Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Airborne helps prevent catching a cold... NOT!

Old 03-04-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Airborne helps prevent catching a cold... NOT!

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/04/news...n=money_latest

Airborne settles lawsuit for $23.3 million
The herbal supplement firm will settle class action lawsuit that alleges false advertising; money will be refunded to consumers, non-profit advocacy group says.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Airborne - the herbal supplement company that once claimed to help fight off colds - will pay $23.3 million to settle a class-action lawsuit brought against the company for false advertising, according to one of the groups that joined the suit.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit advocacy group, said the company will refund money to consumers who bought Airborne's product. It will pay for advertisements in major publications instructing consumers on how to get their money refunded.

"There's no credible evidence that what's in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment," said CSPI Senior nutritionist David Schardt. "Airborne is basically on overpriced, run-of-the-mill vitamin pill that's been cleverly, but deceptively, marketed."

According to the company's Web site, Airborne was created by second-grade teacher, Victoria Knight-McDowell, who "studied the benefits herbal therapies used in Eastern Medicine." The site says Airborne "boosts the immune system with seven herbal extracts and a proprietary blend of vitamins, electrolytes, amino acids and antioxidants."

A recorded message at the toll-free number of the class-action settlement administrator said that Airborne Health Inc. has admitted no wrongdoing. Airborne Inc., Airborne Health Inc. and Knight-McDowell Labs are among the defendants in the class action lawsuit, filed in the Central District of California in U.S. District Court.

"Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct," the message says, "but have agreed to settle the litigation."

A hearing to consider final approval of the settlement is scheduled for June 16.

Airborne changed their advertising campaign when a plaintiff filed suit against the company in March 2006.

That came after an ABC News report disclosed that the company's clinical trials were not conducted by doctors or scientists, but instead carried out by two laypeople.

Advertisements stopped mentioning the study and cold-curing claims and instead touted claims that it helped boost the body's immune systems.

In late 2006 the CSPI joined the suit as co-counsel against Airborne and in 2007 the Federal Trade Commission and an assembly of state attorney generals began investigating the firm's cold-curing claims professed since its creation in 1999.

Customers interested in more information about how to recieve a refund should log onto www.airbornehealthsettlement.com.
Old 03-04-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in: smoking causes cancer!
Old 03-04-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Well this may be true but I was on a cruise full of sickly people and my family took Airborne and we were fine the whole trip. Most everyone else got sick. So my experience with the product has been positive. I know it may have been a coincidence..
Old 03-04-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alka seltzer and vitamins can cure anything...stupid lawyers.
Old 03-04-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
This just in: smoking causes cancer!
I'm suing you
Old 03-04-08, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I always used to get a cold after flying and I started taking this (or EmergenC) before and after the flight and I haven't gotten sick since I started doing that.

I'm sure it can't prevent every illness, but it does seem to help.
Old 03-04-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who the hell trusts medicine made by a school teacher?
Old 03-04-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
Well this may be true but I was on a cruise full of sickly people and my family took Airborne and we were fine the whole trip. Most everyone else got sick. So my experience with the product has been positive. I know it may have been a coincidence..
Actually, I'd rather try something like Airborne before I'd trust anything the FDA told me take for a cold. In my opinion, the FDA will attempt to discredit any vitamin or supplement that they can't make money on, and they only approve stuff that includes explosive diarrhea or kidney failure as a side effect.
Old 03-04-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Doesn't the "Not evaluated by the FDA, no intended to cure or diagnose, yadda, yadda, yadda" think cover them? I mean, crap like this is sold to make my penis bigger (if that were even possible), improve my memory, increase my energy, etc. How is this different.
Old 03-04-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get so fricking tired of people trying to shove this bullshit herbal crap down my throat any time anyone in the office or at rehearsals gets the sniffles.

I don't know when Airborne took over from echinacea as the science-free cold preventative for the brainless, but its ascendency seems complete. There's never any shortage of people eager to throw their money down the toilet.

Last edited by adamblast; 03-04-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 05:02 PM
Suspended

It's worked for me, both on airplanes and in the classroom.

We did some flying over the Christmas holidays, and my mother-in-law had some sort of cold/upper respiratory infection. My wife caught a cold from the woman who sat next to us on the plane, and caught a cold from her mother. I caught nothing.

I can't say it's attributable to the Airborne for certain, but for a few bucks a month, I'm willing to keep using it.
Old 03-04-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by adamblast
I get so fricking tired of people trying to shove this bullshit herbal crap down my throat any time anyone in the office or at rehearsals gets the sniffles.

I don't know when Airborne took over from echinacea as the science-free cold preventative for the brainless, but its ascendency seems complete. There's never any shortage of people eager to throw their money down the toilet.
You seem stressed. I recommend St. John's Wort.
Old 03-04-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It works ... just as well as taking a quality multi-vitamin.

For the price (about $0.70 a shot), I'll skip the marketing and buy stick to my vitamin (about $0.12 a pill). Won't stop me from taking them when others are handing them out.

When I do feel a cold coming on, I take my vitamin, zinc, and occasionally a generic airborne or Emergen-C, and the duration of the illness is definately shorter.
Old 03-04-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I just checked with my wife, who is also a teacher, and she has verified the science behind these.
Old 03-04-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this the same stuff that caused a bunch of people to permanently lose their sense of smell?
Old 03-04-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Is this the same stuff that caused a bunch of people to permanently lose their sense of smell?
No, that's the zinc stick that you cram up your nose.
Old 03-04-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GoVegan
No, that's the zinc stick that you cram up your nose.
Sure, when you say it like that it makes it sound crazy.
Old 03-04-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may sound crazy, but it was created by a photographer at Sears Photo Center who looks at noses all the time.
Old 03-04-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What makes this different then any other herbal thing in the aisle at the store? Does ginkgo actually increase your memory? Has the fda approved it?

What about bottled water? Does it contain any more water than that is available from a kitchen sink? It seems like the same argument.
Old 03-04-08, 06:08 PM
Stealth Moderator

Well, they say that vitamins may help fight the cold, and Airborne contains lots of vitamins. It's just that they severely overchage you for the vitamins that you can get for about 1/10 the price.
Old 03-04-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it may work for you if you think it works. but that doesn't mean it really works.
Old 03-04-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just take my normal vitamins, no problems. If people think it works for them, that's probably enough to make them happy.

I would have thought there was a disclaimer on the bottle, just like kvrdave said.
Old 03-04-08, 07:07 PM

Did someone actually sue because they took this and still caught a cold?

If so that is funny.
Old 03-04-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
it may work for you if you think it works. but that doesn't mean it really works.

Aha, but if it works for me because I think it works, then it really does work....for me.
Old 03-04-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this mean that all those people who got a flu shot, then got the flu, can sue?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.