Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Another prisoner dumped from his wheelchair

Old 02-29-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another prisoner dumped from his wheelchair

http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingne...ey-deputi.html

TAMPA -- A Largo attorney says he represents another inmate who claims that deputies at the Orient Road Jail tipped him out of his wheelchair, leaving him on the jail floor for an hour. That incident, too, was captured on videotape, according to attorney John Trevena.

"The video's very dramatic," Trevena said. "It's particularly egregious because after they dump him out, they just let him crawl around on the cell floor." Click here to watch the video.

Benjamin Rayburn, who is serving a 10-year prison sentence, says detention deputies dumped him from his wheelchair and left him helpless on the floor. Trevena says Rayburn is paralyzed from the chest down.

"They casually dump him out of a wheelchair in a cell," Trevena said.

The video of the incident was not immediately available. The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office did not have an immediate comment.

According to a Hillsborough sheriff's report provided by Trevena, the incident happened Oct. 3, 2006, at 9:05 p.m.

Rayburn had a glass crack pipe inside the jail, and he swung the pipe at Deputy Brett Strohsack, trying to stab him, according to the incident report. Rayburn then threw the pipe, which shattered, striking Deputy Derek Shaw in the back of the head, the report said.

The incident report says that deputies then "relocated Rayburn from his wheelchair to the holding cell floor."

After the incident, investigators charged Rayburn with aggravated assault, battery on a law enforcement officer and introducing contraband into a county detention center, according to the report.

Rayburn has been arrested 17 times in Florida since 1993, state records show. He was arrested by police in Tampa, Clearwater, Orlando, Winter Park and Temple Terrace, and by sheriff's deputies in Pinellas, Orange and Seminole counties.
Old 02-29-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is the video:

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...&partner=en-ap

They even took the chair away from the guy

at the 2:15 mark you can see they guy floundering like a fish as he struggles to pull himself up onto a bench

I don't understand how these dumb ass cops / guards still do what they do even when they know they are being recorded.

Ah, the life as a public employee!

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 02-29-08 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-29-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

good
they should have kicked him a few times too!

this guy sounds like a real winner.. good to know they let him keep a crack pipe in there
Old 02-29-08, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

I don't understand how these dumb ass cops / guards still do what they do even when they know they are being recorded.

Ah, the life as a public employee!
relevant?

http://books.google.com/books?id=M65...LaWNWwac&hl=en
Old 02-29-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

so.. he has been arrested 17 times, had contraband in the detention center, tried to stab an officer, and threw a glass pipe into the back of the head of another officer.

and we are suppose to feel sorry for him because he was dumped on the floor and had to drag himself the 3 feet over to his bed?

awwww.. poor worthless piece of crap.. that sorry loser has it so rough...
Old 02-29-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll reserve judgment until I hear what the grundlesphere has to say about this.
Old 02-29-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually it is quite common to take crutches, canes, and wheelchairs from inmates in county jail when they are placed in a holding cell. Save your rage about that for the policy not the deputies.

As far as the "dumping", he was removed from his chair in a way that prevented him from asaulting another deputy. I saw nothing wrong with that part.
Old 02-29-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
He should have been removed from his wheelchair

and placed in a restraint chair.
Old 02-29-08, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by covenant
I agree.

When I referenced Cops - I was talking about police officers who are caught on camera screaming at people (those skateboard kids / that kid who was in a parking lot)
Old 02-29-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
[url]"The video's very dramatic," Trevena said. "It's particularly egregious because after they dump him out, they just let him crawl around on the cell floor."
Of course they let him. If they restricted his right to crawl around on the cell floor then he'd have a lawsuit on his hands!

I also don't see anything wrong with this, especially in light that he attacked another officer. Most of these cop videos wouldn't ever need to be seen if people just did as the police asked. This guy wanted to be an ass and got treated accordingly. I'd be pissed if he got anything from this lawsuit.