Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YAET - I'm not going to pay

Old 03-04-08, 07:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

YAET - I'm not going to pay

So, I "won" 2 acrylic picture frames from some guy. He had a 99% positive rating, with like 50 entries. After I won, I was poking around, and looked at the entries... they all have comments that consist of this: "?????????????????????????????" every, single, one. So, I have not sent payment, and e-mailed the guy 2 times now to explain why his feedback comments are all like that. No answer. I got his phone number, and it just rings and rings.

So, basically, they haven't shipped, and I'm thinking of not paying for these items (we are talking like a $28 sale here). What's the worst that can happen? A negative feedback on my account, and that's it?
Old 03-04-08, 07:40 AM

I dunno man, you should have done your homework first. You are obligated to pay - of course the seller is obligated to respond to your email as well. Your email wasn't rude was it?
Old 03-04-08, 07:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strafe
I dunno man, you should have done your homework first. You are obligated to pay - of course the seller is obligated to respond to your email as well. Your email wasn't rude was it?
No, it wasn't rude at all.. basically it was a "Can you explain why all 50 of your positive feedbacks have comments of '??????????????????????????', instead of any real comment? it's making me a bit skeptical". sort of thing.

No response from my emails, and no answer on the phone, I think I'm pretty much in the right not to continue with this transaction. But, I am new to ebay, so, I just wasn't sure. I'd rather get dinged a "negative" feedback from the guy than lose $30.
Old 03-04-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
So, I "won" 2 acrylic picture frames from some guy. He had a 99% positive rating, with like 50 entries. After I won, I was poking around, and looked at the entries... they all have comments that consist of this: "?????????????????????????????" every, single, one. So, I have not sent payment, and e-mailed the guy 2 times now to explain why his feedback comments are all like that. No answer. I got his phone number, and it just rings and rings.

So, basically, they haven't shipped, and I'm thinking of not paying for these items (we are talking like a $28 sale here). What's the worst that can happen? A negative feedback on my account, and that's it?
I understand your concern, but it seems to me you don't have any legitimate gripe (yet). Besides a neg, he can file a non-paying bidder complaint against you, which, by my understanding, is what he'll have to do to recover the listing fees he paid for the auction (if he wants to do so). I've never been through that process, but I suspect it results in some sort of warning or maybe even a suspension from eBay.

First thing, in these emails you're sending, I'd ask him to confirm payment details as well as asking about the feedback. That way, when he doesn't respond, you have a somewhat legitimate reason to not pay.

I'd also contact eBay with your concerns and ask them to investigate the fishy feedback.

If you post a link to the auction, I'm sure some curious people with spare time on their hands will follow the feedback trails of those bidders who posted "???????????????" and see if there is any more evidence of shenanigans.
Old 03-04-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would contact EBAY, is it possible that they feedback is "commented" out somehow?
Old 03-04-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is all the feedback from the same user. is this guy in another country and maybe is a script issue not showing the right language in your browser. this is strange. that's for sure.
Old 03-04-08, 08:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

the seller in question is glant_cn1; it does say "china", but it ships from within the US, with a New Jersey area code contact number. (and no, nothing migrated into my junk email bin)

Last edited by TGM; 03-04-08 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the seller in question is glant_cn1; it does say "china", but it ships from within the US, with a New Jersey area code contact number. (and no, nothing migrated into my junk email bin)

Jersey? Fuck it - don't pay.....
Old 03-04-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you are expecting him to ship your stuff BEFORE you paid for it? I"m not understanding your complaint about the items not shipping yet and then you say you haven't even paid yet?

Also check peoples feedback before you bid. Even if it's all positives. You think ebay is going to catch scammers?
Old 03-04-08, 08:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
So you are expecting him to ship your stuff BEFORE you paid for it? I"m not understanding your complaint about the items not shipping yet and then you say you haven't even paid yet?

Also check peoples feedback before you bid. Even if it's all positives. You think ebay is going to catch scammers?
no, I don't expect shipment BEFORE I pay, but what I'm saying is, that the guys feedbacks are sketchy, it's been 4-5 day now without response to my three emails, the phone number that is given is a NJ number that, when I just tried again says "cannot be completed as dialed". So..................... sounds pretty friggin obvious to me that something is not on the up and up here.

and yes, totally my bad for not reading the comments on his 50 positive feedbacks, I agree with that, but doesn't mean that I'm going to flush $30 bucks down the crapper now does it?
Old 03-04-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the seller is China based, that may account for the question marks if the comments were left in a character set not supported by your browser.

Now, having a non-working phone number on an Ebay account is not necessarily an indicator of a dishonest seller. If someone were to pull my Ebay info, they'd reach Moviefone when they tried the listed number. If I was a full-time seller, I'd get an 800 number and list that, but no way I'm listing a valid personal cell or home phone for a few sales a month. I'm sure many sellers feel this way.

Of course for me it's a moot point anyway since I haven't listed, nor intend to list anymore on Ebay since the asinine feedback and Paypal changes.
Old 03-04-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd contact ebay's "Live Help" (on their homepage) and ask someone there (a chat window will open and you can discuss this with someone at ebay). I've seen that before (multiple ?s) with pos. feedback--- I just randomly clicked the winner of one of his auctions, ad50330595, and saw the same thing. (If he's in China, perhaps the comments were written in a different language and the text isn't supported? Just a guess).

And as has been mentioned already, you really have to check these things prior to bidding. As an ebay seller, it's frustrating when someone places a winning bid, then starts asking me questions about it after they've won. These are all things that should always be done before bidding (asking about the item, checking feedback, etc).

edit: I was checking ebay while writing and didn't see the above post, but it looks like the above poster and I might be on the same page w/the possible text issue.
Old 03-04-08, 08:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I'd contact ebay's "Live Help" (on their homepage) and ask someone there (a chat window will open and you can discuss this with someone at ebay). I've seen that before (multiple ?s) with pos. feedback--- I just randomly clicked the winner of one of his auctions, ad50330595, and saw the same thing. (If he's in China, perhaps the comments were written in a different language and the text isn't supported? Just a guess).

And as has been mentioned already, you really have to check these things prior to bidding. As an ebay seller, it's frustrating when someone places a winning bid, then starts asking me questions about it after they've won. These are all things that should always be done before bidding (asking about the item, checking feedback, etc).

edit: I was checking ebay while writing and didn't see the above post, but it looks like the above poster and I might be on the same page w/the possible text issue.
that's all well and good, but shouldn't you find some time, within the last 4-5 days to respond to an e-mail? with something? ugh... now I know why I've avoided ebay all this time... this bullshit is just not worth it.
Old 03-04-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

who cares, you can deadbeat bid all day long with ebay's new feedback system. I won 15 cars this week and only have a 2 car garage
Old 03-04-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's all well and good, but shouldn't you find some time, within the last 4-5 days to respond to an e-mail? with something? ugh... now I know why I've avoided ebay all this time... this bullshit is just not worth it.
He probably has the time, but honestly the only thing he probably wants from you right now is your payment, since you won. Technically that's all he should be expecting from the winning bidder, not questions about his feedback.
Old 03-04-08, 09:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

He probably has the time, but honestly the only thing he probably wants from you right now is your payment, since you won. Technically that's all he should be expecting from the winning bidder, not questions about his feedback.
well, he can keep waiting then.
Old 03-04-08, 09:32 AM

Did you get an email with payment details at the close of the auction? One of those automated messages?
Old 03-04-08, 09:41 AM

Never mind, I looked at the feedback, and you were exaggerating (slightly) when you said they were all the same. I saw a smiley face, I saw one that said "Good ebayer", and there are quite a few posted from buyers with feedback of 6000+. Plus, they are not "all the same", they are of different lengths, which tells me this is almost definitely a character set issue said theory supported by the usernames of those posting feedback).

You were right to be concerned, but, as you have acknowledged, your timing was lousy. Now it looks like your legitimate suspicions are unfounded. Don't be a douchbag bidder, pay up. Are they two seperate items? If so, are you getting a discount to have them shipped together? Here is the ONLY tihng I see in the auction that supports you dragging your feet on this (assuming I found the right auction):

* Item will be shipped within 24 hours after received the payment.

* S&H charges can be combined for multiple items. You can get a shipment discount for each additional item. Please confirm with us after the auctions
If this text appears in auction you won, email and explain that you're waiting to hear how much of a shipping discount you will receive before you pay. THEN, if they don't respond, you can probably justify not paying (but I always email with that question before bidding, in case some douche bag seller advertises a shipping discount and then gives a 10 cent discount for combined shipping).
Old 03-04-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
who cares, you can deadbeat bid all day long with ebay's new feedback system. I won 15 cars this week and only have a 2 car garage
Old 03-04-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, he can keep waiting then.
He is not obligated to answer you. You, however, are obligated to pay him. If you thought it was sketchy, you shouldn't have bid.

It's completely on you here.
Old 03-04-08, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
He is not obligated to answer you. You, however, are obligated to pay him. If you thought it was sketchy, you shouldn't have bid.
By this logic, if you bid then bend over bitch.

I won a pair of riding boots from England after I had sent my foot size (length and width) in centimeters and was assured the size was correct. So I get them and the outside of the boot is smaller than my foot.
I repeatedly (and politely) contacted the seller about an exchange, paying the difference if necessary and covering shipping.

Nothing. I now have one of the most awesome pairs of $180 riding boots that I can't wear (one of many malfunctions that stopped my Lobster Johnson costume). I'm thinking that they will be a nice birthday present to my nephew when he gets older. I swear to God. I don't even have big feet. Who has feet that small and is full grown?

Fuck E-bay sellers. (at least that one)

Last edited by Kudama; 03-04-08 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
By this logic, if you bid then bend over bitch.
A bid on ebay is a binding contract to buy the item. not the start of negotiations about the item itself or any potential issues with the seller. If those isses exist, the bid should never have been made.
Old 03-04-08, 11:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

It's completely on you here.

no valid contact number, no response to emails, = no sale. ding me the negative feedback, I don't care, I won't be using ebay again anyway.
Old 03-04-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no valid contact number, no response to emails, = no sale. ding me the negative feedback, I don't care, I won't be using ebay again anyway.
I really can't understand why you made the bid in the first place.
Old 03-04-08, 11:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I really can't understand why you made the bid in the first place.
uhhh, because I wanted the items??... He/they had a 98% positive rating... but yes, my bad, I didn't READ the actual comments... then when I've tried to get some clarification, he/they whatever do not responding to my emails... then when I try to call his listed contact number, it's "out of service". What is so hard to understand about my reluctance to go through with the sale based on all of this? This guy appears to be advertising himself as some sort of a quasi-business, selling new items.. not some random dude selling a used yukalaylee... it's called customer service. A simply acknowledgment to my rather benign questions would go a long way.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.