Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there desk jobs/non-dangerous jobs available to civilians in Police Departments?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Are there desk jobs/non-dangerous jobs available to civilians in Police Departments?

Old 02-27-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just curious, but can someone join the police department without attending some academy in order to just get a desk job/non-dangerous job in the police department? Are there even desk jobs/non-dangerous jobs available in Police Departments? Or is everyone working in a police department a police officer - even the secretaries (if they do have them)?

I think of this because, in movies, there's always that negative connotation of a police officer being demoted to a desk job. So, I'm just wondering if all police department desk jobs are made up of demoted police officers or made up of fresh-out-of-the-academy cadets?
Old 02-27-08, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of departments have civilian dispatchers.
Old 02-27-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are TONS of civilian jobs. In fact, in most agencies there aren't a lot of sworn officers that stay in headquarters/stations. In the agency I work for, the most lucrative position for civilians would be dispatch/911. In fact, that's where I started. The pay is only about $5k behind what the officers make, OT is readily available in every comm center that I know of, and you really are involved heavily in the law enforcement/public safety community.

There are a lot of certifications you have to get, and you get a commission - much like a peace officer's, only it's a communications officer's.

There are other jobs that are generally civilian staffed and they run the gamut from IT to secretarial.
Old 02-27-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The police department here has a rather large IT department made up of "normal" people.
Old 02-27-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

plenty. go down to the PD and ask or go to your city's human resources dept.

btw, dispatch is not as easy as it seems.
Old 02-27-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're trying to get DeltaSig into the police dept through the back door, we won't let you.
Old 02-27-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These were some of the civilian jobs back when I was on a department...

Radio Dispatch
HR
Evidence Tech
Crime Scene Technician
Community Service Officer
I.T.
Recruiter
Crime analyst
Crime lab

Some agencies even have civilian public information officers (the guys that always do the interviews on tv)