DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Girl Kidnapped, and Saved by Text Messages

link

Text messages lead police to girl, suspect on the road
By Ryan Lillis - [email protected]

Published 12:00 am PST Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B2

Print | E-Mail | Comments (35) | Digg it | del.icio.us

An alleged kidnapping was foiled Sunday when a 16-year-old Wheatland girl began text-messaging her friend from the suspect's car and police caught up to the pair in Oregon, authorities said.

The girl told police she met 37-year-old David Anthony Faboo through the Web site MySpace and a chat room, according to Wheatland Police Chief Dan Boon. Faboo traveled from his Hillsboro, Ore., home to meet the girl in Wheatland, police said.

The girl's father reported her missing about 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Boon said. A few hours later, the girl began sending text messages to her friend after she had "realized her error" in going with Faboo, police said.

Wheatland police worked with the girl's friend, who continued texting with the girl until police could track her location. Working with the girl's cell phone company, police said they discovered she was traveling north on Interstate 5 toward the Oregon state line.

Wheatland police, Yuba County sheriff's deputies and the Oregon State Police determined Faboo was driving a white pickup truck, police said.

The truck was pulled over about 12:20 p.m. near Grants Pass, Ore. about 300 miles north of Wheatland and Faboo was arrested on suspicion of second-degree kidnapping and custodial interference, police said. He is being held in the Jackson County, Ore., jail and Boon said he will be extradited to California.

The girl, whom Wheatland police said has a "diminished mental capacity," was shaken by the experience but unharmed. She was reunited with her family Sunday night.

"She's a young girl who has been through a very traumatic experience," Boon said.
Mugshot:

This story is just fucking weird. There are so many things wrong here, one if this girl had a "diminished mental capacity," then why the fuck are her parents allowing her to use the internet without supervision, and then how was she able to meet up with this sicko? Also, why is she texting her friend, and not her parents, or even calling the police. Don't get me wrong, this guy is a sick fucknig bastard who can sit in jail for the rest of his life for all I care, but it seems like it should have never happened. Her parents dropped the ball here also.
Old 02-26-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whoa. I graduated from Wheatland High. Very small town with absolutely nothing to do.
Old 02-26-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dieinafire
Mugshot:
Zach Galifianakis ought to be ashamed of himself.
Old 02-26-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The news was right: MYSPACE IS BAD!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Playing Devil's advocate, I don't see much in this story proving that this guy was up to no good. It's entirely possible that she said she was 18, and apparently agreed to go with him willingly. Maybe her imagination was running away with her, and this guy was only just planning a fun day out. Poorly written story.
Old 02-26-08, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Zach Galifianakis ought to be ashamed of himself.
Your right, that's hilarious.
Old 02-26-08, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Playing Devil's advocate, I don't see much in this story proving that this guy was up to no good. It's entirely possible that she said she was 18, and apparently agreed to go with him willingly. Maybe her imagination was running away with her, and this guy was only just planning a fun day out. Poorly written story.
Yes, I thought so too, I should have put that in my first post, but I still think the guy was pretty skeevy.
Old 02-26-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few hours later, the girl began sending text messages to her friend after she had "realized her error" in going with Faboo, police said.
Women always changing their mind.
Old 02-26-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Omg Hlp! Bion Sum1 Kdnpd Me! Sv Me! Im Nt Lol'g! Call 911 U Noob! Tia, G2g! Ta4n...tmb
Old 02-26-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've found that most people who text message have "diminished mental capacity". Here they are using a phone to TYPE (usually while driving)! Why not just dial the phone and talk to your friend? Isn't it way more of a hassle to "text" your pal?
Old 02-26-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Whoa. I graduated from Wheatland High. Very small town with absolutely nothing to do.
Well, don't just sit there in your melancholy.

Get kidnapped!

It's the NEW rage for being bored.
Old 02-26-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 7Keys
Omg Hlp! Bion Sum1 Kdnpd Me! Sv Me! Im Nt Lol'g! Call 911 U Noob! Tia, G2g! Ta4n...tmb
Now, that's funny.

Even for a non-texter like me.
Old 02-27-08, 03:02 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

glad she made it out alive. but yeah parents should have been monitoring her internet usage
Old 02-27-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Now, that's funny.

Even for a non-texter like me.
I'm not a texter either. I had to look up the abbreviations