Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Question about "forever stamps"

Old 03-03-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about "forever stamps"

Probably a dumb question here. I know that the "forever stamps" can be used to mail a first class letter under one ounce. But what if you want to mail something heavier and want to use a few of these stamps? They have no value shown on the stamp, but for example, if I have something that costs 80 cents to mail, can I just throw two forever stamps on the envelope, assuming that the price I had to pay for the two stamps (82 cents) will more than cover the postage. Common sense tells me yes, but the stamps not having an actual face value is throwing me. I used to do this with the old first class stamps, and just wanted to make sure I can still do this with the forever stamps.
Old 03-03-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. You have to buy the perma-squared stamps.
Old 03-03-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes you can.
Old 03-03-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the USPS website:

The value of the Forever Stamp (Liberty Bell) will always be the First-Class Mail single-piece 1-ounce letter rate that is in effect on the day of use (mailing), unaffected by any future rate changes.

So, that makes it sound like you can put 2 of them for heavier envelopes. They don't seem to specifically answer your specific question though.
Old 03-04-08, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've done it before and had no issues to speak of.
Old 03-04-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've received packages where people put 3-4 or stamps on (or like a 80 cent stamp and then some others - i don't remember the exact amounts but it was multiples) instead of going to the post office, so yes you can.
Old 03-04-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz
From the USPS website:

The value of the Forever Stamp (Liberty Bell) will always be the First-Class Mail single-piece 1-ounce letter rate that is in effect on the day of use (mailing), unaffected by any future rate changes.

So, that makes it sound like you can put 2 of them for heavier envelopes. They don't seem to specifically answer your specific question though.
Yeah, I was looking for an answer on that site, and thought the same thing, it's not really specific.

But it sounds like some of you have had successful experiences with using multiples of these stamps, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 03-04-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep....today, they're worth $.41 of postage. After the next increase, they'll be worth $.43 of postage...and so on.
Old 03-04-08, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz
From the USPS website:

I don't understand the part in bold.