Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

We as Americans are lucky:

Old 03-04-08, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We as Americans are lucky:

(People in foreign lands are able to participate too...eg Canada)

-to have running water at all times.
Old 03-04-08, 05:00 AM

We, as Canadians, are lucky that you, as Americans, now have Celine Dion instead of us.
Old 03-04-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

uhm...and bottled water.
Old 03-04-08, 07:24 AM

...to have a 66.6% chance of being the first nation to elect a black man or a woman to the highest office of the land.
Old 03-04-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-to be electing a new President in 8 months
Old 03-04-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

- to be able to go see Yosemite, the Everglades, Arches, Great Sand Dunes, the Grand Canyon, Olympia, the Cascades, Cape Hatteras, the Maine Coast, the Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Sanibel, Sequoias, King's Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, the Great Smokys, the Blue Ridge, Zion, The Finger Lakes, Canyonlands etc, etc, etc without leaving the country.
Old 03-04-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

: that we're not the French
Old 03-04-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

: That it isn't ever our fault!
Old 03-04-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
...to have a 66.6% chance of being the first nation to elect a black man or a woman to the highest office of the land.

Um.... Aside from Margaret Thatcher having been a woman, I am pretty sure there are some black men in charge of some countries in Africa.
Old 03-04-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Um.... Aside from Margaret Thatcher having been a woman, I am pretty sure there are some black men in charge of some countries in Africa.
And I'm sure many of them were elected as well, although some may inherit leadership positions. Have we forgotten Golda Meir already? Groucho, read any history books lately?
Old 03-04-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...our taxes are used to keep the rest of the World free/safe.
Old 03-04-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We can complain about the mayor and policemen aren't going to kick the crap out of us.
Old 03-04-08, 09:10 AM
Banned

...we have our priorities in order because our tax money goes to important things like the "war" in Iraq instead of health care for it's citizens.
Old 03-04-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to have Scarlett Johanson roaming around inside of our borders for 10 months of the year.
Old 03-04-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As of Sep 14th, 2007 there were still schools in MS that did not have running water in the wake of Katrina. Perhaps there still are, and there are certainly a great many homes.

But... you are still right that we have access to water in a far greater capacity than much of the world, and we should all be thankful for that. I wouldn't call it 'luck.' It's been well-known since the dawn of civilization that to thrive, you go somewhere with access to water. We, however, along with many other nations, are in the privelaged position of being able to bring water capabilities to communities without water. That is a long road ahead, but it certainly demonstrates our abundance and is something that should bring not pride, but humility. We are indeed a fortunate people on the whole. We, as a nation, are also some of the worst complainers.

But, time to play along.

We as Americans are lucky to be able to choose our own religions and philosophies without fear of oppression by our government (though some of us choose to bypass that freedom and fear such things any way).
Old 03-04-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

that food is plentiful and cheap.

(Have you seen the size of the Quad Stacker?)
Old 03-04-08, 09:37 AM

We, as Canadians, are lucky that when we go to the hospital, we won't die on the waiting room floor because we didn't have health insurance.

We, as Canadians, are glad we say "Eh?" instead of "Huh?"
Old 03-04-08, 10:35 AM
Banned

Because we finally caught on to anime.

Spoiler:
And too many other reasons to count.
Old 03-04-08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
- to be able to go see Yosemite, the Everglades, Arches, Great Sand Dunes, the Grand Canyon, Olympia, the Cascades, Cape Hatteras, the Maine Coast, the Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Sanibel, Sequoias, King's Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, the Great Smokys, the Blue Ridge, Zion, The Finger Lakes, Canyonlands etc, etc, etc without leaving the country.
Don't forget about Tunica!
Old 03-04-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nateman
We, as Canadians, are lucky that when we go to the hospital, we won't die on the waiting room floor because we didn't have health insurance.
No, you just die waiting months, sometimes years, to actually get that test or necessary surgery. Or if rich enough, you fly here or to another country to have the surgery faster and save your life. (for the record I lived in Canada for 20+ years. It took me 7 months for an MRI -just one small example - boo for universal 'health care'. It's a joke and a disgrace).

Back on topic:
One of the biggest things I'm thankful for (though I'm not YET American) is the variety in all things. Whether it's food, culture, entertainment, art, people, climate, nature...you have it all. And if you don't have what you like, right where you are, you can drive to it.
Old 03-04-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, that's against the law. Also, hospitals typically do about 50% of their ER work pro bono. But us dastardly, money hungry, idiotic Americans must be wrong... it's not like any Canadians ever purchase private insurance or come to the US for treatment.

Canadians
Old 03-04-08, 10:50 AM
Banned

Funny story. I live in Oakland, CA and went to the hospital (Highland) with a broken foot. The ordeal took me 12 hours, but at the end here's how it played out.
"Do you have insurance?"
"No."
"What is your income?"
"I'm unemployed."
Here's what you have to pay." *draws a big fat zero*

..."Oh yeah. Here's some free Vicodin and a free foot brace that probably costs like $600. Thank you. Come again."

Maybe it's just the Bay Area, but even the most hopelessly detitute were being helped. I absolutley hate our current "leadership" but I really love this country and most of the people in it. Aw Hell. I love this whole planet.
Old 03-04-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

because we have HasselHoff
Old 03-04-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
...we have our priorities in order because our tax money goes to important things like the "war" in Iraq instead of health care for it's citizens.

No, I am pretty sure America provides health care to their citizens!
Old 03-04-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- to have flushable toilets everywhere

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.