Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

TRULY bad parents (warning:death)

Old 03-02-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TRULY bad parents (warning:death)

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/022108...RH57AL.064.php

Prosecutor: Baby left to die for 8 days

PEORIA - Benjamin Sargent died with his eyes open, fists clenched and strapped into a car seat after eight days without food or water, the county's top prosecutor said Wednesday.

The 5-month-old was dropped off at his parents' house on Feb. 4, wearing a bright-blue snow suit and strapped into his car seat. Eight days later, he was found in the same position, said Peoria County State's Attorney Kevin Lyons during a bond hearing for the parents, who are charged with capital murder for their son's death.

"It's the worst case of child neglect we have seen since the turn of this century," Lyons said afterward. "(On Tuesday), I told (Peoria Police) Chief (Steven) Settingsgaard that this case even rattled me."

Charged are Tracy D. Hermann, 21, and James E. Sargent, 23, both of 3012 W. Proctor St., with two counts of first-degree murder. Additionally, the charges state the parents' actions or lack thereof, were "brutal and heinous . . . indicative of wanton cruelty," factors that could mean they face up to 100 years in prison if convicted.

Lyons also said he might seek the death penalty for the two and has 120 days to make such a decision. State law allows a capital charge if the accused is older than 17 and the victim is younger than 12.

"He died from starvation due to neglect from these two defendants, his parents," Lyons said, spitting out the last word with contempt.
Old 03-02-08, 10:10 AM

Sad to see my hometown in this kind of spotlight.
Old 03-02-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is truly disgusting. I hope they give the parents the death penalty for this. There is NO excuse for doing this to a baby.
Old 03-02-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Highly disturbing.

I wonder about a few things. Was the child left in the car or was the car seat brought into the house? If so was it just set off in a corner? Its hard to imagine no matter how evil a person might be, just ignoring a child in plain sight for 8 days. I'm betting heavy use of drugs was involved.

This is one of those times when I wish the punishment could fit the crime.
Old 03-02-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait ... who dropped the baby off? Did they just leave the baby and car seat on the front porch without making sure the parents took him inside? I think maybe three people need to be charged here.
Old 03-02-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Grandmother dropped the child off, child in car seat was placed in the livingroom, then moved into the crib. Baby was found in the car seat, in the crib.
Old 03-02-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I wonder about a few things. Was the child left in the car or was the car seat brought into the house? If so was it just set off in a corner? Its hard to imagine no matter how evil a person might be, just ignoring a child in plain sight for 8 days. I'm betting heavy use of drugs was involved.
I wondered the same thing. If you click the link, much more info is provided, including this insightful bit:
There Benjamin sat for eight days, most of which both Hermann and Sargent were home, "playing video games, watching TV, feeding and caring for themselves," Lyons said afterward.
And
Hermann's last contact with her son was the night before police were notified. Then, she allegedly told police she "looked at the baby in the crib and presumed he was sleeping so she said she stuck a bottle between the baby and the side of the car seat so that when he woke up, he could grab it and feed himself," Lyons said in open court.

"In case the court had missed it earlier, Benjamin Sargent was five months old," he said, staring directly at Hermann.

The house, Lyons said, was in complete disarray, with clothing everywhere and spoiled food left out. The temperature in the baby's room was nearly 80 degrees and was also filthy, he said.

Hermann then left for Iowa to meet with a man she had met over the Internet, the prosecutor said, noting that she allegedly told police "that Benjamin was not her duty and that it was James' responsibility."
Sounds like they were a couple of absolutely lazy, entitlement generation losers. Maybe the baby is lucky after all. Growing up with these dumbasses as parents wasn't going to be much of a life. Sadly, they also have a three year-old.
Old 03-02-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Time to strap those 2 fuckers in a locked car and leave them for death.
Old 03-02-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE= Sadly, they also have a three year-old.[/QUOTE]

Not for very much longer.
Old 03-02-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm amazed the three year old has lived so long. Unless the mother thought having a little girl was cute, but a little boy was a drag?
Old 03-02-08, 11:47 AM

This is disgusting. It is sort of like a true version of the urban legend of the dead babysitter (Parents are leaving for trip and cannot bring baby along, they are running late so they leave before the babysitter arrives, babysitter is killed before she arrives at house, two weeks later the parents return to find the dead baby still strapped in the highchair) but of course is much worse because it is true.

I'm surprised that drugs weren't mentioned because the whole situation has a crystal meth vibe about it, especially with the unrelated people living in the garage.
Old 03-02-08, 11:47 AM

It just saddens me that someone could be so negligent and cruel. Gotta love people today.
Old 03-02-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So this is what evil looks like

I have a 5 month old myself, and can't stomach this story.
Old 03-02-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone have a gun I can borrow for a few hours?
Old 03-02-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The quicker they're off this planet, the better.
Old 03-02-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sheff
Sad to see my hometown in this kind of spotlight.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Anytime I see a story on Fark or here from the Journal Star it is never very flattering for Peoria.
Old 03-02-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

these people are whack.
Old 03-02-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This case really does call out for the death penalty.
Old 03-02-08, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I was going to say the exact same thing. Anytime I see a story on Fark or here from the Journal Star it is never very flattering for Peoria.
Which is why both of our locations now say Chicago?
Old 03-02-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foggy
I'm surprised that drugs weren't mentioned because the whole situation has a crystal meth vibe about it, especially with the unrelated people living in the garage.
Ditto, the first thing I thought when I read the story was it sounded like tweakers.

I've never encounter anything THIS bad, but most of the disturbing child death/endangerment situations I've experienced involved meth.
Old 03-02-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely heartbreaking, ugh.

His MySpace pages:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=79850276

http://www.myspace.com/lord_aragorn67

Her MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/assassinous_nightshade

She has pictures of the family together.

Last edited by Brent L; 03-02-08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The part that nags at my mind the most, is that, after five months, they apparently had not established a routine feeding/bedtime for the child. I'm not sure why that bugs me so much, but it does. Maybe because it suggests that those five months were also neglectful, and that death was just the inevitable end.

Surely he cried when he got hungry? What did they do, just close the door?
Old 03-02-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another reason why I think - unless they get the death penalty - that there should be MANDATORY sterilization of both of them. Just so that if they ever get out, they can NEVER have children again. Children are a gift, and these two fucks never deserve that gift again for the rest of their lives.
Old 03-02-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

why continue the legal process... lets fry them
Old 03-02-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=345839597

Yikes, MySpazz™ people are a bloodthirsty bunch, eh?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.