Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Man killed during shark tour

Old 02-26-08, 08:53 PM

Man killed during shark tour

This is SO dumb...

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- The leader of a shark tour whose customer was mauled to death Saturday was warned that his practice of allowing people to swim close to hungry sharks could lead to tragedy, a colleague said.

Shark feeding was banned in Florida in 2001, so dive operators take customers out to Bahamian waters.

Markus Groh -- an Austrian lawyer -- died after being gnawed during a dive led by Jim Abernethy's south Florida company.

Groh, 49, died from loss of blood resulting from the shark attack near the Bahamas, The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office said.

Neal Watson, a president of the Bahamas Diving Association, told CNN he implored Abernethy to stop what Watson considered a dangerous practice: Cageless shark dives specifically targeting dangerous shark species.

"I hate to say I told you so out of respect for the victim's family, but I've always said it wasn't a matter of whether something like this would happen, it was when," he said.

"Abernethy has been swimming with sharks almost his entire life, and is a pioneer in diving with tiger and great hammerhead sharks," the site proclaims. "No one can get you closer, or get you the best photographic opportunities!"

In shark-dive excursions, dead fish and fish entrails are used to attract the sharks and bring them close to the divers. Cageless dives put divers and sharks in close proximity, without a metal underwater cage protecting the diver.

Watson told CNN he also offers a cageless shark tourist experience in the Bahamas, but only with less dangerous species: Caribbean reef sharks, blacktip sharks, blacknose sharks, nurse sharks and silky sharks.
It's stupid on the part of the company owner and dive master, but even DUMBER on the part of anybody who would go diving with this fool! Ugh! I'm disgusted that this accident even happened.

I hate to say he deserved it out of respect for the family, but what the hell did he expect?
Old 02-26-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't say which shark species that bit the diver.
Old 02-26-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
It doesn't say which shark species that bit the diver.

Yeah, crappy reporting there. But I did a google search and found that it was a bull shark.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...6-df1ceb072181

Swimming with a Bull Shark? No thanks.
Old 02-26-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

idiots.
Old 02-26-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BULL SHARK???? What the fuck scuba guide thinking? I mean shark experts knew that Bull Shark is considered man-eater shark than the Great White Shark.
Old 02-26-08, 09:48 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by McHawkson
BULL SHARK???? What the fuck scuba guide thinking? I mean shark experts knew that Bull Shark is considered man-eater shark than the Great White Shark.
Yup. They say that the Bull shark is responsible for more attacks on humans than any other shark species.
Old 02-26-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dumbass.
Old 02-26-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like a great time, antagonize the sharks then jump in with them. I don't see how anything could go wrong with this.
Old 02-26-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shark diving is somewhere below skydiving on my sanity list. Down there with huffing cooking spray, and solo asphyxia.
Old 02-26-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Humorous Pictures
Enter the ICHC online Poker Cats Contest!

Too soon?
Old 02-27-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer

Too soon?

Not really. It's just a human.

But if it was a cat that was killed I'm sure people would be flaming your ass big time.