Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Shirt Patrol 101: Another fashion / laundry thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-02-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alright, first a question: I've recently been looking at purchasing more "slim" fit dress shirts. Garments I usually purchase end up being way too loose around the waist. I recently bought some casual collared shirts that were cut OK (FCUK, Theory) but I haven't had any look with actual business shirts. Even with the "slim" cuts they're still way too loose for my taste. Are there any "business" collared shirts that are cut this way? Many thanks.

Second, another question: Some of these shirts I just got are 100% cotton but say that they should be "dry clean only" --- am I right in thinking this is pure poppycock? Cotton is cotton is cotton right? This is not to say I will scrub them with a bleach-soaked brillo pad and dry them in my oven, but I really want to avoid the cost of dry cleaning plus I don't like the idea of those chemicals right on my skin.

So, Other Shirt Patrol, help me out here.
Old 03-02-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

European designers tend to have more slim fitting options (Ted Baker has some nice stuff, same with Ben Sherman, and of course the standards...Armani, D&G, etc). American brands tend to have a wider/trash bag fit.
Old 03-02-08, 03:49 PM

Find a good tailor; they can alter your existing shirts to create the slimmer profile you want. It will be a "customized" fit without the custom tailored price.

Regarding the "dry clean only" for a 100% cotton garmet, it might be because of possible shrinkage which would change the fit. Or it might be because of the finish.
DIY machine washing causes loss of crispness which no amount of ironing can restore.
Old 03-02-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Find a men's clothier with a good tailor, like jonnyquest said. There may be off-the-rack shirts that fit to your liking; you may need to get tailored shirts. Either way, you'll do better than nosing around a department store on your own.

2. Get your shirts professionally laundered (not dry cleaned). If you're in the sort of business where you need to wear business shirts, the value of the time it would take you to properly clean, iron, and starch your shirts is almost certainly worth more than the dollar or so it would cost you to have your shirts done professionally.

3. Wear an undershirt with dress shirts. Voila -- no chemicals against your skin!
Old 03-02-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I found out why the shirts can't be tumbled dry. They dry in about 5 minutes. I took them out of the dryer while they were still slightly wet. I'll just air dry them, not a big deal.

I've been pretty happy with the Brooks Brothers "no iron" shirt. I take it out of the dryer, hang it, and it's perfectly clean/crisp. Maybe I'll buy some of these and take them to a tailor.

Thank you, Shirt Patrol!
Old 03-02-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A tailor is a must. It is best to do things in bulk, as you'll get a better deal. It will take a few weeks, but is worth the savings and quality.
Old 03-02-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was planning on having my summer / warm weather suit taken to the tailor, but I didn't know shirts could be tailored. Sewing is so out of my mental realm that I really don't understand what they can and can't do.

I've got a tailor in mind already. I think he's good because he has a dusty upstairs shop and a single sign that says "Italo, Tailor" -- but how do I know what a good price is and how do I know if someone is good at it?
Old 03-03-08, 12:22 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I have some Hugo Boss shirts that are slim fitting. I don't know if I'd listen to Tim about slim fitting shirts

I have thought about getting some shirts tailored, as I have a lot Thomas Pink shirts, that are pretty non-slim.

Polo used to do a nice slim fit shirt, and for me personally I like a shirt that's not button down, and doesn't have a pocket!
Old 03-24-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pedagogue
European designers tend to have more slim fitting options (Ted Baker has some nice stuff, same with Ben Sherman, and of course the standards...Armani, D&G, etc).
Just got some nice Ben Sherman jackets/blazers this weekend.
Old 03-24-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bus shows off his new wardrobe:

Old 03-24-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You like my pins?
Old 03-24-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A real man would drink beer and eat wings and bbq until he filled out his regular-cut shirts!
Old 03-24-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like the right thread to ask ... I have 2 Tailorbird shirts where the buttons are real flimsy (they break in various parts -- sometimes it's on the chest, sometimes at the cuffs). Case in point, I will take 10-12 shirts to the dry cleaners to get laundered and my Tailorbirds will come back with a broken button.

Did I just get 2 bum shirts (I obtained the shirts at differrent times) or is this typical quality?