Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever feel the need to just up and move and start a new life?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-03-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been feeling this way ever since graduating college in May 06 and think I might finally act on it. I just don't feel like there's anything keeping me here anymore.

I've lived in the same city my whole life which was really nice when I went to school since my closest group of friends which I have known my whole life all stayed in the same area as well. We're all getting older now though, and they're all getting married this summer. I already see less and less of them as it is and I know it will only get worse after they all tie the knot and start having kids (which they plan to do within a year).

I've also become really close with my neighbors whom I've lived next to for 4 years now but they're graduating in May and are going to move back home to work on the family farms. I'm sure some more students will move into their place but I'll probably be a good 6-7 years older than them and just don't see myself being able to socialize with them in the same manner.

My work usually consists of 3-6 month contracts after which I spend about a month unemployed while I wait for a new one to come around and I just found out that my current job is going to end this Friday and I see this as the perfect opportunity to just up and run to some beach town where I can fish during the day, get some bartending job at night and just live the simple life that so many people aren't able to do anymore.

I've got plenty of money saved so I would easily be able to support myself during the transition period, plus I would be renting out my house which would bring in some extra income.

The only thing that is really keeping me here would be my family, but there are plenty of small beach towns where I would only be a couple hours away and don't see where this would be that big of a deal. Plus, I would be closer to my grandma who is getting up there in age.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Is this some sort of quarter life crisis that I'm going through or do I just have a case of the Mondays?

blahhhhhhh
Old 03-03-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure. But then I think about how much trouble that would be, and settle down to solve my problems here.
Old 03-03-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every day. Once in a while I even think about taking the wife with me.
Old 03-03-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every godamn day.
Old 03-03-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I actually started thinking about this after seeing one of my friends move to Key West after graduation to start his own booze cruise business. He updates his facebook profile about once a month with all these pics of him fishing, partying, and whatnot. It just seems like he's having the time of his life because he had the balls to do what other people only dream of doing.
Old 03-03-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a couple hour drive away wouldnt be so bad, a few hour flight not so much
Old 03-03-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am graduating at the end of this Summer and wanted to move away. Unfortunately by me running off to some distant job, my wife would have to give up hers for a while, so we would still be broke.

Plus she wants to stay close to family, I don't really care. But something warm and coastal would be nice!
Old 03-03-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to feel that way a lot. One day, I packed a suitcase, got on a bus, and came to Albuquerque. Seven months later, I went back east to get the stuff from my apartment.
Old 03-03-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell Yeah!

Just realize that moving isn't the cure all to solve problems. You will still be you and you just need to be honest with yourself on what you really expect out of the move and what to do if you don't end up finding that result.

I really want to move, mostly for a change of scenery. I am just tired of the crowded 'city life'. I certainly don't want to go as 'country' as kvrdave, but I would really like to take a step towards someplace where the population density is lower.

My biggest hurdle is in finding work and trying to figure out how bad a cut in pay would be to live with (in theory living expenses would be lower)
Old 03-03-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to write. I've been trying to get an idea for a pilot off the ground for some time now but work/social life has been getting in the way of me just sitting back and thinking. So I thought I would just pack up and leave for a few months. My getaway plan is this:

I don't choose a city/state in particular. I go out and I buy a pretty shitty car. Something that only has about 1500 miles left on it. I just drive. No particular direction. Just wherever I feel like going. When the car dies, I get out and settle down in the closest city/suburb. I find some meaningless job and use my savings and live there for a few months and work on something that I find to be meaningful.

Right now would be the perfect time for me to do it. I'm 23. I have no overwhelming obligations to my family. I'm single. My friends are the best and they'll be there when I get back. However, ditching work for a long time is something I just can't see myself doing. It could turn into one hell of a journey though.
Old 03-03-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You definately should get out there and experience life.

Like get a bike or something

Seriously, go for it. Its like meeting someone perfect, then not asking them out. You will spend the rest of your life wondering what would have been. Worse case is its not for you and you move back, but at least you know. Best case, well, you made the right decision and everything is way better. Maybe even get you to move further away to bigger and better things. If possible, try to find your next contract in a different area, away from where you are now, and start with that. I would be more career consious about the move than what you described, but your idea isn't bad, just different view.

I made it a point to get away for several years. Eventually came back, about 50 miles. I chose to move back because what the area has to offer, not because of being close to friends and family. That is just a bonus.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Hell Yeah!

Just realize that moving isn't the cure all to solve problems. You will still be you and you just need to be honest with yourself on what you really expect out of the move and what to do if you don't end up finding that result.
I realize this and I'm not really running away from any problems, it has more to do with how much my life has changed in recent months and what I think is best for me. In fact, the reason I haven't done this in the past is because I felt that running away from problems would have been the reason to get away and I just knew that would be a bad idea.
I really want to move, mostly for a change of scenery. I am just tired of the crowded 'city life'. I certainly don't want to go as 'country' as kvrdave, but I would really like to take a step towards someplace where the population density is lower.
The change of scenery is mostly what I'm going for but I don't see it as something I'm going to try for six months and then move back. I spend a lot of my time during the summer living the beach life with some deep sea fishing during the day, hitting up the bars and shagging to beach music with those sweet little debutantes at night.

I definitely want to move somewhere that's not as crowded as where I am. I'm not technically "in the city" where I'm at, but I'm a lot closer than I'd like to be.
My biggest hurdle is in finding work and trying to figure out how bad a cut in pay would be to live with (in theory living expenses would be lower)
I've actually looked through jobs in some of the coastal towns and it looks like since I have a degree, I could find a regular 8-5 for about the same thing I'm making now with cost of living probably being a little less than it is now. Or I could go the bartending route and probably make more but I'd be giving up my weekends.

Last edited by John Galt; 03-03-08 at 10:09 AM.
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
You bet! We're packing up and moving to Alaska in August.
Old 03-03-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every single day.
Old 03-03-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its much easier because your job is ending, and you are not tied down by a significant other.
Old 03-03-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have often felt this way. Once I clean up all the blood and hide the bodies, it gets to be movin' on time again.
Old 03-03-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i feel this way sometimes but then i realize my wife would easily find me and pull a laurena bobbit on me
Old 03-03-08, 11:09 AM

question: Do you ever feel the need to just up and move and start a new life?

answer: yes, yes I do.
Old 03-03-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Feeling pretty antsy right now, as a matter of fact. Been fantasizing alot about dropping everything and moving to London.
Old 03-03-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by adamblast
Feeling pretty antsy right now, as a matter of fact. Been fantasizing alot about dropping everything and moving to London.
please take me with you.
Old 03-03-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Need to, no.

Want to, sometimes!
Old 03-03-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. I'd like to move somewhere where it doesn't snow so much. Other than that, not really.
Old 03-03-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just make sure to reasearch it a bit more than I did... I did this exact thing, now I feel like Im stuck where I am at now with no way out. Sometimes the grass really does appear greener, but in reality not much different (and in many ways worse).
Old 03-03-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Just make sure to reasearch it a bit more than I did... I did this exact thing, now I feel like Im stuck where I am at now with no way out. Sometimes the grass really does appear greener, but in reality not much different (and in many ways worse).
This is very good advice. Moving can solve some, but not all of your problems. At the end of the day you will still be you & scenery does get old no matter where you are.
Old 03-03-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've always thought about moving to a smaller area like Sioux Narrows-Nestor Falls or Thunder Bay, but I don't have enough money.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.