Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YACT: Won't Stop Hiding

Old 03-01-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

YACT: Won't Stop Hiding

My girlfriend and I have a cat and a puppy. Recently a family member had to move, and unfortunately they could not take their cats with them. She offered to take the both of them. So far he has only delivered one since he couldn't chase down the other one. Good sign I know. Anyway this cat we have now was supposed to be the friendly one. However he has not come out of hiding since we got him. Whenever we go near him, or look at him, he meows and meows and meows. We tried to give him food, he wouldn't take it. Treats, wouldn't take it. Water, wouldn't take it. Now I don't know if he's eating when we're not here, but it has been 2 days now that he's been hiding. We picked him up, and he complained the whole time, although he did let us pet him.

I'm wondering if he's shy because his brother isn't here. The 2 cats were from the same litter. However the family member said that the other cat always hides, and he's had them for years. We thought maybe he was scared of the puppy, but I don't think the puppy even knows he exists.

He's also gone into harder to reach places so it's a pain to try and get him out and bring him near the litter box, although I couldn't tell you if he has gone to the bathroom yet either. What should we do? Leave him alone and let him come out on his own? Get some catnip? Wait for his brother to see if he improves? I'm not a cat expert so I have no clue, and this seems to be the cat forum so please help us.
Old 03-01-08, 10:02 AM

Before I clicked on it, I thought that this was a car thread but I guess that I should have known that it wasn't from the rest of the title.
Old 03-01-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My cat did this the first time we moved. Give it a few days. Cats can go like a month without eating.
Old 03-01-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

he's in new territory.
Old 03-01-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most cats hide when introduced to a new place, and if you already have a cat and dog, it'll be even more cautious because it can smell that it's in someone else's territory.
Old 03-01-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So how long do you think until he is comfortable to come out. Should we just leave him alone and not try to bring him out? Could he be better when his brother gets here?
Old 03-01-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 03-01-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feliway feline spray + time = happy kitty Good luck.