Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What Rewards Card Do you Have?

Old 03-04-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What Rewards Card Do you Have?

My wife and I have an emergency credit card which we pay off every month if there is even a balance. We usually just use our debit cards to pay for things, as we don't like the idea of credit card debit.

However, we got to talking and the idea of paying for stuff on a rewards card instead of our debit card seems appealing. This way, we can maintain our lack of credit card debit (we plan on paying it off every month) and get rewarded at the same time...

What are some good rewards cards. I found this site, but I am interested in some real life examples.

http://www.rewardscards.com/
Old 03-04-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know a lot of people will probably post about miles rewards, but I just don't fly too often. What i DO like to do is go to the movies. So I submit to you the Sony Rewards card. You can trade in your points for movie tickets at Regal or AMC.

Old 03-04-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a Citi Drivers Edge card. 1-2% back depending on where I'm shopping and 1 penny for every mile I drive which works out well since I usually driver about 30,000 miles a year.

I would also like to add that their customer service is excellent. Any time I've had an issue with the card they have straightened it out without any hassles.

Last edited by John Galt; 03-04-08 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to use the Sony card but it have gotten to the point where it Will take forever to accumulate enough points to get the rip off point system from Sony. Then, I switch over to the Amazon card. Love it since I buy from Amazon often and get 3 points per dollar. After 2500 points, I get a $25 GC.
Old 03-04-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Sony Card too. But, the main reason for that was because I got $150 off my PS3 for signing up.
Old 03-04-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blue.
Old 03-04-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Amex Gold Card and Citi Diamond Rewards. They are basically the same, 5000 points for $50 and 10,000 point for $100. They give you extra points for using them to pay for gas or the grocery store, stuff like that.
I use them mostly to get gift cards from stores. Between both of the cards I'm covered.
Old 03-04-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.rewardscards.com/Starwood...rred-Guest.asp
Best part is you can convert points into airline miles of your choosing.
Old 03-04-08, 02:50 PM

just a Amazon Visa card.
Old 03-04-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I have Amex Gold Card and Citi Diamond Rewards. They are basically the same, 5000 points for $50 and 10,000 point for $100. They give you extra points for using them to pay for gas or the grocery store, stuff like that.
I use them mostly to get gift cards from stores. Between both of the cards I'm covered.
Same here

We use the Amex for EVERYTHING and then use the Citi for places that don't take Amex. We never use the debit cards (I like having the buffer that technically the merchant hasn't gotten my money yet. If they screw up, then it's all paper, the money isn't actually gone from my bank account and I need to get it back).

I think we will probably get a couple of comments on the Amex though because it is not a fee free card and you do need a backup like a VISA or your debit for places that don't take it.

Amex has great customer service and a lot of extras built in (luggage insurance, road side assistance, travel help, legal help abroad, purchase protection, rental car insurance, death insurance on travel, doubles warranty on purchases, etc).

I like the rewards because I can "launder" them into any airline, hotel, merchant, store, travel, merchandise reward I want and I'm not locked into one type of reward. Usually we use it to "top off" frequent flier/hotel/car accounts for travel or get a gift card to best buy or home depot to take the sting out of a big purchase. We tend to hoard the points and use them a little hear and a little there, but you can use them all for a once every 5 year vacation if you want.

The Amex green, gold, and platinum cards are techincally charge cards (balance must be paid in full each month), but they offer "flexible spending" (credit) on travel purchases (air, car, train, cruise, hotel, etc) or items over $200. They are on a different rewards system than blue and some others. Others like the Starwood (Mankal mentioned above) don't have a fee and are on the same rewards system, "membership rewards."

No limit (within reason, they watch your credit and will pull the plug if you get out of control)

Awesome customer service..especially with bad charges dispute. It's gone the minute you tell them. I have had Visa's in the past that require you pay, then they will refund you after they investigate.
Old 03-04-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use my American Express Gold Card or my American Advantage Visa card with American airlines miles for use for non AMEX takers.

I swear it's only 1 point or 1 mile per dolloar, so I'm interested in figuring out how you guys are getting, "5000 points for $50" unless you're talking about the cost for purchasing gift cards which sounds about right.

I tend to use it for giftcards to HomeDepot or flights, one of the two.
Old 03-04-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I use my American Express Gold Card or my American Advantage Visa card with American airlines miles for use for non AMEX takers.

I swear it's only 1 point or 1 mile per dolloar, so I'm interested in figuring out how you guys are getting, "5000 points for $50" unless you're talking about the cost for purchasing gift cards which sounds about right.

I tend to use it for giftcards to HomeDepot or flights, one of the two.
Yea, I'm not sure what he meant about the 5000 point for $50.

I get 1 point for 1 dollar. They often have promotions were you get double and triple points for shopping at www.bonuspointsmall.com or getting gas, groceries, booking travel through them, etc.

One other note, if you happen to have a corporate Amex through your work, often times you can link your personal card to it and accumulate the points you spend for work on your personal account. Some companies tell Amex to allow it, some tell them not to.
Old 03-04-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon card

used to have a buy.com card but that sucked big ones
Old 03-04-08, 03:50 PM

I had a Citi Diamond Rewards Card and converted it to a Citi Premiere Pass.

Premiere Pass gives you 5x rewards on anything travel related including gas. They also have merchant links which increase your point multiples.

20k points = 1 round trip ticket anywhere in the US (up to $400)

Diamond Rewards works on a dollar value system, so depending on the flight it can get high.

A recent example was Vegas.

Diamond Rewards - 37k points
Premiere Pass - 20k points

Both use the Thank You Network for their rewards and they have been good to deal with.

I too do not like CC debt and have a 0 balance with 18.5k limit. I have already cashed in on 3 x pair of round trip tickets in the US and have 70k points left.

I put as much of my home renovation on my charge as I could!
Old 03-04-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mainly I use an Amex Blue, but I also have a Visa Chase Rewards because they had a free $250 signup a while back. I use that when I can't use my Amex. Both are good because you get cash back, not GCs. I like the flexibility of that. If I had specific uses for certain types of rewards (i.e. air miles, hotels, etc...) I may change.
Old 03-04-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mankal
http://www.rewardscards.com/Starwood...rred-Guest.asp
Best part is you can convert points into airline miles of your choosing.
+1. I've had this for about 3+ years now. I've only cashed in once so far. There are some limitations, but there is also a good deal of flex. I believe it has won best card for a couple odd years running. Last, I think if you do the point spread, you'll find it has the best return.
Old 03-04-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chase Visa (when I save up $200 in rewards, they send a check for $250), Discover Card (don't use anymore), and Marriott Rewards for business. I signed up for the Marriott card in which they also sent me a business version - the 2 cards together netted me 27,500 bonus points and 2 free 1-night stay coupons (1 of which I just used for my trip to Cali in March). I plan on canceling the business one they sent now that I have the bonus points from it.

Last edited by SleepyW; 03-04-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon, Alaska.

I was gonna try dumping my mortgage payments on one of em... anyone else do that?
Old 03-04-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Amazon, Alaska.

I was gonna try dumping my mortgage payments on one of em... anyone else do that?
Good luck trying to charge your mortgage payment. At worst, your credit card company will treat the charge as a cash advance.

I have a few credit cards:

In Chicago -- for Costco purchases, since they don't take Visa or Mastercard
CapitalOne -- for international travel, since they don't have a foreign transaction fee
United Visa -- for everything else
Old 03-05-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chase Rewards.
Old 03-05-08, 02:40 AM

IMO Citi cards have the best rewards system with the "Thank You" points. The rewards seemed to be "priced" much better then other places. Also, it is easier to attain them. One Christmas my Fiancee and I got gift cards for everyone and just used the points we had to get them. In a close second would be AMEX (take your pick rewards\flight\cash\travel).

What you really want to ask yourself is what TYPE of rewards you want to get. Once you decide this then you can cut you list down. I still haven't found a truly "good" Cash rewards system if you are going to be spending a "large" amount of money as most of the cash rewards are either tiered or capped. With points the caps are much higher (some go over 100K points a year).

You may want to check out your Credit Scores and history as that would also give us a better idea of what to recommend. Even though you may have perfect credit with 1 card, the lack of credit can hurt you. Most of the "prime" cards I wouldnt recommend to anyone with having a score above 650 bare minimum and even thats stretching it. You can get your scores from MyFICO to see where you are at. If it doesnt say FICO score then it is a FAKO score and I wouldnt go by those since they can differ as much as 100+ points from your true scores.

A GREAT resource for this type of information go to creditboards.com. They even have a "pull" database that member contribute approvals\denials, what thier score was, the state they were located in. CRA pulled, and the amount of resit they got.
Old 03-05-08, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love my Amazon but that Citi Premiere Pass looks tempting.
Old 03-05-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Amazon, Alaska.

I heard American Express was toying with the idea awhile back, I'm not sure how far it got. I think only one mortgage company was participating with it.
Old 03-05-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Norweigian Cruise Line Mastercard. Supposedly to build up points, but so far it's yielded nothing of value. We need like 500 points to get something decent. At 3 points per $100, it may take a while.
Old 03-05-08, 09:28 AM

CITI Upromise

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.