Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Father shoots; kills man on motorcycle who followed his daughters home from the store

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Father shoots; kills man on motorcycle who followed his daughters home from the store

Old 02-27-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Father kills motorcyclist.

Yowsers. I would hope to think that I would fire warning shots into the air, get the plate of the motorcycle and call 911 on the guy.
Old 02-27-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheriff: Man killed motorcyclist who followed daughters

Published on: 02/27/08

Bogart A man is facing a murder charge after authorities say he shot and killed a motorcyclist who followed his daughters home from a department store.

Richard Harold Gear, 45, claimed he was acting in self-defense when he shot Bryan Joseph Mough around 6:45 p.m. Monday as Mough drove his motorcycle past Gear's house, Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said.
More metro and state news

The daughters, ages 17 and 19, had called their father on a cell phone to tell him they were being followed, Berry said. As they arrived home, Gear was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol, Berry said.

Mough, 21, drove past the house, turned around and made another pass. Gear fired his .40-caliber semiautomatic gun two or three times, hitting Mough once in the back, Berry said.

Gear called 911 after the shooting, as did neighbors, and sheriff's deputies arrested Gear on a murder charge, Berry said.

"He made an unspecified claim of self-defense," Berry said.

Mough was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Gear's daughters and Mough apparently left the parking lot of a Target in nearby Athens around the same time Monday evening, Berry said. Tempers flared as the drivers headed west toward Bogart.

Gear's daughters told investigators Mough cut them off, they made obscene gestures at him and Mough ran into their car at one point, Sheriff Berry said.

"There is evidence of a collision between Mough's motorcycle and the vehicle operated by Gear's daughters," Berry said, adding authorities do not yet know who initiated contact.

"We've got questions about how it happened," he said.

Investigators went to Target for witnesses and looked at surveillance videos but found nothing to indicate Mough met the girls inside the store or in the parking lot, Berry said.
One of the reasons I stopped doing anything about people pissing me off on the road. I don't know who is crazy enough to run into my car or follow me home.
Old 02-27-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow - its really a busy week for crazy people... on both sides.
Old 02-27-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No motorcyclist runs into a car to intimidate the drivers. It would make as much sense as kicking an anvil. If there are contact marks on the car from the motorcycle, it's because the car struck the bike.
Old 02-27-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It does sound to me like the girls' car hit the biker, who was then trying to confront them about fleeing the scene.
Old 02-27-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they were late for dinner. dad called to see where they were. they were flirting with some dude on a bike and used him/the story as an excuse to distract dad from their tardiness.
Old 02-27-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

they are actually undercover agents. They got a little too close to a russian spy ring and one of the russian operatives was going to take them out. Fortunately their dad is a member of the British secret intelligent service (MI6) and took him out.
Old 02-27-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
One of the reasons I stopped doing anything about people pissing me off on the road. I don't know who is crazy enough to run into my car or follow me home.
Hell yeah. A year or so ago, this guy cut me off, then merged into the lane to my left. I flipped him the bird and the guy's wife saw (maybe she thought I was flipping her off? who knows), but I could see the guy looking over his shoulder at me several times while he was driving and talking to his wife. About a mile later at a red light, he gets out of his car, slams the door, and starts walking over to my car. The light changed and I got the hell out of there, but that's the last time I gave the bird when driving. Who knows what that guy had planned, but I'm sure some people are angry and crazy enough to consider an extended middle finger a capital offense.
Old 02-28-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That father is screwed, and rightly so. Vigilantes suck.
Old 02-28-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Grundle, no sale.
Old 02-28-08, 12:51 AM
Suspended

Daddy can spend many a night being biker-fucked in prison.
Old 02-28-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
they are actually undercover agents. They got a little too close to a russian spy ring and one of the russian operatives was going to take them out. Fortunately their dad is a member of the British secret intelligent service (MI6) and took him out.
This is the most likely reason.
Old 02-28-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the same way Howard Cunningham got Fonzie.

Oh, off to jail with that asshole. There's no self-defense here.
Old 02-28-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He probably doesn't have much of a chance. The only thing really in his favor is if they can prove that the biker hit the girls car. And the second pass he made down the street.

BTW, that is a pretty good shot being able to hit a guy on the move with a handgun. Of course he hit him in the back, which isn't going to support his claim of self-defense.
Old 02-28-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the world coming to when a guy can't shoot another guy in the back for following his daughters home?
Old 02-28-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've followed females home when I was in HS. I am just glad her father didn't shoot me in the back as I was running away. Why did he have to get go home from work early that day?
Old 02-28-08, 10:46 AM

People that overreact to slights and offenses while in traffic astound me. Of all the things in the world to get up in arms about, even if the near-miss or accident was intentional, save your rage for real bad guys. Do a lot of jerks on the road need some lessons taught to them? Yeah, it'd be nice to dispense justice at every opportunity, but at what cost? You want REAL bad situations in traffic, try driving in Iraq. Mobile and stationary bombs ready to send you to kingdom come. I'm amazed at peoples' self-importance when it comes to driving. Most in Los Angeles speed like they've got a beating heart transplant in the back seat. I'm not for random gun brandishing in traffic incidents but as long as shots aren't fired, it sure calms the loudmouths who think they're hot s--t down. All of a sudden, a near miss on your BMW isn't quite so world shattering in the grand scheme of life.
Old 02-28-08, 11:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by filmerp
It does sound to me like the girls' car hit the biker, who was then trying to confront them about fleeing the scene.
This would be my guess as well.

On a side note, after all those visits to the Dalai Lama I would have thought Richard Gear would be more peace-oriented.

Last edited by DRG; 02-28-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once the guy was leaving, the gun had already done its job (scaring him off). The motorcyclist was no threat. The dad is screwed (or he will be after he meets his cell mate).
Old 02-28-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
Most in Los Angeles speed like they've got a beating heart transplant in the back seat.
We have such congested traffic in Los Angeles that speeding is a thing of the past. And when we do get a traffic break, the beating hearts are in the chests of the drivers who finally get the thrill of going the speed limit.
Old 02-28-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really sure why people think this guy will get fucked in jail. It's not like he is a child molestor. And he seems to have a bit of a mean streak. I would think prisoners would look kindly on a guy who blew away his daughter's supposed stalker.
Old 02-28-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait, what? 17 & 19? And there are no pics yet? Or myspace profiles?
Old 02-28-08, 02:38 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The good news is that the father just got his acceptance letter from the local PD.
Old 02-28-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the guy had pulled into the driveway then maybe the father would have some kinda case, but not just driving down the road. And a .40 caliber, the father wasn't fucking around.
Old 02-28-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
People that overreact to slights and offenses while in traffic astound me. Of all the things in the world to get up in arms about, even if the near-miss or accident was intentional, save your rage for real bad guys. Do a lot of jerks on the road need some lessons taught to them? Yeah, it'd be nice to dispense justice at every opportunity, but at what cost? You want REAL bad situations in traffic, try driving in Iraq. Mobile and stationary bombs ready to send you to kingdom come. I'm amazed at peoples' self-importance when it comes to driving. Most in Los Angeles speed like they've got a beating heart transplant in the back seat. I'm not for random gun brandishing in traffic incidents but as long as shots aren't fired, it sure calms the loudmouths who think they're hot s--t down. All of a sudden, a near miss on your BMW isn't quite so world shattering in the grand scheme of life.

It's ridiculous to brandish your gun in the first place.. Don't pull a gun unless you mean to use it.

You show yours, oops, the loudmouth has a gun too and now that he sees you with yours, he feels threatened so he shoots you, and you are dead instead of just 1 minute later getting home from work.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.