Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Child Predator Kills Self, Family Sue NBC for $100 Million

Old 02-28-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Child Predator Kills Self, Family Sue NBC for $100 Million

link

Judge approves "Predator" lawsuit against NBC

Tue Feb 26, 5:50 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A $100 million lawsuit claiming that NBC prompted the suicide of a former Texas prosecutor who was caught up in its popular sting series "To Catch a Predator" is moving ahead after a ruling by a U.S. federal judge on Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Louis Conradt, a 56-year-old assistant district attorney, shot himself in November 2006 after he was confronted at his Terrell, Texas, home by police officers. They were accompanied by an NBC news crew that was there to film his arrest.

"To Catch a Predator," a segment of NBC's "Dateline" newsmagazine program, lures men to a house with hidden cameras in the belief that they are about to have sexual relations with underage girls or boys. There, they are confronted by the program's host and promptly arrested. In Conradt's case, he was expecting to meet up with a 13-year-old boy.

Critics of the show say it is a form of entrapment, and they have questioned NBC's partnership on the series with an online vigilante group called Perverted-Justice.

Conradt's sister, Patricia Conradt, sued the network, saying "Dateline" was responsible for his death and the harm to his reputation. She grew up in the house where Conradt committed suicide.

U.S. District Judge Denny Chin, while dismissing some causes of action, said certain key claims in the complaint can proceed to trial, according to a 40-page ruling.

Chin let the case go forward on claims of intentional infliction of emotional distress and violation of civil rights, saying if the allegations were proven, "a reasonable jury could find that NBC crossed the line from responsible journalism to irresponsible and reckless intrusion into law enforcement."

"Rather than merely report on law enforcement's efforts to combat crime, NBC purportedly instigated and then placed itself squarely in the middle of a police operation," the opinion read, "pushing the police to engage in tactics that were unnecessary and unwise, solely to generate more dramatic footage for a television show."

A spokeswoman for NBC, which is majority-owned by General Electric Co, said the company will continue to defend itself vigorously.

"We think the evidence will ultimately show that 'Dateline' acted responsibly and lawfully," spokeswoman Jenny Tartikoff said in an e-mailed statement. "The judge's ruling was based solely on the plaintiff's version of the facts. For purposes of this motion only, the judge was required, under the law, to accept the plaintiff's allegations as true."

NBC had argued that it owed Conradt no duty to protect him from suicide, according to the ruling.

Reuters
I don't see how the hell you can sue for this, the guy was a sick fuck. I'm glad he killed himself. I hope NBC counter-sues his **** sister. She is suing, saying they are responsible for his death, and harm to his reputation. What a fucking joke.
Old 02-28-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Conradt's sister, Patricia Conradt, sued the network, saying "Dateline" was responsible for ... the harm to his reputation.
False.
Old 02-28-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 02-28-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
False.
Truth is an absolute defense.
Old 02-28-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope NBC wins and makes them PAY for all the court costs
Old 02-28-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=dieinafire]link

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A $100 million lawsuit claiming that NBC prompted the suicide of a former Texas prosecutor who was caught up in its popular sting series "To Catch a Predator" is moving ahead after a ruling by a U.S. federal judge on Tuesday.

QUOTE]

Good to get that out of the way. Next up we can sue fox for cancelling Firefly!
Old 02-28-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So because this guy was going to molest a child, but was interupted by the authorities, his career and personal life tarnished forever he decides to kill himself.

Succeeds.

Now his family thinks everyone else should pay?

I think the manufacturer of pistol should sue the family of the would-be child molestor for wasting life on the firing pin.
Old 02-28-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A 56 year old man going to have sex with a 13 year old boy? He was a sleazy old man and deserved to spend the rest of his life in prison. Suicide was the easy way out. I don't see how Dateline can be held responsible for his death. I don't necessarily agree with their bait and switch tactics, but if you're going to be an old perv you have to expect to get caught.

Old 02-28-08, 04:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe there was something in the sweet tea...
Old 02-28-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
So because this guy was going to molest a child, but was interupted by the authorities, his career and personal life tarnished forever he decides to kill himself.

Succeeds.

Now his family thinks everyone else should pay?

I think the manufacturer of pistol should sue the family of the would-be child molestor for wasting life on the firing pin.
I think the complaint is going to be that if law enforcement officials had come in and arrested him that is MUCH different than them coming in with a full blown NBC camera crew who would be broadcasting his arrest to the entire country. Also, and I didn't see the footage, but it sounds like the police blew this arrest procedure completely out of proportion to show off to the camera.
Old 02-28-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This reminds me of when Jenny Jones was sued when she had a guest who confessed his crush on a same sex friend and was murdered after the show. If I recall correctly, the family won, but it was overturned later.
Old 02-28-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Abelkems
What the heck is that?
Old 02-28-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Hopefully this thread won't get derailed into past ones about this show and it's tactics.
Old 02-28-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

If only the guy could have been run over by the victim's parents. Then his family would have a case.
Old 02-28-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
What the heck is that?

photoshop!
Old 02-28-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
Hopefully this thread won't get derailed into past ones about this show and it's tactics.

Agreed. I say we stick to the "if there is grass on the field, play ball" debate.
Old 02-28-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Oh ok. I thought this was "To catch a predator - planet Xargnat".
Old 02-28-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod
What the heck is that?
I'm pretty sure that is 'Predator'. That dude is a major perve.
Old 02-28-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I have no sympathy for the man. He chose his own destiny. PERIOD!!! END OF DISCUSSION!!!

BUT, if you commit a crime or if you have ever comitted a crime would you want it broadcast to the entire world? I doubt it. And if those are OK, then where do we draw the line. How about the show "To Catch A Rapist" that sounds more entertaining.

AOh no wait "To Catch A TaxEvader" oh, even better.

To be honest I find the whole thing pathetic. Then again, most TV is.
Old 02-28-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea why I looked at that picture and didn't get the joke. Consider my head totally hung.
Old 02-28-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really hope they don't start a "To Catch a Crop-duster" around the office. I'd be so busted.
Old 02-28-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to see the show 'To catch the guy who shits on public toliet seats'...

Honestly, whose the sick fuck who does this?!?
Old 02-28-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fully admit that this guy was a complete pederast and got what he deserved however, the case was poorly handled by local authorities with Dateline essentially calling the shots on how the cops should do their job(!) I don't see his sister getting a dime, nor do I think she should. I do think that the local police unit has some serious explaining to do. If they had simply responded to the man's home after receiving news of his malpheasance this entire situation could have been avoided and the guy would probably still be alive. That is wherein the controversy lies.
Old 02-28-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Agreed. I say we stick to the "if there is grass on the field, play ball" debate.
I thought you hated dogs.
Old 02-28-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave

classic...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.