Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

More Shame for the Military

Old 03-05-08, 11:29 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
More Shame for the Military

link

America's shame 2: U.S. airmen caught on video taking drugs, drinking, and waving samurai swords
Last updated at 22:16pm on 4th March 2008

Comments Comments
Military chiefs have ordered an urgent investigation after shocking video footage posted on YouTube showed airmen taking drugs, drinking and brandishing samurai swords.

The film apparently shows American airmen at their barracks in Mildenhall, Suffolk and was put on line by a local man appalled at what he saw.

In one scene on the tape - a compilation of phone camera footage - a man is clearly seen snorting up lines of white powder.

Scroll down for more...

The footage was apparently shot at barracks in Mildenhall, Suffolk

In another a man brandishes a Samurai sword while others dance and drink.

The person who uploaded the film describes it as: "Here we have a piece of video footage on what really happens on and off mildenhall air base - more to follow shortly ... keep tuned!"

It's the latest in a string of drug scandals involving US servicemen in Suffolk.

Read more...

* America's shame 1: Grinning U.S. Marine caught throwing yelping puppy off Iraqi hill in shocking YouTube footage

In the last twelve months several have been jailed and kicked out of the forces for offences including use and supply of cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine.

But the US military authorities deny there is a major drug problem on the airbase which is home to a fleet of flying tankers that refuel front-line jet fighters at the nearby Lakenheath base.

The latest drug scandal emerged when the local businessman, who lets accommodation to servicemen and their families, was handed a DVD disc by a former tenant who is a USAF military policeman.

The landlord said: "My tenant left and handed me the disc saying that I might find it interesting to know what went on at the base.

Scroll down for more...

"I was appalled and horrified to see such behaviour - these young men are part of our community and are seen drunk and using drugs.

"They are danger to themselves and the local population."

A spokesman for the base said: "We have been made aware of the film and will be investigation to see if we can identify the people involved and need to take any action."


How fucking stupid can you be to let anyone film you when you doing shit like this? Did they think no one would find out about it. These guys all deserve to have a court martial for this.
dieinafire is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 11:34 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
So the guy didn't see anything, but was handed a disc by another party?

Once again, I am not sure of the reliability of the video. I mean, that seems like a HUGE line of coke to be snorting.
jonw9 is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 11:36 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
if anything is proven, i predict a few commanders will get relieved
al_bundy is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 11:41 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
That video is SHOCKING!!! DISGRACEFUL!!! Who knew there were so many white kids poppin' and lockin' in today's military?!!
Numanoid is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:04 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,776
I don't understand the thread title. Yeah, these guys are boneheads, and since they're in the military they're going to have to face some MUCH more severe "music" than they would otherwise, but I don't get the OP's title. These idiots will get what's coming to them - the military will "handle" this appropriately, trust me.

For the OP: I see you're from MA, what is your opinion of our military?
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:11 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,733
These military threads are getting really fucking old with the pro/against governemt/war bullshit - can a moderator please clear the political garbage out of Otter....?
Minor Threat is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:16 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I don't understand the thread title. Yeah, these guys are boneheads, and since they're in the military they're going to have to face some MUCH more severe "music" than they would otherwise, but I don't get the OP's title. These idiots will get what's coming to them - the military will "handle" this appropriately, trust me.

For the OP: I see you're from MA, what is your opinion of our military?
I have all the respect in the world for what they do, I have not served myself, but have had many friends who did, or still are. I can't imagine what they have to go through when they are in a war zone, and the shit they have to deal with when they come home sometimes. I even went to school with someone who died in Iraq. I don't even have a problem with them partying, and drinking, and doing whatever on their own time. My only problem here is they let someone record it, and now they will have some serious repercussions for their actions. The military just doesn't need shit like this to happen.
dieinafire is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:19 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Drinking and drugs are one thing, but not a samurai sword!!!!!!!!
Jadzia is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:27 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
These military threads are getting really fucking old with the pro/against governemt/war bullshit - can a moderator please clear the political garbage out of Otter....?
Agreed.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:29 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
For the OP: I see you're from MA, what is your opinion of our military?
It's not like he's from Cambridge.
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:32 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
It's not like he's from Cambridge.
No fucking way, thank you very much.
dieinafire is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:45 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,717
They appear to be airmen, at off-base housing, just getting drunk and screwing around while off-duty. Normal behavior for anyone their age. An investigation might be in order for the person with what appears to be drugs, but the rest of the tape is benign. I don't think there is a regulation in the UCMJ that prohibits being a drunk asshat while off-duty. Now if these airmen were doing these sorts of things while in uniform and on-duty at RAF Mildenhall or Lakenheath, and some sort of accident or negligence happened (like not updating a 9270 screen in G081 and the KC-130 doesnt get off the flight line in time.. and an F-16 runs out of fuel and crashes or something), then I would be worried. Other wise, no.
E. Honda is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:53 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Originally Posted by E. Honda
They appear to be airmen, at off-base housing, just getting drunk and screwing around while off-duty. Normal behavior for anyone their age. An investigation might be in order for the person with what appears to be drugs, but the rest of the tape is benign. I don't think there is a regulation in the UCMJ that prohibits being a drunk asshat while off-duty. Now if these airmen were doing these sorts of things while in uniform and on-duty at RAF Mildenhall or Lakenheath, and some sort of accident or negligence happened (like not updating a 9270 screen in G081 and the KC-130 doesnt get off the flight line in time.. and an F-16 runs out of fuel and crashes or something), then I would be worried. Other wise, no.
I think the only big problem is the coke snorting that was recorded. If they had done it all without the camera, then it would be fine, you should be able to do what you want in your own time, as long as it does not affect you work.
dieinafire is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:54 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,172
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
These military threads are getting really fucking old with the pro/against governemt/war bullshit - can a moderator please clear the political garbage out of Otter....?
General Zod is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 12:57 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,232
Originally Posted by dieinafire
I think the only big problem is the coke snorting that was recorded. If they had done it all without the camera, then it would be fine, you should be able to do what you want in your own time, as long as it does not affect you work.
So, doing coke in front of a camera affects your work, but doing it away from a camera doesn't?
drmoze is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 01:00 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Originally Posted by drmoze
So, doing coke in front of a camera affects your work, but doing it away from a camera doesn't?
Just doing some coke, and drinking off duty will probably not affect your work, but being videotaped, and then busted for the whole world to see does.
dieinafire is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 01:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by dieinafire
I think the only big problem is the coke snorting that was recorded. If they had done it all without the camera, then it would be fine, you should be able to do what you want in your own time, as long as it does not affect you work.
in the army units i've been in they do 100% urinalysis of the unit over the course of 12-18 months. air force is probably the same, but even in the army they used to bust a lot of people for drug use.

one time in italy they did a surprise piss test and busted something like 15 people for using ecstasy
al_bundy is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 01:27 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
These military threads are getting really fucking old with the pro/against governemt/war bullshit - can a moderator please clear the political garbage out of Otter....?
good idea...
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 01:27 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,145
Thank God that soldiers throughout history have completely refrained from any such action. I mean, those heroes of the Greatest Generation never got drunk or went whoring. Note that is is also true for every other soldier in every non-US military as well.

The standard we hold members of the military to these days is completely ridiculous. They're humans (young males, mostly) doing a fairly stressful job, give them a break.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 01:56 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Illustrious State of Fugue
Posts: 6,257
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Drinking and drugs are one thing, but not a samurai sword!!!!!!!!
My very first thought. Military soldiers handling a martial implement, NOES!!!!
Kudama is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 02:17 PM
  #21  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,399
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Thank God that soldiers throughout history have completely refrained from any such action. I mean, those heroes of the Greatest Generation never got drunk or went whoring. Note that is is also true for every other soldier in every non-US military as well.

The standard we hold members of the military to these days is completely ridiculous. They're humans (young males, mostly) doing a fairly stressful job, give them a break.
That still doesn't excuse the use of samurai swords. I mean, they were brandishing them for chrissakes!!!
DRG is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 02:20 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,819
Originally Posted by Numanoid
That video is SHOCKING!!! DISGRACEFUL!!! Who knew there were so many white kids poppin' and lockin' in today's military?!!
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 03:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
^The original video isn't really any worse than that one, just a bunch of kids goofing around. And I seriously doubt that was actually a line of coke.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 06:36 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,610
Youtube is such a great idiot detector.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 03-05-08, 08:57 PM
  #25  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Originally Posted by dieinafire
Just doing some coke, and drinking off duty will probably not affect your work, but being videotaped, and then busted for the whole world to see does.
How do you know you're not going to be called immediately for a crisis situation. When you're in the military, stuff can happen rather quickly. And that link of coke won't go away so quickly.
DVD Polizei is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.