year ago, and right now, the board under the tread is cracked (if you step on the middle of the tread, it feels like you're steping into sand). The cracked board will be replaced in the next week (free parts and free labor, both times). This particular repair would cost over $400 without the warranty, according to what I was told.

If you're really going to use your treadmill, it's something to think about.
Old 03-06-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Here you go:

Much cheaper and more effective in the long run.
Old 03-06-08, 11:05 AM

I used www.treadmilldoctor.com when researching an elliptical trainer and am very happy with their advice - I ended up with a Sole E95.
Old 03-06-08, 11:58 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out these two sites for advice and reviews: http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/ and http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/

The two brands I like in your price range are Smooth and Sole. They both offer folding models.
Old 03-07-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, kudos on making this decision to buy this machine. It has been one of the greatest purchases I have ever made.

As far as what type of unit to purchase, how often do you plan on using it and how fast do you plan on running? Those things make a huge difference in deciding which tier machine to buy. You sound like accessories don't interest you much. I didn't care much for them either and so purchased a new Pro-Form Crosswalk 370e from Sears for around $700 with warranty over two years ago. I am not an aggressive runner. I use it anywhere from 20 to 80 minutes per day at an average speed of 7 mph. I don't know if that is considered 'light' usage, but if that is in your ballpark, a cheaper machine shouldn't hold you back.

My machine was foldable, had incline features, and several other basic programming ability. Along with a thumb-accessing heart-rate monitor...which is not very accurate.

One thing to remember, as mentioned earlier by someone, is to get the warranty--especially if you are getting a lower tier unit. My warrant has come in incredibly handy. I've had to replace the main belt once and a smaller inner belt another time. Total costs would have been around $500, but I didn't pay a dime. I believe I got a three year warranty, and it appears I'll be using it one final time as my machine is showing some wear again.

Good luck on your search for the ideal candidate. Just don't get suckered into buying a machine that is overkill for your needs.

Last edited by HE Pennypacker; 03-07-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-07-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably be purchasing the NordicTrack Commercial 1500 from Costco for $800. I was definitely considering the Smooth and Sole in the $1,500 range I just felt that it was a little too much to spend at this time after juggling some things in my head. It had gotten great reviews on Treadmilldoctor.com, and people seem to be raving about it on Runner's World.

I also like the generous Costco return policy. I will probably get the warranty from a third-party to save some money on that as well, but it's nice to have the comfort that if I don't think the treadmill suits my needs I will be able to bring it back. That will probably be a nightmare to lug it back though.
Old 03-07-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Here you go:

F-er took my line (even though I am way late)

For me, its much easier to get motivated to go to a gym and work out. Partly because I see people other people working out, wide variety of excercises, and its convenient afterwork (letting rush hour pass).

For $400, you can get 3 years pre-paid gym membership, then its like $70 a year after that. You always have >$3k machines that get updated pretty consistently plus all the weights and group classes.

Now if you are starting a personal training business and plan to have clients work out at your home, then